Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Gravity's influence

Discussion in 'General' started by SplinteredChaos, May 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. SplinteredChaos Trainee Engineer

Was pondering armor options, which got me to think about counter options, beyond your typical armor blocks. I was wondering if gravity had any perceptible impact on vanilla weapons. Could we potentially use gravity generators to repel incoming ordnance?

2. SilentShadow Apprentice Engineer

Best I can figure, there is no bullet or rocket drop. So no, vanilla weapons aren't affected by gravity.

Only ores, parts, and artificial mass

3. SplinteredChaos Trainee Engineer

Booooooo. I guess I kind of figured as much. It would make sense from a calculations stand point. The engine has enough trouble with the calculations it performs as is, that would only make it worse. I was hoping there'd be a way to either reduce the speed, divert the trajectory, or flat out stop in its tracks an incoming missile. Conventional weapons seem to be a no on that one. I would imagine I might have more luck with custom made missiles.

4. Forcedminer Senior Engineer

i guess you could always horribly violate newton's 3rd law and use a gravity drive to change direction quickly or something. :3

*imagines pyros airblast in space ruining logic all the more*
    [​IMG]

5. halipatsui Senior Engineer

Gravity gens have been used to repel gravity gun ammo for ages.

6. SilentShadow Apprentice Engineer

Hmm... About how much gravity is needed to repel bullets?

7. Mr Ixolate Apprentice Engineer

Gravity guns fire artificial mass weapons or ore, not actual bullets

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. halipatsui Senior Engineer

Bullets indeed are not affected.
    Apparently stopping a max speed projectile in 400 m distance requires about 4 g

9. russo_bolado Junior Engineer

If you use PMW's propelled by Gravity (with Artificial Mass), you can also use spare Steel Plates / Construction Components as shrapnel inside containers.

I haven't tested any Grav Gen weapons, but wouldn't be easier to use a Spherical Grav Gen and deflect it rather than stopping it completely?

Edit: multi quote added

10. halipatsui Senior Engineer

that is the case unless you are motionless and the shot is coming dead center towards you.
    Deflection is always present unless shot is coming straight at you.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.