Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Future of SE?

Discussion in 'General' started by honya15, Sep 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Harrekin Master Engineer

Sweetheart, sorry to break this to you...

If you mod the source and compile it...

Its not vanilla.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. tankmayvin Senior Engineer

SE has had a small but very steady player base for quite some time.

It is not hemorrhaging anything.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Hotshot Jimmy Senior Engineer

Any evidence to back this up?

Again where is your source?

Source on the haemorages?

Hate to break it to you but that's what happens when we all use the same blocks. You say it's all the same ships but take a look at the creativity that comes out of this game. Last time I checked none of my ships look the same as someone elses. Ye they are made of the same blocks but hey, that's engineering. And half the blocks? The only two I know of that have a few reoccuring issues from week to week (big issues sometimes) is the piston and rotor.

4. Harrekin Master Engineer

Some people have stopped playing temporarily until there's some more content because they've been playing for hundreds of hours and want moar.

Mike mistakes this with permanently losing players, whereas it actually helps player retention in the long run because there's less burnouts.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Mike55520 Apprentice Engineer

http://steamcharts.com/app/244850#All

The peak was 23k players. Average now per day is roughly 6k. Its slowly trickling lower.
    Actually this chart confirms my theory moreso than i orioriginally thought. Its showing MASSIVE influx of players every few months that almost immediately disappears amd goes back to presurge levels. This tells us that people still like the idea but theres something about the execution that is not retaining them.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
  6. Burillo Junior Engineer

i play SE on and off. there are periods when i'm spending hours in game every day (mainly when i have enough ideas to develop a new version of my script), there are periods where i don't start SE for months. i would imagine most players are like that, so probably those 6k aren't 6k of the same players every day. i bet if you count unique players per month, the number would be much higher.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. Hotshot Jimmy Senior Engineer

Who doesn't enjoy some Skyrim or World of Warships every now and again :) , SE due to its nature is very addictive and as Harrekin said prone to burnouts and f*** this s***.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. Devon_v Senior Engineer

Gotta agree, I binge SE rather than playing consistently. I went three months without touching it then played for a week straight. Sometimes it's a matter of waiting for an idea to strike, or seeing a cool new mod.

Right now SRWOG: Moon Dwellers and Disgaea 5 have my attention, but I'll be back. I've still got just over 500 hours in a game I payed $20 for, which is far beyond my expected entertainment hours per dollar.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Mike55520 Apprentice Engineer

Thats all well and good but you guys are people who have been aroubd since the beginning. Ypur average person wont do what you or i do. Im not tearing the game down its still awesome, but there needs to be some serious work done on things like survival, late game, end game, believable dangers and objectives ect.

10. Lothos Apprentice Engineer

I got to wondering about SE's life expectancy myself a bit today as I started looking thru the mods I've used for a couple years now and noticing so many authors having quit SE modding and moved on etc...

Is SE "done" developing and not to see major advancement anymore? I mean, so many things we've taken to mods to fill the gap for so long it can make you wonder if the devs are ever going to fill in some holes etc... I'm thinking more big picture view mind you than any one specific thing.

11. beelzerob Apprentice Engineer

While I won't go and say it's easy, but writing an AI that can traverse the surface is a part of pretty much every other game I play. While I'd love a challenging AI in space, I'd be pretty happy if there was a credible threat just on the surface of the planet. Turn my SE planet game into a tower defense direction and suddenly I'm excited. What about an enemy device that renders flight impossible so you have to either attack with a ground vehicle (whoa, a reason for wheels!) or wait until they get to your base and lay into them before they destroy you. Think 7 days to die but with robot hordes instead of zombies.

Oh well, just day dreaming...

• Like Like x 1
  12. notanewbie Trainee Engineer

The creators have spoken, the "game" is finished, besides "polishing" and "bug fixing". It's a content generator, nothing more, nothing less. Such a disappointment. I've always thought they'd develop reasons for the content you create, but that does not seem to be in the cards. There is absolutely no purpose to build anything other than a drill ship. I digress, there is no real need to drill either, since anything you create with the ore has no practical purpose in the "game", and only serves as fodder for your imagination.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. FlakMagnet Senior Engineer

The creators have not spoken and nobody has said the game is finished. Well...nobody who has any real idea of what is going on anyway. Lots of people have spoken, but they are not members of the development team, and not privvy to any useful information. It is so 'finished' that Marek has put up a $40k incentive to re-write the online code, the rendering and lighting have recently been re-done and a load of new improved block designs are being done. Marek is stepping back to focus on Good AI, and a new team leader is being appointed. That's quite an investment for a 'polishing session'.
    Still..

