Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Hangar doors/big door

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback' started by Amancalledme, Jan 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Amancalledme Apprentice Engineer

Hear me out.

The door, while a nice invention, is not the sort of thing your average
    OVER-THE-TOPLY-"MASS"IVE-CAPITAL-SHIP can fit through, or even a fighter, what I am proposing is two blocks, they would need each other (or a cockpit fiddling through the "K" menu) to work.

1)
    A button, preferably big, and red.
    [​IMG]
    2)
    Hangar doors, or any door > 1 block

[​IMG]

Essentially, how this would work would be that, there would be one block, similar to a rotor
    [​IMG]
    This would expand/retract according to whether it was on/off, on the "off" setting, it would retract (open), on the "on" setting, it would go forward (close).

This means people could attach bricks to this like they might attach it to a rotor.

hence the button/"k" menu ability (one of the settings in the "k" menu could be how many bricks it moves forward, to stop there being gaps in the middle, or it crashing, or to edit it so there is JUST enough space for a little fighter to get through).

I hear you say "But this would just mean that when it went forward, it wouldn't fill the whole space, there would be gaps at the edges!"

Well, then, build it INSIDE the wall, so that it looks, and is, so that there is no gap, engineer around it.

What do you think?

2. OracleTX Apprentice Engineer

Old hat, mate. Hangar doors are a good way to combine the button idea and a linear motor. I think it should be more of a sliding thing than an expanding thing, so the "motor" is in the tracks that the doors ride on rather than a block that expands and contracts.

3. Amancalledme Apprentice Engineer

By expand/contract, I meant that the black rubbery thing goes forward and back, as rubber stretches.

Hangar doors was just the main purpose for it, it could be used for vault entrances, any large door, and anything that requires sliding back and forth.

4. Azan Trainee Engineer

Seems the intended implementation for linear actuation is likely to be rails of some sort, it comes to the same thing in the end.

I think actuation methods will be more generic and adjustable than what you suggest, but I agree with the button idea. The current control scheme is far too clumsy.

5. DiBBz Apprentice Engineer

i posted a thread about this as well but i dont think the rubber type deal will work due to collision meshes with surround objects etc , my thread is here http://forums.keenswh.com/post/new-ship-components-hopefully-for-the-future-6722605 and talks about basically the same thing but cargo lifts and what not as well

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.