Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Has KSH and Nvidia started to work together on optimizing SE?

Discussion in 'General' started by dominoscraft, Mar 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. dominoscraft Trainee Engineer

The other day whilst i browsing the web i thought i saw Nvidia's logo at the bottom of KSH pages and was wondering has Nvidia started to help with optimizing the game like they did with ARK.

I have been away for a few months and wondered if i had missed it - Dom

2. StuffYouFear Apprentice Engineer

You most likely saw this.
    [​IMG]
    It is a in house project sorta unrelated to Space Enginners.

3. DDP-158 Master Engineer

There is a nvidia logo, it's right under the havok logo.

I've never paid attention to those myself. Figured they were like nascar sponsorships or something.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Spets Master Engineer

5. noname42 Trainee Engineer

6. StuffYouFear Apprentice Engineer

Think this has anything to do with goodai requiering cuda cores? Im unsure of where AMD is with their opencl but that might have something to do with it. Didnt know KSH was sponsering nvidia(and vice versa) so kinda glad I went with a 970 instead of a 290.

7. dominoscraft Trainee Engineer

after playing SE last weekend i was amazed at getting 50-60 fps constantly and wondered if Nvidia started to realize the potential of this game and jumped on the bad wagon.
    sadly they have not ( Yet ), thanks for the reply's folks - Dom

8. LFCavalcanti Senior Engineer

Please... not Gameworks all over again.

We have discussed this before. Once a company close the deal with NVidia there's not optimization on AMD cards anymore. Hell, the Gameworks effects make the game even worse, look at what happened with Witcher 3.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Syncaidius Junior Engineer

The worst part about that is it makes the game run like crap on older Nvidia hardware too, compared to the same game with Gameworks disabled or removed.

My guess is some kind of attempt at forcing people to upgrade to newer Nvidia cards, which if true, is pretty pathetic IMO. Unfortunately we can't guarantee they're not trying this either, since they've done it in the past many times (and been fined for doing so on one occasion).

But in terms of SE, I'm not even sure adding any vendor-specific code is a good idea, since they're porting the game to Xbox One, which uses AMD hardware. Just like adding AMD-specific code will be pretty stupid when 56% of PC users are Nvidia (according to steam HW survey).

Unless of course, Keen don't mind branching their code to provide vendor-specific code to both AMD and Nvidia users.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. LFCavalcanti Senior Engineer

Nahh, NVidia tried this before, remember what they did with PhysX? It's the same deal. Problem is... this time around the effects have poor performance on their hardware too.

Gameworks is not to help developers, their main goal is to bribe developers to not colaborate with AMD and maybe get better performance than AMD cards.

The sheer amount of Benchmarks on games with Gameworks where people don't disable the effects to test AMD Cards is really concerning.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

NVidia spends a lot of time and money working WITH game developers to optimize the player's experience on their graphic cards. From their mid-level cards to the high end, optimization means that their higher end cards can offer better performance, equaling more units sold and mid level users buying higher end cards. Nvidia also works with developers to make sure that when their latest cards hit the market that the games being released at the same time will work. As you've seen games can take years to develop and new cards hit the market every 6 months or so. I suspect that many non-disclosure agreements get signed.

Back in the day there were more manufacturers than the big two. But cards didn't always work for every title. You had to read the title's fine print to see if your particular hardware set-up was supported. This hurt both developers and graphic card companies. NVidia has marketing and growing market-share down to a science. There are lots of reasons to like or dislike NVidia, but they know their business.

12. LFCavalcanti Senior Engineer

Do they?

I invite everyone to watch this video and form your own opinions:

13. dominoscraft Trainee Engineer

think it is moving slightly off topic now

14. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

I think the bottom line will be this. Space Engineers will have all the visual bells and whistles for the Nvidia user. AMD users will get a watered down experience. Gameplay will still be the same using either platform.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.