Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

From concept to creation 3: September - Freight systems

Discussion in 'Community Creations' started by AutoMcD, Aug 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. HollowVoices Trainee Engineer

Allllllrighty. Here's my final version. I would like to present to you all; The Mule Liner
    As well as the Mule Liner Fuel Car(not necessary but I figured, why not?)

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=542721638

The Mule Liner is a Ion/Hydrogen hybrid. For normal use Ion Engines are more than enough, but when a huge haul is required you can easily use the four large hydrogen engines for short term speed boosts. (two forward two rear) Easily stacks for times when more power is better.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG][​IMG][/url][/IMG]

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=542734169

The fuel car has 12 hydrogen tanks and 6 oxygen tank. More than enough supplies for extended convoy missions. Includes built in walkway to get to the next cargo car in line.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  2. SDragon42 Apprentice Engineer

I think I am barely getting this posted before the deadline, but here is my "mostly" completed entry. :D

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=545788514
    [​IMG]

This is a complete Train set for this contest. It has:
    1 Locomotive Engine (Sapphire)
    1 Docking car – landing pad for small craft
    1 spotter craft (The Bug)
    3 cargo cars (the first car is loaded to capacity with steel plates).

Both the locomotive and the “bug” have a timer called “Heartbeat”. If either doesn’t seem to be working, make sure they are both running.

The Sapphire features:
    3 fully program controlled air-locks.
    Self-closing doors
    Oxygen generator management
    Changing of the ship identifier on the locomotive blocks (for when more than one locomotive will be used.
    2 Cryo-chambers
    4 displays showing the ship’s status
    9 Jump Drives for long distance trips

The Bug features:
    Fully battery powered
    Automatic disabling of thrusters and gyroscopes when the landing gear and/or connector are locked to a structure.

The Cargo Cars:
    8 Large cargo containers
    Battery, Thrusters and gyroscopes to stabilize the cargo car when not connected to a train.

• Like Like x 1
  3. AutoMcD Senior Engineer

Great stuff so far! I love it.

Speaking of, how many people out there are still working but not done yet?
    I'll start that list with myself, could use a little more time.
    2 more weeks?

4. 3eepoint Junior Engineer

Same her

5. REDSHEILD Junior Engineer

I have a concept in the works. Are hydrogen thrusters allowed?

6. AutoMcD Senior Engineer

They didn't exist when the contest started, but I see no reason to exclude them. They are part of the game and we have plenty of time if anyone wishes to update their craft.

That said, I don't see any reason to need them. This is a space freighter, getting things from the planet will be done in smaller pieces using craft more specialized for that sort of thing. And using them for derping around in space seems wasteful. They haul ass for sure but use a TON of ice.

7. SDragon42 Apprentice Engineer

If any of you are planning to include a small ship to help merge your trains (like I did), I found a bug that you should be aware of (or the game just doesn't like me! LOL)

What I found was if I had the small ship connected to my train by both a connector and it's landing gears, and I tried to un-merge one of the cars, the entire train would start doing backflips!
    If I had just the landing gears locked, then the car would separate from the grid terminal system, but the car was still acting like it was attached to the train. A save and reload would fix it.
    Only when the small ship was connected with just the connector is everything seem to work as it should.

8. AutoMcD Senior Engineer

• Like Like x 1
  9. AutoMcD Senior Engineer

[​IMG]

tests going well.

[​IMG]

And exceedingly easy to crash trains.

10. Mobiyus Apprentice Engineer

Oh man I worked late to finish this one before the contest deadline and planets :p Have to wake-up in 4 hours... and I feel it's going to be like this for a little while :D
    My initial attempts were unsatisfying to say the least but I'm finally happy with the design I made. The ring thruster pod is the only way I found to fit enough thrusters without the ship looking like a potato. Also there's a few flaws like the need for a Gyro car for pulling more that 12-15 cars. But no more time for it now, when I'll come back from work tomorrow, planets will be there waiting in my update queue :carlton:

Here's my entry:http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=552947825

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  11. SDragon42 Apprentice Engineer

:eek: I think you have the most raw power of any entry I have seen so far.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. AutoMcD Senior Engineer

I agree.
    So I'm curious if there's an easy way to determine recommended tow rating per engine, and cost. Because for certain size train we will need varying numbers of engines depending on the model.. And they all have varying construction costs. All important questions for the discerning businessman.

