Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Have the moons any utility?

Discussion in 'General' started by Crawller, Sep 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Crawller Trainee Engineer

When I subscribe to a planet in workshop, sometimes it also contain a moon. I dont know if it do something with the planet or they're simple decoration. And in the spawn planet menu, I dont see the option for spawn the moon also.

Thanks you.

2. FlakMagnet Senior Engineer

A moon is a small planet....and just like a planet, you can go there, build a base there, or mine there.

In the vanilla worlds, the moons contain platinum, which is not on any of the planets, so there is a reason to go there. If you are buildign a custom world with planets and moons from the workshop, you can pretty much choose whatever you want. Worlds with certain minerals, atmospheres or sabiroids. Vegetation, no vegetation.

The moon will be listed in the planet spawn list. You just build it as a smaller size. You control the size when you spawn it in just the same. Actually...you can make planes as small as moons and moons as big as planet....

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Devon_v Senior Engineer

Moons with ice and low gravity are great places to pick up ice in bulk without dealing with planetary reentry and departure. Especially significant if you're playing with the atmospheric physics mod. Heavy ships that don't dare go into a planetary gravity well can often handle moons just fine.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. kcjunkbox Senior Engineer

Why deal with low moons gravity when you don't have to deal with any gravity on an astroid and you have all the same resources and they're typically exposed on the surface with no rock to clear away

5. Elfi Wolfe Apprentice Engineer

because I want to put a base on each planet and learn the environment?

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. kcjunkbox Senior Engineer

Learn what about the environment? That it has different colors and different slopes? But otherwise it is exactly the same.

7. Elfi Wolfe Apprentice Engineer

I guess i'm stupid then for wanting to build on each planet.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. tankmayvin Senior Engineer

Agreed. Icy moons = unlimited supply of easily orbited Hydrogen.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Taemien Apprentice Engineer

Some of my mining ships will eat up an asteroid in short order. Moons last a bit longer without having to deal with being a nomad.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. SpecFrigateBLK3 Senior Engineer

Low gravity is a huge advantage for power efficiency, fuel too.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

Planets and moons are in the game. But they are a feature without any advantageous purpose. The challenges are different than space but all of your in-game functionality still works the same and at the same levels of efficiency. The only advantage is free oxygen. But then you have to contend with gravity which far outweighs having to top up your supply of O2.

12. kcjunkbox Senior Engineer

And NO gravity is an even huger advantage...

And oxygen is only consumed by enginner so there is very little demand for it. Now if the hydrogen thrusters consumed oxygen too, like they should, then their would be a true use for free O2 from atmosphere.

13. Burillo Junior Engineer

wait, what? is that true?

that's why i build on Mars :) say no to free oxygen!

Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
  14. Harrekin Master Engineer

Only Earthlike is lacking in Platinum.

15. Burillo Junior Engineer

the SE wiki says it can't be found on any planet, only on moons and asteroids. i'm mainly building in space master mode right now so i never noticed. so that means i can't build ion thrusters before i actually go to space... interesting, i'll have to adjust my designs then :)

16. FlakMagnet Senior Engineer

I was sure only moons had it and that platinum was not on Mars or Alien worlds. Can't say I have looked that closely or scoured the worlds in search of it though, so I could well be wrong. Ha ing plentiful supplies of every ore on a single body does kind of remove the urge to explore a little.

I can turtle down and build a base, but at some point....I want to go and explore a little, and having a reason to do so is quite important.

17. Phoera Senior Engineer

in current data files(stable), i see platinum resource only on moons and test planet(SystemTest)
    --- Automerge ---
    any mods can have own definitions.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. FlakMagnet Senior Engineer

Thanks for clearing that up Phoenix ... I know modded worlds are however the maker made them, but the data defines the world.

19. Vigo the Dudepathian Trainee Engineer

I like planets and moons as they are pretty much the only progression mechanic in the game beyond ship size and with PVP being so broken I'll take anything. I like a minimalistic planetary start in survival. Limited escape pod with bare essentials pretty requiring hand mining. Hand mining on a planet is easy as can be where as in space the rocks float away. Earning the stars and mastering moving from one place to the other is pretty much all there is to do in the game aside from creative builds.

20. Harrekin Master Engineer

I must've read wrong, thanks for the clarification.

I just use asteroids because they're so easy to harvest.

21. FlakMagnet Senior Engineer

They are a LOT easier to harvest. Once you get to space, especially now asteroids are sitting just on the edge of the gravity well, it's actually closer than a moon too. Since the last patch, I started a new world and found a platinum rich asteroid just inside the 0.05 gravity zone. No point in going to the moon for platinum if you find it right overhead.

22. Spets Master Engineer

Empty space and asteroids is for noobs
    Planets is for advanced players that want more challenging engineering stuff

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  23. Hailedbean Trainee Engineer

Yeah try to explain to a beginner how to not burn all your hydrogen while leaving the planet due to the speed limit using thruster override controls :woot:

24. Harrekin Master Engineer

More challenging engineering?

Lol...

There is no engineering, you're fooling yourself.

25. Spets Master Engineer

ok, "engineering"
    there you go
    --- Automerge ---
    btw,

engineering = solving problems, making stuff work, and if it is too easy and boring (like just being in space and asteroids for noobs) find new ways to make stuff work in a challenging and hard environment (like planets)

26. Harrekin Master Engineer

Hardly a challenge to get on/off the planet... doesn't take much to slow down from 100m/s.

27. Vigo the Dudepathian Trainee Engineer

Up the speed limit, reduce resource rates, add in the atmospheric reentry mods, all sorts of things to do. You are just apparantly unimaginative.

• Like Like x 1
  28. Harrekin Master Engineer

All those things are exactly what I'm talking about the game needing.

My gripe is they don't currently exist and there seems to be no will left in KSH for any content improvements.

To be honest, it looks to me like they might have two separate teams for the two games but there seems to be alot of movement between the two and currently ME is the focus.

29. Malware Master Engineer

Funny how every time Keen has a longer bugfix period, people start saying "that's it, they're done" and all that...

They're done when they say they're done. Anything beyond that is pure speculation.

• Agree Agree x 3
  30. Forcedminer Senior Engineer

great for ice, the rare ore platinum needed for ion thrusters and its low gravity

and another awesome place to play with the space ball and to play that 2001: A Space Odyssey song. ^^

other than that you're going to need hydrogen thrusters to get around.....never found it easy to land with ion

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.