Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Hello. I am considering buying Space Engineers: have questions

Discussion in 'General' started by Kiklix, Jun 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Kiklix Trainee Engineer

Hello all. This is my first post.

I have been considering buying Space Engineers for some time now. I currently play Landmark and I am very unhappy with their lack of updates or implementation of systems that allow creations to be anything more than a 3D picture. I make sci fi exclusively, and pretty much just make spaceships so Space Engineers seems like a shoe in for me.

My question about Space Engineers is really where to buy it from. Should I buy it from the developer or from steam? I don't use steam as I am kind of a one game at a time person, but if I get more support in regards to mods through steam, then I will consider purchasing through them. My question about buying it is really in regards to mods and community support. I am not sure how mods are distributed etc but would like the freedom to use a mod if I like it.

Thank you for your time.

2. Valiance Apprentice Engineer

Ignore the bot above
    You can check their main page here on the website. A popular platform people buy it from is steam. With steam the updates are automatic and easy for any user to understand. I haven't played the game without steam so I have no knowledge of this. At some point later in the future it'll also be available for Xbox.

As to regards about your question regarding mods. The workshop is an easy-to-use system that is integrated with the game on steam. You simply subscribe and that's it. You select it from the mod list in your world and it's ready to go. Mods do not cost any money, although developers appreciate donations. I know there has been a talk/push for those kinds of mods, but much of the community is heavily against it, at least for now.

As you would expect, the game is early access. So expect some bugs, weird things to happen, performance issues on the odd time, etc. However it is very playable. I encourage you to try it out, but don't feel pressured to.

They update the game on a weekly basis. Every Thursday. The updates may contain anything from something minor to a major overhaul, or just simple fixes. So every week is exciting for everyone, no matter if they do or don't get what they want.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Dwarf-Lord Pangolin Senior Engineer

I believe a Steam account is required to play Space Engineers. It's a bit like Civilization 5 is -- or, at least was when I got it. You can buy the game in a number of places, but the updates AFAIK come through Steam. Mods are nearly exclusively distributed through the Workshop, which is very closely integrated with Space Engineers. I've seen one mod that wasn't installed through Steam, and that was a UI mod.

Bottom line, nearly all the mods I'm aware of go through Steam, and even that UI mod was listed on the Workshop. The modding community is pretty active, though do be aware that as the game is still in development, mods may break when the game gets updated. That said, most mod authors try hard to keep their mods up-to-date.

Quotes from the website below for further information (fixed formatting).

• Like Like x 1
  4. WardenWolf Junior Engineer

My advice: don't. At least until this company gets their act together and delivers on some of their longstanding promises.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Kiklix Trainee Engineer

Thank you. I will prolly do the steam thing, its on sale anyway. Appreciate your post. :D

I have spent over 700 bucks in Landmark and its a joke of a game. I think SE is currently like 16 bucks on steam, thats the price of a descent lunch. I am not to worried about the cost, if I can get 16 bucks of value in SE (which seems likely) then I might as well get it while its cheap. Thank you for the heads up though.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Kiklix Trainee Engineer

Thank you. I am gonna DL steam again and purchase it.

7. Valiance Apprentice Engineer

@Kiklix
    You'll have a blast with the game. If you do get tired of it in the future, it's nice to look forward to a new feature or update every week. We call it "Patchmas" here x)

I've never tried landmark, i have it on my wishlist though. I was curious about it several months ago.

8. Kiklix Trainee Engineer

Landmark has great voxel fideltiy, I mean you can make some really nice stuff. Its supposed to be "genre agnostic" but really that means fantasy. Landmark only really exists to get players to build free assets for the development company inside of a "workshop". The issue with landmark is that creations do nothing. There is nothing you can do with a build. Spaceships are stagnant, no lasers, no sound, no NPC's. Everything is build on a 'claim' so you can only build in a specific area that you choose.

Recently the updates stopped as landmark does not have its own development team. The people making landmark are also making everquest next. There is no game play loop inside of landmark and frankly I am tired of making stuff that serves no purpose.

I think its worth a try and it has some fun elements to it (really only in building) but with the non existent development and lack of a game play loop it will leave you wanting.

If you try it, wait till steam has it on sale and get the cheap founders pack, it will be like 6 bucks. Anything more and you are wasting your money. I firmly believe the game will be canceled within the next year which means the 700 bucks I dumped into it is a total waste.

9. Valiance Apprentice Engineer

@Kiklix How did you manage to dump $700 onto that? O.o

10. Kiklix Trainee Engineer

You make things on claims. You were allowed two primary claims and 8 add on claims. The game does not have alts, so for alts you need different accounts. I spent 200 on the accounts alone (100 each for the good founders pack, which is now useless). They also started making resources especially iron (which I build in a lot) hard to come by, so I spent about 400 bucks in the cash shop on materials to build with as harvesting them became a time sink that was not worth my time. I could harvest 50k iron in 1 hour, that dropped to 3.5k iron in 1 hour. Some of my builds are over 1 million iron....you can see how my time would add up quick.

