Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Good Bye Dev Branch - Marek's blog Post regarding the future Release System of Space Engineers

Discussion in 'General' started by Commander Rotal, Mar 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Spets Master Engineer

I can't see the difference in this updating method. isn't the same as it was at the beginning?
    The Stable/Dev idea was a waste of time imo, trying to please the people that just want to play in a server with mods, so we don't hear their complains and rage everyday/week
    Also, a lot of people didn't even knew there was 2 update versions. There was a lot of complains and bug reports from Stable that was already fixed in DEV
    The one thing I see the positive advantage, is that they are going to leave the option to use/choose older versions

2. Commander Rotal Master Engineer

Not quite, though that depends entirely on whether or not they will follow up on the "We're going to test features first to hammer out the more obvious bits and get community-feedback"-bit.
    I do wonder how much community feedback they're gonna get with the CTG, though. It can't have that many testers.

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Vicizlat Apprentice Engineer

OK, what just happened with my previous post and Malware's post after it? They just dissipated and made what I had written here absolutely pointless. I can't be bothered to write it all again...

4. Ravric Apprentice Engineer

"Major updates will not be scheduled with strict dates in advance but rather will be released only when everything is completely tested, fixed and approved by a closed testing group to ensure the build is ok."

If they release a major update and that is true, I will eat a keyboard.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. PyreStarite Junior Engineer

I will hold you up to that. Might want to search cookie keyboards on ebay just in case.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. Malware Master Engineer

I was tired and a bit irritable when I wrote that, it was unnecessarily "aggressive" (for the lack of a better word) so I deleted it and decided not to bother. Why that should affect your post is beyond me. You had no post when I did that though, I refreshed first to make sure.

[Edit] Confrontational, that's the word I'm looking for. Not aggressive.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. halipatsui Senior Engineer

If you refer to "everything is ok" there still probably are loads of bugs that have been missed by the test group.

8. beringtom Trainee Engineer

Let's hope that the testing group is hold to a standard so they won't forget to actually search for bugs... :)

9. Martin R Wolfe Trainee Engineer

@Commander Rotal
    I am holding of commenting on the colour issue on the new HUD till I see how it looks in game. While I am also colour blind as yet I have never had to make use of the colour blind options in other games.

10. Commander Rotal Master Engineer

Well, they usually suck so that one isn't surprising. :woot:

11. Sir_Moodz Apprentice Engineer

Looks like they are taking good ideas from our lord and savior Deepflame. The minor/major method works very well in ME and keeps weekly expectations low, which makes you happy every now and then when they add a new feature. Instead of starting to rage when there is another update with nothing new and not even be happy when they actually do release something.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. Commander Rotal Master Engineer

• Agree Agree x 5
  13. bigsteve Trainee Engineer

Seems that it just a renaming
    Rollback now becomes stable
    And
    Stable now becomes dev
    LLolz

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  14. Forcedminer Senior Engineer

[​IMG]

ability to download older versions in the future for nostalgic reasons
    my longest yeah boi ever.

15. russo_bolado Junior Engineer

IMHO, it's a little more than that. They had the weekly/monthly updates (Dev/Stable), but in the end they were both unpolished. I believe KSH did that to be able to do the most complex updates without a time frame (..."but Major updates will not be scheduled with strict dates in advance"...), and I hope they use that well to add necessary features and improve existing ones.

EDIT: minor typos.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. AutoMcD Senior Engineer

I noticed the ship HUD shows H2 available, that's pretty awesome. No more having to set up LCD script just to avoid falling out of the sky!

• Agree Agree x 4
  17. Malware Master Engineer

Incorrect, dev becomes default, stable is gone because rollback is more than just a single version. In time as the updates happen you will be able to roll back more than just one major version. That is the big change in this, and something people have been wanting for ages.

In essence, we're back to the old way of a single main branch, but with the ability to roll back at will, which is how it should have been from the beginning.

• Agree Agree x 4
  18. Ravric Apprentice Engineer

It is not too late to give us access to older builds. I would love to go back to mid 2015 even with its flaws at least key things would function.

It will also allow us directly compare past and present to see KSH's progress over the years on specific aspects and overall. For example just pick a feature to evaluate when it was released, find when it worked best and if or how it works now.

