Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Have the moons any utility?

Discussion in 'General' started by Crawller, Sep 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. mhalpern Senior Engineer

Well with moons (once they iron down the certain mechanics) wheels can be useful for getting around, lower gravity and lack of trees mean you can use bigger wheeled vehicles, as for landing, scripts and/or practice, or you don't have enough ion.

Planets would be more useful if we could automatically extract the inventory from sabroid corpses or use wood for something, if they have atmosphere, they provide a defensive advantage, any attacker will have to carry a bunch of atmospheric craft that will be useless in space conflict or extortionate amounts of ice a long distance.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Devon_v Senior Engineer

You have to find the stereolith first. :)

I dont care for the close asteroids, I do think it harms progression. The moon should be an important destination.

I'd like to see the option to define in a planet's data if it has close-orbiting asteroids, asteroid rings, or a clean orbital plane.

I also think the game should have rare compounds tied to the alien planet and moons, but that's more into survival progression.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Forcedminer Senior Engineer

Wheels of course! X.X
    I've been using them on planets for a good while and enjoy using them.

suppose just like on mars strap a few hydro thrusters on it to reduce or cushion landings.

4. FlakMagnet Senior Engineer

Earthlike moon is far to rough to make wheeled vehiles practical for me. I just end up breaking them.

Have to agree as well...since the asteroids were allowed into close earth orbit, I haven't actually been to any moon. Couldn't see a point.

5. mhalpern Senior Engineer

Well as always with wheels, its more a case of fiddling around to get the right settings, and making sure you have enough clearance under the vehicle to handle the terrain, though thrusters used to aid the wheels do help.

A moon provides a more centralized location to base things out of, and build shipyards for example, and you dont have as much gravity to fight, but you have some you can use to make getting around more efficient than in 0g
    --- Automerge ---
    Also with planets and moons its more advantageous to have your mining systems at least semi stationary, there is more likely to be more ore nodes near the target node as you won't just drill to the other side (even ignoring the unfortunate deletion zone) this is useful for automation i can see using the astroids to make satilites and hydrogen free atmo to orbit transports it's more work to mine planets and moons but more profitable long term

6. Devon_v Senior Engineer

I feel that the easiest thing by far is just to build an asteroid eater. There aren't any massive asteroids anymore, so I would build a big drill made of drills, point it at the resource you want, and drive through the asteroid. Poop all the stone out an ejector array in the rear as you move on to your next target. Any gravity at all is nothing but an impediment to mining.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. DDP-158 Master Engineer

You can use the moon to create a moon base that we shall call the "death star". The secret to this plan will be the moon laser. It was designed by the noted Cambridge physicist Dr. Parsons. Therefore, we shall call it the Alan Parson project

8. May Rears Apprentice Engineer

Mars-like is also lacking, though in my latest games the mars-like has more Uranium than Iron. All of the surface rocks are Uranium.

9. Soup Toaster Apprentice Engineer

Ha! I thought that was just the landing site I chose for my latest new game. Out of about 10 boulders 1 was iron, 1 silicon, 8 uranium. Not that I'm complaining necessarily, but it certainly took some of the challenge of the new start.

10. SpecFrigateBLK3 Senior Engineer

Having recently put wheels on my latest nomadic base, I can say for certain that less stress is put on wheels and less damage is done when collisions happen in 0.25g. I've also found that the alien moon has the smoothest terrain for driving.

11. tankmayvin Senior Engineer

Even when they weren't so close. Flying 50 km with dampers off is hardly enough of an impediment to justify setting up an entire moon base.

Moons (especially Europa) are the best source for large scale ice mining though, so they have utility if you have a large hydrogen fleet.

12. SilentShadow Apprentice Engineer

There was a bug making all the rocks I found iron. They fixed it but now most have become uranium. I wonder if we just have a bad seed?

13. Acolyte Apprentice Engineer

Actually they won't be done even when they say they are done.. :p

14. Soup Toaster Apprentice Engineer

This is in a world that I just started a few days ago, haven't gone back to any of my old games to see if anything has changed.

15. Malware Master Engineer

Granted. But definitely not before :D

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.