Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Galactic Cartel Foundation | Showcase

Discussion in 'Community Creations' started by Nostrian, Apr 21, 2016.

?

You decide what comes next!

1. Finish the Mining-Crawler first?

50.0%
  2. Military:...

50.0%
  3. Civil:...

50.0%
  4. Frigate

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Carrier

50.0%
  6. Corvette

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Ground Vehicle/Tank

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Small Ships

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Ground Base

50.0%
  10. Space Station

50.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Hellothere! Apprentice Engineer

I don't think that's really how he did it. From what I found when comparing the vessels it would be quite possible to build something at the level of similarity of the destor without ever subscribing to the atlas simply by looking at the workshop photos.
    Now, I find it way more likely that he actually used an in-game reference, but I don't think he build his vessel from the basis of that reference (by adding and removing parts from it), but by building a new vessel next to it.

I don't see why he would go through all the effort of gutting the ship, taking it apart and then putting it back together with ever so slightly different dimensions, while at the same time redesigning the hull in a way that doesn't even try to hide the fact that the ships are extremely similar. Especially when his other two copies (Ravric's tank and the Eidelon/Nomad) are almost identical to the original when it comes to functional components and dimensions.

Edit:

I just had an idea how we might get some actual hard data on this. Since the update that brought the revised build system the anchor point for blueprints has become identical with the grid anchor point. This means that if the destor is indeed an altered copy of the atlas they should project from the same block using a projector.
    I will try to test whether this is actually the case and what the results for the two ships are. I'll be back with results shortly.
    --- Automerge ---
    Okay, so I have confirmed that grids from the same origin use the same projector anchor point using Ravric's tank and Nostrian's version of it.

Both these screenshots were made using the same projector set to 0 translation and 0 rotation
    on all axis.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 26, 2016
  2. Howitz Junior Engineer

See you next week same day same time for another episode of nostrian's trial lol.

No offense nostrian, at least it's just a game, we're just having fun bashing you for what you did (which is still bad) but it's just a game so ita not that bad lol, so don't feel super bad or wathever...

3. Hellothere! Apprentice Engineer

alright, here is the same thing repeated with the atlas and the destor:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The orientation is identical (which is to expected if both ships were build to be upright in gravity), but the anchor is in a different which would indicate a different starting point for construction. That being said, I have no idea whether it is possible to move the anchor point somehow on an already existing grid.

4. Sarekh Senior Engineer

It
    it is. By cutting and attaching mirrored grids or by altering orientation either via SEtoolbox or in the sbc- it will almost always happen when kitbashing.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. JD.Horx Senior Engineer

The anchor is point is inherited when two grids are merged, so you can just copy and paste a blueprint/ship to a new created landing gear to inherit the landing gears anchor point.

At the moment I am in Portugal, so I won't be able to fire up SE for any further investigation, but I trust in @Hellothere! judging both ships.

It seems he was at least inspired by the atlas frigate, maybe he even copied some design elements, but it seems he put a lot of work in it, although a mention of his source of inspiration would be nice.

Guys, the initial reason for shitstorming was copying Ravric and now his entire workshop is suspicious, but I don't think he explicitly copied my work.

What did we learn in kindergarten?
    Be kind and honest and don't take any reward for something you didn't build on SE's workshop.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. iN5URG3NT Senior Engineer

Uh oh, you got caught by the Space Illuminati... :D

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 4
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.