Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Gatling Gun Turrets Rework

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback' started by HollowVoices, Aug 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. HollowVoices Trainee Engineer

Setting aside all of the "unrealistic guns in space" stuff, I want to focus on game play and issues of Gatling turret guns.

We all love a good space battle. Lots of guns. Lots of shooting. Lots of explosions. Lots of damage.

Gatling turret guns are ridiculously accurate and provide a constant stream of incoming rounds. This combines into a deadly shredding machine for anything using light armor. Use light armor? Any change of direction and speed can result in a lengthy hit and destroy a good sized chunk of your ship. That's no fun at all. The best way to avoid getting hit is to fly in a constant strafe at a constant speed if you want to be able to fire back. (small ships). You could even strafe in circles around a target until they ran out of ammo if you had enough time and patience. This promotes boring and predictable game play.

Another major issue with Gatling gun turrets is the lag they produce in moderate numbers. The constant barrage of shots being calculated can be a real strain on our computers, not to mention multiplayer servers having seizures as a result of too many going at once.

I always say, if you're going to point out a problem, find a solution. well, I have a solution that I believe will remedy all of these issues.

First off is lowering the rate of fire considerably. The less calculations, the better cpu and server performance.

In order to offset the RoF, damage should be increased accordingly.

Now we need to add a scatter effect with a fire cone of a few degrees and thus negating the super accuracy of these turrets. In addition to the scatter effect we need the turrets to accurately lead the targets they're shooting at. This way the pilot of a smallship will find him/herself narrowly missing various shells while still taking the occasional few hits instead of lazily circling without a care in the world. This will provide more "OH CRAP THAT WAS CLOSE" kind of moments. The further away a target is, the less accurate the scatter fire will be. The closer, the more accurate. This will create a much more immersive and dynamic gaming experience when it comes to Space Engineers combat.

So in review,
    This will reduce cpu and server lag, provide a more dynamic and immersive combat experience, help pilots avoid stagnant and boring battles, and overall greatly improve the quality of Space Engineers as a whole.

Thank you for your time,
    Hollow Voices

2. Harrekin Master Engineer

Super Accuracy?

I'd argue they can't hit anything that can fly even vaguely fast.

3. The Q Apprentice Engineer

Yeah you know guns DO work in space, they have enough oxygen in their shells or some other oxydiser (how do you write that?) to trigger the explosion and push the shell out of the gun...

4. Dr. Novikov Apprentice Engineer

Gatling turrets can be easily avoided by a skilled pilot in a properly designed craft. Need a video?

Also, all turrets are helpless against someone sniping them from far away.

5. HollowVoices Trainee Engineer

Guys, guys, guys, this isn't a post claiming that turrets need to be nerfed because they are too accurate.

Yes. Super accuracy. When you aim at one nonmoving point, every single bullet will proceed to that exact same point. This isn't about just avoiding gunfire alone, guys. As I said, in its current state, you can fly lazy circles around a ship and never get hit. That's boring and stagnant gameplay. This is exactly why in my proposed changes I mentioned the turrets should be able to lead their target and not hit the ship with every single shot.

6. GrindyGears Senior Engineer

Don't really want to... But... @DarkGhost I believe you're needed... Other than that I somewhat agree, but I've watched a modern phalanx gun almost rip apart a Hercules because of how accurate they are. When first introduced they were conducting a demonstration of how they work for the Canadian Navy, they had a Herc towing a glider a kilometer out with a 1" steel cable. As instructed by the operator the Herc was deemed friendly and the glider hostile. When it came into engagement range as expected the system ripped the glider apart, but then it got scary as it began tracking the cable and began working it's way toward the Herc. It probably tore apart around 300m of cable before it was shut down. And they're firing much faster then these gatlings.

7. DarkGhost Junior Engineer

How am I required ? Don't forget the "Report" button.
    If it was for the poll, was totally a "Report" worth, not a tagging.

8. GrindyGears Senior Engineer

Sorry about that, in the future I'll use the report button... Erm... Where exactly is it? I'm on mobile and don't see it... (also not wearing glasses....)

9. Dragon0G Junior Engineer

It should be right next to the timestamp.

