Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

From concept to creation 3: September - Freight systems

Discussion in 'Community Creations' started by AutoMcD, Aug 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. AutoMcD Senior Engineer

You can't trust that to happen. Might not be pulling your own carts around. ;)

2. HollowVoices Trainee Engineer

Welp, I'm at the point where I'm done trying lol. It turned out bigger than I intended, and turns out I goofed up and had the merge block on top and the connectors on bottom. Oops. Oh well, I'm done with it and I'll leave it here as eye candy at least. Haven't even tested it out or anything but it looks good and has good agility for a ship its size. It's airtight and has front and rear automated airlock systems. Bridge airlock is a bit awkward since I didn't leave myself any real room to place a proper one. It's set up to push and pull. You can easily have multiples of it. Here's some pics and a link to it on the workshop.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=505807641[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  3. AutoMcD Senior Engineer

Great job! This should be a good contest. :)

4. Sentinel-Ghost Apprentice Engineer

Completed Finally!

[​IMG]

Freight Transporter + carriages and cargo modules.
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=517781722

Features:

Crew: 1-3
    Life-support Functional
    Forward & Aft carriage connectors & merge blocks.
    Forward & Aft Control Decks & Cameras.
    4 Jump drives and 4 Large Reactors.
    Cargo modules able to be seperated from carriages. Cargo modules are also stackable.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Kanazawai Trainee Engineer

Both of your "trains" look cool and it's nice to see the different styles/solutions. What about some sort of race at the end? Not just speed, because the ship with biggest jump distance would easily win...finished with some head to head collision or something like that?! :D

6. AutoMcD Senior Engineer

I kinda feel more like it should be a tractor pull or some sort of cargo relay race. :)
    Real life got in the way, I have barely touched games at all this month. Hopefully things clear up in the next week for me, I really want to get in on my own idea here.

7. Kanazawai Trainee Engineer

Yes something like that, just to have some fun with the engines.^^

8. SDragon42 Apprentice Engineer

This month is going by fast. Really hope I can get this done in time!

9. AutoMcD Senior Engineer

Think we should extend it? There aren't really enough entries yet but there is definitely interest in it.

10. Kanazawai Trainee Engineer

If we get more entries, why not?!
    Besides yesterday both of my HDD crashed. One with "funny" noises (as far as the sounds of a dying HDD without backup can be funny)....and one simply not loading windows (this one holds all SE related stuff)....damn :( ...so maybe I'm out...

11. AutoMcD Senior Engineer

Sorry to hear that! I hope you can recover the data. I also hope at you've shared your designs on the workshop, can recover them from there!

12. AutoMcD Senior Engineer

Deadline has officially been extended!

I have a request. Would someone be willing to devise a scenario to test these? A cargo pull relay race type course.

13. Dragon0G Junior Engineer

[​IMG]

Eh? Anyone? :woot:

14. Kanazawai Trainee Engineer

• Like Like x 1
  15. picklerok Junior Engineer

I assure you, I have a submission under way. I've been struggling to come up with a good design, but I've finally come up with one I'm happy with. Now I just have to finish it.

16. SDragon42 Apprentice Engineer

I don't have to stress trying to my train finished as working by tomorrow! Woot!

Now I have to resist the urge to change what I already have. :D This contest has definitely been more of a challenge for me then the last I tried. But fun all the same!

17. picklerok Junior Engineer

Do we need scenarios? I thought we'd just do it like the Prospector challenge.

18. estile606 Trainee Engineer

been toying with something for this, a solar sail type ship, but cant seem to get the sail to not look like a big blue slab. Oh well, maybe not then

19. AutoMcD Senior Engineer

"Need" is a strong word, honestly I have not played with scenarios and if it works then would be a fun novelty.

I really liked how the prospector reviews went down. Everyone had different priorities and opinions in how they judged.. it wasn't a matter of simple calculation.

20. picklerok Junior Engineer

With the game in a more stable state than the last few updates and the Star Wars Battlefront Beta no longer available, I assure you I am working on a submission. You never actually gave an official extended deadline. Are we assuming end of October?

