Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Grim's Mech lab

Discussion in 'Community Creations' started by Grimxxmastr, Jul 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Grimxxmastr Apprentice Engineer

When I have time I'll re-post the the pics directly to here, till that time follow IMgur link if one is listed but not posted. My machines tend to follow these guidelines yet they are not set in stone. 1. They should realistically fit in a large ship to potentially defend it. 2-3 large blocks tall. 2. Single pilot to perform all functions. 3. Keep some degree of appearance. Here they are while some are wip more will be added over time so let me know what you think. And thanks to everyone who has given feed back

UPDATE 12/07/14: As of Now all research on mechs is suspended till research on walking patterns are completed. Vessel Research will continue forward.

Pictures are on here : http://imgur.com/a/DmvXR

GPM-2 PROTOTYPE
    (General Purpose Mech)

[SIZE= 14.44444465637207px] GPM-2 CORE is the first in the Modular series.
    As the name implies it came from striping down the GPM-1 and rebuilding the central pilot area
    . Currently uses 3d imaging, active surround cameras to generate a 3d viewpoint that is 3rd person for the operator as the cockpit is sealed in.
    [/SIZE]This unit was assembled on bipedal legs, unfortunately it also suffers GPM-1's weapon hard mount flaw. Modular weapons still under research .

[​IMG]
    Modular RnD leads us to the next Prototype.

ONI-1 PROTOTYPE

The new missile pack dwarfs this system as do this style of chaingun.
    A smaller core system would complement the legs better but the unit fires large volleys before discharging the pack. I'd like to see control through rotors. but until then they research a way it currently has standing and flight pose. THE ONI-1 earns its name from being the most stubborn project in an attempt to make the arms modular. this feature has been scratched. the ONI Core however has yet to be assigned any real function as its size makes current leg specs too small as seen here. gravity would be too much for this prototype.

[​IMG]
    Welcome to Grim's RnD division vessel interior. This photo was taken in the now retired vessel for its sheer size (almost 900M long) which will be revealed once i get done reshaping it to a more manageable size.
    This photo includes Left to Right GPM-1 (first 3) the VT-1 to be shown later! and lastly the RM-1.
    [​IMG]
    GPM-1 Where it all started.

I hadn't intended to show this unit but GPM-2 kinda demands it. i do not take credit for this one as its a modified (sliced open and reassembled to suit me) version of someone elses who's file i cant find to give credit. when i do i will add them in here.

Old, Bulky, Unbalanced prime series started here.
    These GPM-1's are now used for training the mechanized space teams be they Engineers, Miners, Demo, or Soldiers all training requirements for basic ops starts here.

[​IMG]

VT-1

My ships shortest mechanized combat unit.
    Design is short and wide for balance with reverse joint legs to reduce weapons fire recoil and to be able to handle any would be boarding parties.
    Armaments again as with any prime series must be added to machine during construction.

[​IMG]
    RM-1 Hybrid

RM-1 Features higher ground clearance.
    In a merge of the Modular and Prime Series, the legs are interchangeable with any of the Modular series legs.
    From bi-pedal to quadrupedal . Flight to hover and least not the wheeled variant.
    Armaments must be decided upon during construction as missile packs require moving side thrust

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2014
  2. Raelsmar Trainee Engineer

I've also had a similar idea. I made the core in the center component, as well. I find that merge blocks are too violent when making modular mechs with rotors involved, however. I found a workaround by making the bottom part of the core and the top part of the legs use connectors, which are far less violent. Hope this helps!

3. 1 of 1 Trainee Engineer

I was also considering a large powered exo-suit...but much less MechWarrior and much more Alien movie. I want it to have good utility, I'm not overly concerned with combat units at the moment.

4. Grimxxmastr Apprentice Engineer

Yea combat isn't the focus except for display. Mine are less mech Warrior and more armored core similar. But the only rotors planned are head unit hope to have picture in here today

5. Grimxxmastr Apprentice Engineer

Ok. Didn't have time to upload them outside of steam. So it should all be on page one here to view. Didn't use a head unit .... hard to make a good one and keep the size down. More. Core parts in design that's the basic. And the unit holding the parts was a 1 min build lol . Eventually I'll make a hanger to show.

https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197974178504/screenshots/

6. Grimxxmastr Apprentice Engineer

Sorry just saw that was a link . Nice design

7. Grimxxmastr Apprentice Engineer

I've seen people make a terran scv which is close to what you want

8. 1 of 1 Trainee Engineer

So what can it do. Or more importantly, what can it do well? Does it's size help or hinder?

