Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Grid mock for off-game script testing

Discussion in 'Modding Guides and Tools' started by pablo.barral, Jan 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. pablo.barral Trainee Engineer

Hello Community,
    Some time back I did a very basic VS solution that referenced the games interfaces to mock a grid with some blocks for script testing. It was mostly intended to see how some information would be displayed on some in-game LCD screens while simulating some events on the mocked grid blocks. The greatest advantage was to be able to code using VS intellisense. That was like 16 or 18 months ago and lots has changed for sure. I was wondering if anyone did something like that lately so as not to start duplicating or triplicating effort. Otherwise I'll see to get that back up again and possibly improved.
    --- Automerge ---
    If any moderator could move this thread to "Programming Guides and Tools" instead of "Modding Guides and Tools"...
    Sorry for publishing it on the wrong spot.

2. Malware Master Engineer

The MDK is designed to run scripts that way, and I will be adding a mock project later - but it's a huge undertaking and I'm planning to involve the MDK community in the development of each individual mock.

Meaning, there are no mocks right now, but the scripts can actually run already. I've used it this way with per-test mocks.

3. pablo.barral Trainee Engineer

Thank you Malware. I cloned the repository and will "play" a bit to get the fill of it.
    Will be glad to contribute any way I can.
    Not to worry... I read your *.MDs already.

4. Malware Master Engineer

@pablo.barral Thank you very much. Be aware that there's a big update pending though, that changes many of the core functions. Unfortunately things are taking some time.

5. pablo.barral Trainee Engineer

Yes... saw a couple of new commits on on modularity branch.
    Tonight I'll have time to see if there is anything useful on what I did long ago. But I think it will just serve as inspiration to start over.
    With MDK I'll probably have lot of things already resolved and if you plan to Mock grids eventually, maybe better for me to do a clean start consuming what MDK today has.
    Will take any change through you anyway. Today I'll probably start doing a very basic exploratory prove of concept for mocking grids off-game. I'll let you know what I can come up with.

6. Malware Master Engineer

I'm in a bit of a rut with SE at the moment, happens from time to time, that prevents me from working on this. I can at least tell you my plans with regards to mocking:

Since MDK can already run scripts, the idea was to start a new GitHub repo with a project that creates a nuget package with all the mocks. This way people can contribute and get their contributions out without having to release an all new MDK version.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.