21. AutoMcD Senior Engineer

Yes. I'm hoping we get a few more completed submissions. If the thread stays this quiet then we may be extending it again. :/

22. 3eepoint Junior Engineer

About to read the specs now, I think I can menege something......

23. SDragon42 Apprentice Engineer

I'm still working on my entry, but it is mostly done (I hope).
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  24. ancienthighway Trainee Engineer

This is something entirely new for me. First time building a Large Ship. First time getting oxygen and airlocks to work properly. I'm sure there's a host of other firsts, too.

My first iteration was seriously under powered. I had loaded up one wagon of 8 large containers with steel plates. 1,600,000 plates roughly equaled volume capacity in Survival Mode. Hooked up my engine, and nothing happened. Hooked up a second engine, adding more large thrusters to both. I got movement, but at maybe .1 m/s. While i was getting results with forward and backwards, all other directions were at a standstill. Ship routed to the scrapyard.

This is my second iteration. I built the Auxillery Thruster (AT) unit first. The forward and aft thrusters are inside the frame of the AT with left right up and down in the bulges to the side. Eight solar panels are on top and bottom supplying charge for 24 batteries. Remote control, antenna, beacon, gravity generator, and gyroscopes round out the meat of the AT. The AT only has the merge block, fore and aft. It has no cargo capability, and even if it did, there's no reason for cargo to pass into or through the AT. Camera's and guide lights to assist connections.

Once the AT was completed, I extended it to make the Cab. The remote control was replaced by a flight seat. Three jump drives and 2 large reactors were added in, along with an airlock, oxygen generation, med bay, and cyro chamber.

The cargo wagons have collectors on top for loading and a row of connectors on the bottom for off-loading. Fore or Aft connectors could be used for either task. A battery, gyroscope, stabilizing thrusters, lights and camera round out the equipment.

Chaining a Cab with as many ATs as needed will move as many wagons as needed. With my limited experience with SE, I can't see ever needed to move eight large ship large containers of anything. I can see using the small containers, possibly putting a matrix of merge blocks on the Cab and AT to connect multiple wagons directly to the propulsion units instead of chaining them together.

[​IMG]
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=539552051

Last edited: Oct 22, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
  25. SDragon42 Apprentice Engineer

@ancienthighway
    The reason why the picture isn't working is because the "link" is to your steam screenshot library, not to the picture in your library. I've done that almost every time I post a pic.
    You have to actually click on the image from your library, then you can right-click on it can copy it's link location. You should then get this link:
    Code:
    http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/639868605267725018/925CEEEF4BE173A4AB0462FF2F091A992334E6AA/

26. Bacon004 Trainee Engineer

That looks pretty good! Here's my teaser. I'll definitely have it done before the deadline:
    [​IMG]

27. Bacon004 Trainee Engineer

Mine is finally "done." The main script on the engine doesn't work because of bugs in the latest patch. If they fix the issues I will update the script.

Freight Car and Engine

The engine alone has a base acceleration of about 10 m/s². The engine and car fit within the given criteria. The engine and car feature a custom script to assign an ID to each block on the ship, so that when multiple engines and cars are merged, it is clearer as to what blocks belong to which ship and also to avoid other programming blocks getting confused if there is more than one block with the same name. The ID can be easily changed by passing it as an argument through the programming block.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=542060293
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=542059733

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here there are a few engines and carts linked together:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 26, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
  28. Mobiyus Apprentice Engineer

Been tinkering with this challenge on and off since september but I just can't come up with an aesthetically pleasant design. So I think I'll just submit my brick when completed.

29. SDragon42 Apprentice Engineer

I like this idea. Would I be able to tinker with your script any maybe use it on my own ship?

30. Bacon004 Trainee Engineer

By all means. The script is fairly user-friendly. Put the code in the programming block, then type in a 4-letter any-character code. Any blocks without an assigned ID will receive one, and and blocks with a different ID will reassigned the new ID. Be careful not to try and assign an ID while two ships are merged, or all blocks from both ships will be assigned the same ID. Also, don't include the '*' character in any of your ship's block names, or else it will mess up the ID script.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.