Be they prophets of doom or prophets of nirvana....the facts are not in the public domain, so I see little point in listening to either extreme. The game is still a fun way to pass some time, and that works for me.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  14. notanewbie Trainee Engineer

I know reality is tough sometimes, but the developer said it himself. If you think the "game" is going to change beyond the current iteration of a useless content generator, you are sadly mistaken. I can handle the bugs and glitches, what I cant handle is a useless content generator, and this is apparently what they want. They've given you the ability to build a whole bunch of stuff that serves no practical purpose. They've done what Lincoln logs and Lego's have accomplished, but at a much greater expense.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2016
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  15. FlakMagnet Senior Engineer

You assume that 'nearly' means all....and that 'assembled' means released. There is a gulf between opinion and fact, time will tell how big or small.

After the snippet you quoted, Marek then went on to list a massive number of fixes, changes and improvements. He also...prior to your snippet had mentioned how there were features already in game they never planned. You have your view. I have mine. They differ.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Mike55520 Apprentice Engineer

for what its worth, i love pvp.

17. notanewbie Trainee Engineer

What part(s) is he adding to make use of the content we create within the software? Nothing in that blog or anything subsequently has indicated they are going to incorporate a purpose for our creations. I'm not even sure you disagree with my conclusion, but rather want to defend the developer from criticism. The core "game play" is not going to change, it's all about creating objects that have no practical purpose within the software. I like playing with leggo's as much as the next person, but I've been there and done that. I was expecting way more than simply a sandbox to build things.

18. chrisb Senior Engineer

I think its best to 'rest' games from time to time. That way you'll enjoy them even more when you return.

SE is a game that can both excite and frustrate at the same time. But most good games are like that, especially indie games, where your thinking 'if only', but then you have to think, that 'only' has more chance of happening in an indie game than a mainstream one. Mainly because many indie devs talk directly to their players and can & do, introduce things that the community ask for, provided enough ask for it. 'Enough' being the -instrument- a dev should gauge by.

My only concern with games like SE, is that a group of players can start to sway the devs into a direction that the game should be careful of going. It happens in quite a number of indie games and the devs do have to be watchful of this. A dozen players saying one thing, doesn't account for the 'few million' players playing the game.
    Provided a dev is careful of that and implement what they set out to do in their original vision, then it should be more in-line with what players bought into.. i.e. they didn't buy into ideas put forward by a small group of players , they bought into the idea of the dev teams vision (more-so early on).

Some games go on to employ modders from the community, but to go too far with that is also a problem, because the game starts to lean and go in a direction that can be different from that of the original devs involved. The Arma series is like that to a degree. Many modders have been employed by the company and over time you see their influence swaying the game. Thats not a good thing in many cases. In other cases it can be great, but I find that case to be rare. Best for the devs to stick with their own vision, not that of a small number of players. Employ modders by all means, if they have the talent, but then make sure they understand that the game is travelling in a certain direction, not allow too much influence that can/will derail it later on. (not a popular view probably, but mine nevertheless ;))

On the whole, SE is still very much worth playing, I hope it remains that way.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. FlakMagnet Senior Engineer

No....I disagree with your conclusion.

I also think the source of your disaffection for the game is in your last sentence. It was never meant to be more than a simple sandbox to build things, and survival had only just been added when I bought the game. It has developed a lot since then, but that development won't be to everyone's taste. I disagree with your conclusion...but I do understand why you have reached them and respect your viewpoint. I just don't share it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. RayvenQ Moderator

So you're basically saying this in development, unfinished game needs is......developing and finishing?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  21. Rabir Trainee Engineer

They can leave it like that, but it will be dead soon. Whithout any aftergame targets, SE will be just boring after you built your 100th ship... Games where you have practical use of your creation will erase SE from the market. Like DualUniverse, if it won't be such a scam like NMS...
    Me and my friends like to build battleships but for what, if we can't use them for giant space fights? You canbuild a tank, a fighter but why? If you can't do anything with it. Building is fun for a while, but after you build everything it will be just boring as hell...

22. Commander Rotal Master Engineer

To build it. It's a building game first, second and third. Using your creations for something is merely a nice addition. Besides, SE doesn't have a subscription, it can't really "die". As soon as you paid for it your side of the transaction is over.

