Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Having Trouble with Projectors

Discussion in 'General' started by Raelsmar, Nov 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Raelsmar Trainee Engineer

As the topic title says, I can't seem to get my projected holograms to line up with my ship. I have placed a projector block onto my ship and have made a blueprint of that same ship. When I activate the projector to use the blueprint, the hologram does not line up properly with the ship itself. I initially thought this had to do with the pivot point, so I standardized the pivot point and made a blueprint of that ship. Essentially, I'm now projecting a blueprint of the exact same ship with the exact same pivot point. I can always seem to get it to line up except for the yaw position, but I've never gotten the ship to actually project onto itself in a perfect 1:1.

Is this functionality possible? I saw in the dev video for this update that you can make modular ships with projected blueprints, and when they activated it, the hologram fit perfectly around the core of the ship. What exactly needs to be done to get a hologram to fit over a ship for the purposes of eventual repair in the case of damage? I can explain further if needed.

2. Eternal Visitor Trainee Engineer

you need to shift the projection around with the offset values on the projector, this takes some fiddling depending on how badly off the ships pivot point it. I've not had any problems adding projectors onto some of my small ships for repair purposes, but who knows.

3. Raelsmar Trainee Engineer

I neglected to mention that I had done that, and it did line up after tweaking. However, when I tested it by deleting a block and re-projected the blueprint, it defaulted back to the original wonky position, despite the retained offset values in the control panel.

4. muz Apprentice Engineer

I'm also having some trouble -- not so much with placement as with filling it in.

I tried to project a fairly large ship. Not a dreadnought but a ship of significant size. After I welded it, I found that there were lots of non-surface blocks that didn't get welded or were only partly welded. It also wasn't exactly clear why some of the blocks didn't weld.

5. Lallante Trainee Engineer

Obviously you need to be conscious of the welding mechanics:

- only a projected block adjacent to a real block can be welded.
    - welders have limited "range".

therefore you need to design your welding array to weld inside out, to avoid leaving voids of unwelded interior parts.

6. picklerok Junior Engineer

I think I know what your issue is, as I had some trouble with this too. When a projection's blocks are all completed, the projection will shut off. If you are projecting a ship onto itself, the projector will see itself as being complete, as you have placed all of the blocks into the projection. This will cause the projector to shut off. If you want this to not happen, make a small change to your ship (such as change a block) before activating the projector. Then the projector will not see itself as being complete and will not shut off.

7. Raelsmar Trainee Engineer

This is actually what I do want to have happen, I want to use it as a "repair projection" onto itself. What ends up happening is the projection is off by at least one block. I will fix the issue by changing the offset values, but when I project it again using the blueprint, it will revert back to the incorrect placement. I'm looking for a way to ensure that the projection automatically projects directly onto the vessel without having to change offset values.

8. Infekted Apprentice Engineer

I had the same idea, and have similar issue. In addition, turning the block off, loses the blueprint, which has to be reloaded into it, which comes in at some non-aligned position.
    I can re-align it, but it takes time.
    I bind all the projection controls to the G controls and manipulate them till they it lines up. Had no problems with that bit.

9. Ouchtime Apprentice Engineer

There is a small bug with alignment atm. The blueprint is not affected by alignment settings until you change one of them. So if you keep your settings all you have to do is change one to get it working again.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.