10. GrindyGears Senior Engineer

I seen it there for the post, is the OP counted as the poll? Am I reporting that post or the poll itself? Sorry for derailing thread

11. Dragon0G Junior Engineer

You should just be able to report the post to bring attention to the poll. Either way, it's taken care of now. :)

12. AstroDeer Trainee Engineer

There are PAGES UPON PAGES of weapon discussions, but you just HAD to write ANOTHER SEPARATE TOPIC about it. Im reporting your ass for not using search function.
    There's a weapons balancing topic in feedback section.

13. HollowVoices Trainee Engineer

Watch out guys, we got a badass over here

Seriously though, if you're going to report a post then just do it. There's absolutely no point in bumping that thread just because you want it known that you're irritated about it.

*EDIT* I just took the liberty of looking through your posts. Are you aware that at least 3/4s of your ideas in your "Batch of Great Ideas" have already made the rounds in the Suggestions forum before? Perhaps you should report yourself for being a hypocrite.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2015
    • Like Like x 4
  14. AstroDeer Trainee Engineer

I know exactly what I'm doing, while you don't. And you're still guilty.

15. HollowVoices Trainee Engineer

Guilty of what? Did you even actually read my original post? I'm not suggesting new weapons or anything like that. I presented issues with the current gatling turrets, broke down those issues, and provided changes that would negate those issues. This post is very specific with how to deal with those issues. All you've done is whine without any good reason. And on top of that as I said before, your "batch" thread has already been covered in many other threads. All you did was lump them all into one thread with no real substance as to why we would even need those changes in the original post. You're a newer forum member acting like you know everything. You're going to end up not having much of a network of players willing to listen to anything you say if you keep that kind of attitude. I'm trying to help you out here, drop the attitude. Don't be a dick needlessly. Be part of the community, don't be detrimental to it.

*EDIT* I just went into the feedback section just to see what you were talking about earlier. There are 3 pages. In those 3 pages, there are only 2 threads discussing weapons. You know what they entailed? One was about the laser on the turrets... the other was about weapons vs armor. One last piece of advice, if you're going to make a claim on here, make sure your information is correct.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Dragon0G Junior Engineer

In your entire time on this forum, you've done little but emphasize just how bad people can be. You constantly post rude, tasteless comments to try to 'put people in their place' as if you are better or more knowledgeable than them. Even when you get polite responses, you still continue! If you keep that attitude, I'm sure almost everyone will agree with me when I say this; you are not welcome here.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Sliyther Trainee Engineer

well, anyway... i like the idea of recoil/inaccuracy, and better tracking. always thought they should be that way. not sure how i feel about less fire rate(i do understand your point) but they fire pretty slow for Gatling guns to begin with. and i feel like they should do more damage to account for the inaccuracy. (but maybe we should design our own weapons?) and use those for point defense?

• Like Like x 1
  18. AstroDeer Trainee Engineer

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotary_cannon
    Did you read what was in those threads? Complaints about how it's better to put more gatling guns that to bother with missles ever. You propose to make the gatlings even more damaging. And those are gatling-type rotary cannons designed specifically to fire faster than anything else with bullets bigger than anything but artillery. You could've mentioned in balance topic how effective they are against light armor and how hard it is to avoid the fire, but also mention how they slow down the computer, but you opted for increasing the amount of topics dedicated to how bad gatlings are in the game. You're still guilty of posting the same thing separately. Do you know my motivation behind the batch of Great ideas?
    People can be pretty bad and you're not helping the image.
    And how would we find out who's more knowledgable? By not voicing our views? Or perhaps by allowing only one side to write? As we know "forum" isn't for excange of opinions, it's for people to have the same opinion.
    It wouldn't be politeness of a response that brings merit, rather the content. Try being right next time, instead of being inoffensive. Do you know my goal behind my topic with a batch of Great ideas?

19. HollowVoices Trainee Engineer

Astrodeer, you are absolutely clueless.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Bumber Senior Engineer

To troll discretely from behind a large mound of below-average suggestions?

• Like Like x 2
  21. AstroDeer Trainee Engineer

No, you're.
    And you know that how?

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.