19. Harrekin Master Engineer

I wish theyd clone him and have him run SE and ME...

Where's the medical bay?

20. Commander Rotal Master Engineer

Huh. Maybe there IS an in-universe reason for everyone looking the same...

All jokes aside i'm not sure how great of an idea it would be to have Deepflame overlook both SE and ME. The respective team leaders should focus all of their attention on their one product (see: Branch nonsense, THANKFULLY we're getting rid of that) and really polish those.
    Now, when it comes to stealing some of Tim's ideas... i'm game for that. 'cause they're almost all good ones. (Not gonna lie, ME's focus on Survival does put me off a little in addition to the setting that's already not my taste.)

• Like Like x 1
  21. Harrekin Master Engineer

I think they focus on Survival in these games first because Creative is simply a trimmed down version of it.

Keep hope in your heart, Winter is here.
    --- Automerge ---
    Wasn't that what they promised with the "Stable" version?

22. Ravric Apprentice Engineer

Yes.... "We will also have a stable branch that will be well-tested and run smoothly for players."
    http://blog.marekrosa.org/2016_05_01_archive.html

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. Commander Rotal Master Engineer

To be fair everyone and the kitchen sink foresaw how that wasn't going to be happening; 'tis was a PR-stunt, and we all know it, it has failed, and we all know it, and now they're putting a nice little bow on reverting the change and (slightly) improving on the original system, and we all know it. And the main issue is still the weekly release cycle, and we all know that one too. So, basically, starting out with a delay, making one step back, one and a half forward and.... i dunno, it's a good change, but i want to see a more radical change.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Harrekin Master Engineer

I just wish it would load without crashing...

25. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

I like the idea of going back to the old system of one branch rather than two. However, this doesn't resolve the key issues that Keen has.

First, the number of lingering bugs and new bugs in every release. A bug that requires a certain complex situation to show itself is acceptable. However, we're getting bugs like turrets not targeting enemy players and grids at all. Welders that don't weld. Players that run around with their arms in the air like Michael Jackson. And so forth.

There has been a rash of careless bugs where .sbc settings aren't well monitored. Old .sbc files seem to make it to releases and just bugger the whole game up (for example merge blocks and upgraded hand tools). HOW does this happen and happen on a regular basis? If you're not careful about what .sbc files you're checking into a build then what about the hard-coded C# that's not so easy to inspect?

I'll try to be optimistic about the first "major" release. But it's going to require a LOT of testing and interaction between testers and devs to get a quality release.

If this doesn't happen, every "major" release will be the WORST of the lot. Potentially, the release prior to the "major" will be the one with the most "fixed" stuff in it and the whole cycle of derped will happen all over again.

Being able to choose which major derped version of the game I want to roll back to would be infuriating.

It's beta. Code should be treated that way. Testing budgets need to be increased in proportion to coding for each release. Take the minor release schedule to two weeks instead of one so that more testing can be done BEFORE a release.

• Agree Agree x 2
  26. damoran Junior Engineer

Rumor has it these guys are very experienced at searching for bugs.

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  27. Harrekin Master Engineer

Managed to load the Tapping, 32FPS average and 1.0 Sim Speed.

Played the missions for the first time too, pretty decent.
    --- Automerge ---
    Gotta give them their credit, I enjoyed playing earlier.

I'll stick to my criticism that there isn't enough to do but I also have to commend them on a decent job.

Medieval was fun to play earlier too, it's coming along really nicely.

• Friendly Friendly x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  28. Skeloton Master Engineer

I, on the other hand, has been dead for quite some time.

• Funny Funny x 1
  29. Ravric Apprentice Engineer

Whelp just tested and we cannot roll back to 01.179.0....

It is not wise to work on a massive project that can be undermined by a often careless patch that has killed too many before. Right now you can choose 01.179.1 minor, 01.178 and 01.172. Not seeing 01.179.0 major is a huge red flag.

30. Commander Rotal Master Engineer

Just checked, i too only see None (current patch), 172 and 178 (plus, y'know, the abandoned DX9/XP/32Bit branch).

[​IMG]

@Xocliw? Any imput? Was there a change of plans?

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.