13. Mobiyus Apprentice Engineer

Well it's a train :) I figured it should have much, much pulling power, as IRL

I don't think there's ''an easy way'', but there certainly is a way. I just don't know how I would go about to get these figures... The only thing I know is that as of yesterday, one large thruster can push/pull just over 179,500,000 KG. That's a lot! (Not complaining, keep it that way Keen plz :) )

14. AutoMcD Senior Engineer

The game is unplayable for me until I get a new gaming system. My poor old laptop simply can't flip enough flops. Someone else has to cook up some sort of crazy train rating system.

15. SDragon42 Apprentice Engineer

Even when in space systems without planets?

16. AutoMcD Senior Engineer

Kinda yeah. Only added 2 cars and I'm down to 10fps. I get things built but can't realistically evaluate performance. It's simply time for new hardware. Laptop is great because I travel a lot for work but this really needs a full size graphics card.

17. Dante McFox Junior Engineer

Somehow i lost the Blueprint i showed of earlier... must have overwritten it accidentially somewhere while building... instead of starting the same again i decided to do something different, looking at all that great concepts shown off already, take what i like most, like Mobiyus' Thrusterring or the wheels for bumpers, and merge them into one chassis together with my own vision...
    What comes out will get a post here FYI, but im off of any competition with this, since most ideas are shamelessly stolen from here! ;)
    I dont think it would qualify anyways, waggons lack own propulsion stuff and such... so nevermind it, its just there...
    [​IMG]As you can see, my basic design, orientated horizontally now, and with alot of ... inspiration! :words:
    First on picture the Auxillary-Engine with 2 LargeIons front/back and some small ones around, after that the Main Engine with Medbay, Cryopods, pressurized Interior, Status LCDs and mentioned Thrusterring around(not that excessive like the original, dont got the same raw power, but is cheaper to make), next in line 3 Cargo-Waggons (2 Large Boxes each), Reffinery- & Assambler-Waggon, O2-Waggon, Hydrogen-Waggon, one Waggon with Solarpanels and O2-Farms and last a Personal-Waggon with 12 Cryopods...
    Will upload as soon as i finished group naming, LCD Setups and such... hopefully noone feels stepped on their feet with this, its just... you guys are better! :(

• Like Like x 1
  18. AutoMcD Senior Engineer

I'm back in, new computer getting 80+ FPS :)

• Like Like x 5
  19. SDragon42 Apprentice Engineer

Ouch! I liked the look of your original design too.

Nothing wrong with taking inspiration from others. I know I have.

The thruster requirement for the cars was removed. The freight cars themselves are completely optional even.

I know I don't feel that way. I like these contests because I learn more about building better ships, and it forces me to improve my skills.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  20. Mobiyus Apprentice Engineer

@Dante McFox Very nice design, I like what you did there :) I consider this a valid entry. Good job man!

21. AutoMcD Senior Engineer

It's all for fun anyways. :)

• Like Like x 1
  22. AutoMcD Senior Engineer

Pro tip: blind jumping with one of these is crazy. I went over 5 million km past the planet I was scoping out...

23. Dante McFox Junior Engineer

24. Infekted Apprentice Engineer

Hey there,
    Had to quickly weigh in on this. I recently built a freighter. Similar in concept to this comp, but not quite. And well, it's scary how much mass you can fit in Cargo Containers even on 1x inventory size. My freighter weighed in around 11k tons empty, then 77.5k tons when full on 1x. I started off with Ion drive, but had to retrofit Hydrogen after filling it. Not crazy amounts, just enough allow some kind of acceleration when packin serious mass. Consumption isn't too bad tbh, if used sparingly, and you have the capacity for a bit of spare ice on a hauler.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.