Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. Hello Guest!
    Welcome to the Bug Report forum, please make sure you search for your problem before posting here. If you post a duplicate (that you post the same issue while other people have already done that before) you will be given a warning point which can eventually lead into account limitations !

Here you can find a guide on how to post a good bug report thread.
    Space Engineers version --- Medieval Engineers version
  2. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Hand welder keeps welding after block is complete or you run out of materials

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Registry_Editor, Feb 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Registry_Editor Trainee Engineer

What the title says. The welder no longer stops when you either run out of materials and the block is unfinished, or when you completely weld a block to 100%. This is very irritating as the welder stopping is a vital cue when building/repairing.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Brain75 Trainee Engineer

Will confirm multiple (all) players are also seeing this on the servers I am on and myself in single player.

3. Ondřej Nahálka QA Lead Staff

Hey,

it works as intended.

It is purpose (design). Not a bug.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  4. Mollymawk Apprentice Engineer

"it works as intended." this doesn't stop it being very very annoying. I do not like it this way. especially on blocks that look completed when they are still only 95% complete. you have to read the tool tip for every block to be sure things are finished. and when you are doing a few dozen blocks its all too easy to whizz along thinking you are welding when you are not. I do not normally want to wait for the tool tip for every block I weld.

I can't play the game with long welding times.. I give up after 4 light armour blocks.. its way too masochistic for me. I'm sure lots of people play with welding set at the fast rate too.

If it is intended, then its intended to be broken

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. mdram Apprentice Engineer

upgrade your welder, then its much faster and there isnt as much of an issue

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. Mollymawk Apprentice Engineer

Erm no, the faster the welder is, the worse the issue is. The issue is no visual or audio on welding completion. The loud banging noises come from the early stages of welding.. the later stages and completion do not inform you of completion other than greying out items and an item count in the tool tip.. The faster your welding cycle the easier it is to miss completion.

Completion used to be indicated by your welder stopping... now there is no positive feedback..

running down a line of blocks, welding on the move with the last few components, you have to actually read the tool tip to realise to are no longer welding.
    My builds are very modest , but this would be awful when putting a mega structure together

7. Forcedminer Senior Engineer

can confirm that as well, feels nice and a feature...i like it.
    feels like a tiny flamethrower weapon and .....light source.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. henkbein Apprentice Engineer

I can hardly believe this is intended:

When you weld thousands of blocks, you do not want to stare at a progress bar - thousands of times - to see if it reached 100%.

You should at least give a unique sound to indicate that the block is finished.
    The current sounds for build stages mostly do not accurately mark this.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 4
  9. Brain75 Trainee Engineer

@Ondrej just confirming, "it works as intended" so for 4 years it worked one way (welding animation ceased when welding was complete) and then you guys just change the way the animation works (infinitely looped) one day.... With no way to flip a checkbox back to the old behavior? Not saying anything rude, but it is really really considered bad design to change the default of a LONG established feature especially if you give no way to revert to "classic it has been that way for the last 4 years" setting. I am guessing this was marketing or other bean counter decision and not a programmer decision. Hey I get it, infinite animation is faster, no calculating stop and changing animations, etc... but I think the community would just about unanimously check the check box to go back to the positive feedback mechanism we have had for the last 4 years.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. Tharatan Trainee Engineer

I would suggest people go watch a few video clips of welding - if your torch is still in contact with the material, you're still applying heat and can maintain your molten-material puddle. With electrical arc welding, you'll lose the spark when you pull away and break the circuit, but with gas welding you can move wherever you like and still have a flame as long as you're connected to your gasses. There are times when you even WANT your torch on when you're not strictly welding - heating up a housing so it expands enough that you can slide a cold part into it and make an interference fit, for example.

From a gameplay perspective, yes its a change, but I think its a good one. If looking at the info pane to see your progress is just too hard for you and you leave the blocks as soon as the last build state is reached, then you're simply being a normal, lazy human who isn't bothering with a quality check on their work before proceeding. I'm not saying that to be insulting - it is a frequent issue in real-world manufacturing when people get bored of their tasks or feel rushed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. henkbein Apprentice Engineer

But Tharatan ... that would mean we urgently need to rename this game to 'Space Welding Simulator' ;)

12. sadpickle Trainee Engineer

This change is absolute garbage, and represents everything wrong with the design ethos of this game lately. I could care less about realism in welding, and everyone who is saying that this is better because it's "more realistic" is completely missing the point. The old style of welding was intuitive and related everything you needed to know via the context of the block status and how the tool responded. Now I'm staring at a window with a list of parts, while navigating around using my peripherals. This is not an improvement. It's time-consuming and aggravating.

In essence, you threw away a perfectly-working system that provided context-sensitive clues to the welding job, and are forcing everyone into bean-counting and eyeballing a progress bar. This is NOT FUN. If you want your game to fail, the best way to do that is keeping making it less fun to play.

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. kgober Trainee Engineer

Working as intended means this is not a bug, so there's little point reporting it as such.

It is actually just a bad design decision. I agree with you that it's bad for gameplay (and makes the work done on improved welding visuals wasted effort, since everyone will be looking at the progress bar instead), but feedback about bad design needs to be done elsewhere. I used the Changelog thread for 1.186 to comment on this, I suggest you do the same.

14. henkbein Apprentice Engineer

Changelog reports will only live for a week. They die at the next update.
    Bug reports will last forever until the issue is addressed.
    Be pragmatic: Post in bug reports.

Small/Large grid welders stop welding animation when a block is finished.
    To Keen: please explain why the handheld welder should behave differently.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.