23. Burillo Junior Engineer

that's the definition of a sandbox. there's no "why". this is why some of my friends didn't like the game, and this is why i played the shit out of it (more than any other game i've ever played). i set my own goals, and i achieve them. if you expect the game to hold your hand and provide you with goals... well, maybe SE isn't for you. or maybe you should try scenario editor.

24. Phoera Senior Engineer

read not just why, but whole sentence.
    is it easy to get why.

but when there is come second thing, you can build, you know why, you can't use after.

i think he means this.

sandbox is not instagram, where you create cool thing, get a photo and delete.

25. notanewbie Trainee Engineer

Ha! What do you think my conclusion is?
    --- Automerge ---
    Most people when they purchase a game, want to play a game, not a toy dressed up like a game. You talk like there are any meaningful goals you can set and accomplish in this "game", whether SE does it or not. There is no AI. You can not even create goals to accomplish. Of course, if I wanted to set the goal to mine 1 million tons of gold, sure...if that is your cup of tea.

26. Burillo Junior Engineer

i know what he meant, but that's exactly the point. i'm pretty sure that's the definition of a sandbox game. that's why it's called a "sandbox" - there's no "goal" as such. you just sit around and play with the sand. you can make castles out of it, you can bring cars and make roads and what not, you can play godzilla and destroy your friend's castly, but at the end of the day it's just sand, and the point is what you make of it. why would you build a sand castle? it'll get washed away by the tides anyway, so what's the point? there is none. it's just sand. you build for the sake of it, just because you can.

for example, take a game like X3TC. it's a classic sandbox game - sure, there's a lot to do, but there's no point. OK, you've bought your ship. OK you started trading. OK you built a closed loop complex money generator. then what? there's no point. you can try and set goals for yourself, you can complete the campaign (that's why SE devs are working on visual scripting tool, duh!), but there's no purpose to the game, other than to engage in sandbox mechanics and build something out of them. SE is similar in nature, except the mechanics at play are a bit different (and it's way more fun as a result - as much as i enjoyed X3TC, i'm not into spreadsheet gaming).

then they shouldn't have bought a sandbox game.

that's not the only goal you can come up with. you can try and build a wheeled miner (i did, and failed, but failure is a result too). you can try and build an efficient and aesthetically pleasing base (i did, lots of times - lots of scripting comes out of my efforts to build a base that i don't have to micromanage). you can try and go to space from a planet (i do, i build rockets and a modular space station, satellites and whatnot - the logistics of this alone is enough to keep me occupied for days). you can build some Goldberg machine-like contraption to try and mine/fly/build in an unobvious way (like those walking mechs, or space elevator, or an excavator, or this, or that). you can try one of the different scenarios available from the workshop where you start with nothing and are supposed to survive.

sure, it's easier and more fun for me, because i find no joy in neither PvE nor PvP (i prefer coop), so this game is more enjoyable to me than your average player. but still, there's lots to be done in this game.

27. Lothos Apprentice Engineer

on the subject of goals. I'd like to be able to populate a smallish galaxy with stations and ships and perhaps interact with a few friends roleplaying or something. The problem though is the machine you host on can only handle so much. Yes, the game is a sandbox, but in reality its not a very large or deep sandbox. Now, is it a fault of SE or the machine? hard to say sometimes, but food for thought.

28. Phoera Senior Engineer

as you sayd, you can destroy, you can make huge wars.
    but in SE you can't do this.
    so SE will tear itself down to 'hey, i create cool ship, but it can fly only on 5 UPS", this kill definition you wrote.
    all X-series have plot and tasks.
    but X3 is more agile in this.
    but again, there is many can, but small amount of can't.
    (of cource here you can create 1k stations and lag game down, but there must be logical limits after all:))
    machine of cource :)
    but, if SE will be optimized requarements will be lower.
    --- Automerge ---
    i sometime play in multiplayer, my faction just survive(for example on mars), build and expand, but once time i played here(on earth) my main problem was surviving SE bugs, then anything else.
    yes, game have good engineer potential, i will not argue with this.
    but it also have multiplayer, it have weapons, friend/foe system.
    then it must be avaliable to be used.

29. Malware Master Engineer

:stare: Jeebus... You're not asking for much, are you... :eek:ops:

I'd be more than happy with a couple more planets and some more distance between them. That'd be able to maintain a sizable MP population (provided they can get that to work).

• Like Like x 1
  30. FlakMagnet Senior Engineer

and....... my respect for your viewpoint just reached it's conclusion...

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.