Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Functionality & Performance VS Aesthetics & Originality

Discussion in 'General' started by Evito, Oct 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Evito Apprentice Engineer

While all true, thats not to say you cannot design your ships as an excercise. It doesnt take an astrophysicist or a space engineer to figure out that having your reactors on wings that are attached by two light armour blocks to the main hull will not be a very functional warship for example.

Or for example if we do get rotating and moving asteroids as hazards, you wouldnt want to keep all the bays and equipment exposed on your mining support vessel now would you? You'd want to cover it in atleast one layer of light armour, or even medium to protect it from impacts.

2. Falidell Apprentice Engineer

there is a form of beauty in pretenders. i build a ship in creative and pretend it's a fully functional ship and how i believe it would function. like how i think conveyors should create a system of connected resource components. ie. reactors for fuel, refineries for ore and ingots, assemblers for assembled components, turrets for ammo, and cargo cans for storage. i also place armor around important parts. got to keep those arteries(conveyors) safe and i do crash tests multiple tests at multiple angles. then i do a little role play pretend mining. role up on an roid play 'nico vega-beast' and explore the roid like i'm mining. and head back to the main ship and see how i would like to interact with it. for ease of mining and resource drops. i make corrections as necessary. the result is an entirely complete and theoretical ship that just needs to be survival tested. but i believe all the role play and crash testing really helps. real engineers don't take a product out of R&D until they are satisfied it's ready for actual use in the field, as a pre-production experimental asset. only after the live experiments and final changed does it actually go to production.

it's a time consuming and expensive piece of equipment. proper planning and critical thinking and role play will save a LOT of headache.

3. Nivve Apprentice Engineer

But on the other hand you could argue that people use creative as practice or to make blueprints for the survival gamemode, and hence the actual gamemode is not that big of a difference.

I would argue that creative is an actually better measure, since the foundation of the argument is not distorted by chaos and crisis in shipbuilding. When you get repeated raids, even the most aestetic focused player will move to a functional building pattern. Hence I think survival is a bad way to see whether people are building functional or aesthetic creations.

The inherent 'are you functional or aestetic (or both)' is the interesting question, not what people would do under pressure of pvp (because that's predictably skewed towards functional).

4. SporadicIdiocy Trainee Engineer

In the end it'll depend on final gameplay. Players will refine their designs according to the parameters set for a particular game mode I suppose.

5. Evito Apprentice Engineer

That'll affect functional ships more than those with aesthetics taking priority. Since functional ships tend to be designed around specific mechanics to maximize their efficiency. While you can still build a nice aesthetic ship that'll perform adequately and even be functional in PvP, it'll most likely lose to an equilevant sized ship that was designed purely for combat.

6. KriegsMeister Apprentice Engineer

It depends on what I am building. If I am making a military or mining vessel, functionality and performance take priority, but if I am just in the mood to make something cool looking or some sort of luxury cruiser I go for the aesthetics and worry about the performance later. But I predominantly create military and war vessels because those are what I enjoy most (hence the name KriegsMeister which is german for WarMaster)

7. SporadicIdiocy Trainee Engineer

Hence it'll be dependent on game mode. I'd bet those who mostly build for aesthetics will stick to sandbox creative mode, while the survival/functionalty crowd will lean towards co-op or pvp.
    It's still too early to say though what the devs have in store for us. I hope there'll be a puzzle/creative problem solving challenges of some sort, where we create contraptions to accomplish a set goal. Maybe a rescue mission or emergency/disaster containment, that sort of things. I'd much prefer those over straight up pvp.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.