9. DeathsHead Apprentice Engineer

Mechs you say? Wouldn't know anything about them;)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Grimxxmastr Apprentice Engineer

11. Grimxxmastr Apprentice Engineer

Size helps. As for what it can do its design is to do it all

12. DeathsHead Apprentice Engineer

One thing I wouldn't do is put the cockpit in the center, no matter how thick or layered you make it, it will die from one rocket, trust me on this.

The view from the center is also poor even if you leave a window, thats why i started putting the head up top, if i'm going to die one shotted, atleast i can see it coming, not to mention when we get hotkeys I will be able to eject.

This thing has 4 layers of heavy, plus a 1 block gap and it still dies if the arm gets hit let alone the Cp
    [​IMG]

13. PeterHammerman Junior Engineer

Grim, You have blocked PM's :)

If I would build mech, it would be Pacific Rim scaled :) For bigger build its easier to make details, also You will be able to create automatic walking process. For small scaled, I'm still waiting for programming ability. In my creations, all conveyor system is builded in first place to make all systems working and self sufficient. Next Im building shape.

Your creation looks good, stylized as oldschool mechwarrior game series in which I been raised :)
    Good that You making also conveyor and other blocks as decorative parts. Dont forget that You can use also building instances of blocks grinding them down :)

14. Grimxxmastr Apprentice Engineer

Cool thanks for stopping by. My pm should be fixed now. Didn't realize it's off by default. I ground down the center machine gun so it's just for looks. I grew up on mech Warrior and Armored Core. Getting details on a small scale is hard. That one is around 2 large ship blocks tall

15. Grimxxmastr Apprentice Engineer

The cockpit stuffed into the core was just because I didn't know where else I could make it work. The window is more for getting in and out. But I have seen your work all over the works shop and definitely deserving of some kudos

16. DeathsHead Apprentice Engineer

TY, it's easy to make mech shaped ships, it's hard adding unique touches to them. So I try to make them themed, I find it easier.

I'm also waiting on some programming to help make them more mech like and less upright ship.

Also I have one giant mech unreleased, due to the rotors just refusing to behave with suck a large construct., it has been coming soon for a long time .
    I made every articulation work, but 6 rotors for that much weight it jest breaks and breaks. I wouldn't suggest going large until they fix rotors or just make it as least complicated as u can.

Btw I was not trying to thread jack you, you asked for ideas ,so I showed you some.

Feel free to add me to steam, would help any way I can. Steam name is 420deathshead420

17. mattryan72 Apprentice Engineer

Awesome!

18. Grimxxmastr Apprentice Engineer

Not at all death. Pics and suggestions are all welcome. All of it helps. Plus I like seeing everyone's work.

19. DeathsHead Apprentice Engineer

The only reason I said that was I felt bad for getting your thread moved out of general topic and into the dark corner of player made creations :)

20. Grimxxmastr Apprentice Engineer

Bah it happens. Lol also idk if it's cause i tried to add you via the mobile steam but it didn't find you

21. Grimxxmastr Apprentice Engineer

Added new pics today see original post for links

22. Jakaya Apprentice Engineer

Is it now possible with these new steering wheels to actually make this walk i have no idea how possible this would be ??

23. Grimxxmastr Apprentice Engineer

Fortune favors those who try. I will look into it

24. mastpayne Senior Engineer

Hey! Hey! Hey! I stroll these dark hallowed halls all the time!

Interesting stuff, though I have to be honest, the first time I saw the title of the thread...

...I saw "Grim's Meth Lab"....

I giggled.

25. Grimxxmastr Apprentice Engineer

Well lol I re titled the thread as it was my suggestion area but I don't like creating tons of new threads and just put a basic title

26. mastpayne Senior Engineer

Smart move. Everybody needs a home!

27. DeathsHead Apprentice Engineer

So I played a bit with the new gear trying to see if I could make something walk, I failed, I did make a mean jumping jack robot though :)

28. Grimxxmastr Apprentice Engineer

Gotta picture?

29. DeathsHead Apprentice Engineer

It was just a stick figure, I was just testing to see what range of motion I could add Witt the new wheel arms .

30. Xocliw Public Relations Staff

Those are some nice mechs DeathsHead :D!

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.