Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Goodbye Earth!

Discussion in 'General' started by Chap, Apr 25, 2019.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Chap Trainee Engineer

Hi,
    I only have a few weeks on SE and I have a little question ..:stare:
    I have a ship of about 1500-1600t.
    How get out on the planet gravity with my thrusters?
    I have atmospheric thrusters to get out of the atmosphere and I use hydrogen thrusters to leave gravity.
    I made 6 large hydrogen Thrusters with 4 hydrogen tanks?
    I doubt it's enough ... (I hope!)
    Take-off takes place tonight! :D

Sorry for my poor English..

2. RkyMtnDude Apprentice Engineer

Make a blue print.

Start a new survival world. Change it to enable creative tools. Load the ships cargo up with whatever you think it should be able to haul into space (so you can assure you have enough lift for the weight you intend to lift)... Test it. Modify as needed. No risk.... and you have great testing ability.

3. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

Coincidentally, I recently ran a bunch of lift tests with large hydrogen thrusters and tanks. I was able to successfully make it from the Earthlike planet to space with three large and three small hydrogen "UP" thrusters and one hydrogen tank lifting two large cargo containers that were filled with iron ore (as a surrogate test material). I also had five small hydrogen thrusters in the other five directions for stability, and added three O2/H2 generators for emergency refueling, one battery, one gyroscope, and one cockpit. But the weight of these additional components is minor compared to the weight of the cargo (iron ore), so they don't make any difference in its performance. Remember, this test was with fully loaded large cargo containers. So I'm betting your ship will make it easily.

4. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

You can extend your hydrogen fuel by feathering the thrusters once you reach 100m/s. When you reach 100 m/s let gravity slow you down a little (to like 90 m/s) and then tap the spacebar to bring you back up to 100m/s (or whatever the maximum speed is on the server). Just repeat the process over and over again.

You can leave your inertial dampeners on. Just shut off the opposing "down" thrusters. When you're free of gravity, turn them back on.

5. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

Good point, @Ronin1973, because I forgot to mention that my success was partially due to sequentially shutting down the UP thrusters as gravity became less to reduce hydrogen consumption.

6. hippybaker Trainee Engineer

I like to throttle my main thrusters by using hot keys...

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Chap Trainee Engineer

News of the trip!

Everything went well, we were able to take off a little ahead of schedule; the ship is now in Earth orbit! Eh eh

Some lingering little worries!

-A part of the ship is not pressurized and my research remains unsuccessful!

-I had built a small mining craft with ion thrusters, docked with two landing gear and one connector .. he is detached during the journey .. the feet broke and the connector did not hold the ship very long..

A friend made a trip similar with the same problem.

Ideas to broken feet? :?

I wanted to solidify everything with a link block, I admit to having forgotten

8. Malware Master Engineer

Even just a single connector should have kept your miner safe, same with the landing gear. You must have made a mistake somehow.

9. cataractus Apprentice Engineer

There something wrong with Havoc (or collision boxes) after one of last updates. Using more than one landing gear + connector will sometimes generate collision sparks from one or more landing gears. Sparking LG will broke after some time and unlink this grids irrespectively to all other landing gears and connectors holding them up.

10. Malware Master Engineer

@cataractus that's news for me. Yet another multiplayer issue then I assume.

11. Chap Trainee Engineer

@cataractus That's exactly what happened. Sparks and after a while, breakage and stall.
    So I think for the moment the best solution is the link block.

12. Malware Master Engineer

@Chap Or you could connect with just the connector.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Chap Trainee Engineer

@Malware Hmm ... I think I do not have enough confidence in the magnetic connection he uses. Ahah
    I make an others tests soon

14. Malware Master Engineer

@Chap There's no structural integrity in SE. When it's locked, it's locked.

15. May Rears Apprentice Engineer

One thing to bear in mind when flying a ship with smaller ships attached is to turn the engines and gyros off on the small ships. The gyros will "think" the small ship is moving and thrust to counter that movement. Depending on how much thrust is available to that small ship it can soon tear connectors and landing gear free.

Also, one of the first rules of Space Engineers is "Never press P" :)

16. Malware Master Engineer

No, @May Rears. Thrusters cannot tear connectors or landing gears free. I say this with absolute certainty. That hasn't been possible for years.

Never press P
    however. I back you on that 100%.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Chap Trainee Engineer

Can we press P and stop thrusters or make a group ON / OFF? (That's what I did) :)

18. Malware Master Engineer

@Chap P toggles the lock of all landing gears and connectors. Groups are your friend.

19. dispair Apprentice Engineer

While in the small ship cockpit press G. Drag the connector to the hot bar, the top option on/off. Then drag it down again use option switch lock.

While docked the ship is safe and you can set battery to recharge.

20. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

If you don't have the thrusters and gyros turned off on your docked ship it's very possible that the thrusters can burn through your host ship if the host ship is in range of the thrusters. It just depends on the distance between the exhaust and anything around it.

21. Thrak Junior Engineer

I long ago bound that function to the * key on my keyboard number pad, just so my sausage-like fingers don't accidentally cause all my connected grids from flinging off into the great beyond....

• Like Like x 1
  22. chrisb Senior Engineer

OP, just remember when taking off or landing.. Gently does it. ;)

Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
  23. Stardriver907 Senior Engineer

My problem with using connectors to dock two floating grids together is that when in motion they will fight each other, which causes some handling issues, and if I quit a session with a ship docked and locked I come back and the ship has mysteriously unlocked and is floating somewhere far from the main ship (one reason I don't make hangars). When ships are merged there's just one grid to control. Problems come from un-merging. You have to pick the devil you can live with until Keen makes an actual docking block.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

I recently created a base ship intended to transport cargo modules. I experienced exactly what you said, @Stardriver907, i.e., connectors caused the grids to fight each other (the modules were self-propelled, and I was counting on their contribution to control the ship). I switched to merge blocks, a much less desirable choice, and it works now, but merging and un-merging is a delicate operation to avoid damage.

25. Oskar1101 Apprentice Engineer

But connectors Are the docking block. There will be no more docking block other than connector or maybe airtight passage block with connector functionality.

26. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

Let's hope not. Connectors are great for transferring materials from one grid to another, and for allowing a subgrid to be carried via a jump drive, but they do not allow subgrid thruster components to operate correctly when controlled from a master grid. That kills any modular-ship concept that relies on subgrid thrust.

27. May Rears Apprentice Engineer

it's been years since I came across that problem :) Someone might need to update the wiki then, a resource many newcomers use if it is years out of date:

https://spaceengineers.fandom.com/wiki/Landing_Gear

"If one of them accelerates too quickly, the inertia of the second craft can apply enough force to break the lock or destroy the landing gear. For this reason, carriers and other large ships must make sure the docked ships have enough locks engaged to support their mass under acceleration. If not, the carrier must avoid rapidly changing directions."

• Agree Agree x 1
  28. Oskar1101 Apprentice Engineer

Looks like you are looking for a block that can merge grids, not dock(connect) them like capsule to iss or trailer to truck.

29. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

Nope, ideally I'd use a connector, but a connector will not currently allow a subgrid's gyros and thrusters to be controlled by the main grid. I tried it and it was an abysmal failure, so, lacking any other choice if I want to make the ship work as closely as possible to what I intended, I used merge blocks. Ugh.

30. hippybaker Trainee Engineer

Isn't there some script for sub grid WSAD control somewhere?

I always make sure docked ships have their thrusters and gyros turned off, and never really have an issue.
    But I've never tried making a docked ship contribute to maneuvering...

There MUST be a script for that?

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.