I am a food and an idiot for buying into the game and more of a fool for spending that kind of money listening to their lies about development.

EDIT: I just bought space engineers on steam and am downloading it. :D

11. Sinbad Senior Engineer

welcome to the community :D

Also, guild wars two did me on that one. 50 bucks of grind avoidance a week for 2 years. Ill Never ever get a game that has ingame purchaces ever again. The whole thing was set up so if you bought the 'boosters' you could progress at a slowish rate. if you didn't, it could take years to get anywhere.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Harrekin Master Engineer

Don't let the crap performance put you off, they say it'll get better in the future.

$20 bet says you'll love it until you try build something big, then shelve the game until it's fixed.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Kiklix Trainee Engineer

I did the same thing in GW2. I played wow since launch at 15 bucks a month...though that was expensive until I saw that I was spending 60 bucks a month in GW2, I quit after about 4 months of that. But landmark has been the worse so far. In the future I will try my best to stay away from cash shop games.

14. Eternal Visitor Trainee Engineer

not all cash shops are pure evil, but it's really hard to find one that's not either absolutely necessary or completely ignorable.

that micro-rant aside, I've had a fair bit of fun making ships, I'd probably still be eye brows deep in a build if I didn't stink at making really fancy constructs. (and my computer didn't choke on anything larger then a frigate)

15. DDP-158 Master Engineer

Yeah I was about $1500 in PS2. It's easy to throw money at things when you really get into them.

• Like Like x 1
  16. SenorZorros Master Engineer

I haven't spend much more than 500 euro on games in my life...
    1500... how is that possible?
    for the record: I'm not judging, just surprised.
    also, please take everything said here with a grain of salt since we are the fanboys after all...
    also, I think using steam was the right choice since if you buy it from the devs you probably just get a steam key.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Sinbad Senior Engineer

thats the thing about micro transactions (and steam sales...) they add up really quick.

and acquired tolerance. the first month you begrudgingly hand over 5 bucks. next month you get impatient again,so you hand over another 10.. pretty soon its in the weekly budget between milk and bus fare.

• Like Like x 1
  18. SenorZorros Master Engineer

I guess that may be right. I have always been "blessed" with a lack of money to spend on games :). you don't get a lot of money as a teenager without a job.

19. Valiance Apprentice Engineer

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  20. DDP-158 Master Engineer

About 2 years of premium service which is $15 a month which is about $360 right off the bat. Then average about a dozen accessories for each vehicle with an average cost of $7 per item. Sunderers, Harassers, Lightnings, and Liberators were pretty good with crossovers with the exception of faction specific weaponry, but the real payout came from the heavy tanks and fighters. So roughly estimating that was about 400+. Then paint jobs and symbols. I mean I just can't call my girl 'our lady lib' unless she had the lady in red on her side. I miss that old bird. And then we go into soldier gear with emphasis on the engineer, Medic, Max, recon, and heavy in that order. My Engineers alone generally had a half dozen helmets, again averaging about $7 per, plus a small arsenal of guns. And my TR max was in full juggernaut gear. All gear is faction specific except for NS guns so there could have been a good $700 there.

21. KissSh0t Master Engineer

There are people who have spent literally thousands of dollars on spaceships + random things for Star Citizen....

The most I ever spent on a game was Battlefield 4 + Premium for Battlefield 4.. which was about $130... and I don't even feel like I got my moneys worth.

:T

22. DDP-158 Master Engineer

My friends and I were contemplating getting the admiral pack or whatever the high cost package was that came with that big ship but in the end we never got around to it. I'm kind of glad for that now because I honestly haven't heard anything from star citizen. Last report that I read was that you could stand in a hangar and look at your ship.

23. KissSh0t Master Engineer

You can dogfight with a few of the small ships now, mutliplayer online against people... soon a new First Person Shooter game mode comes out...

All the current spaceships are being updated to have a new damage system.. it looks really cool.

Star Citizen will be cool once it's finished I think..

Last edited: Jun 12, 2015
  24. Dawnkeeper Apprentice Engineer

Welcome to the community!

• Like Like x 2
  25. Sinbad Senior Engineer

rails, this thread ^^ just ^^ found ^^ them :) now lets retrace our steps and analyse how we did this, then see if we can apply the same method to the source.

26. Spets Master Engineer

what about Eve? that people are... crazy! if what I hear is true, like... ships for thousands of dollars that get destroyed in 5 minutes? lol

• Like Like x 1
  27. Infekted Apprentice Engineer

Nothing beats some of those "free to play" real time games. I wont advertise any of the names as I believe they are basically horrific. Seen people literally dropping thousands every month. They are like the crack of gaming.

• Like Like x 2
  28. eldarstorm Junior Engineer

Welcome to the SE community, you should have alot of fun with SE.
    Couple of the larger things they are working on should be around the corner (month or so).

As for Star Citizen... ya, I have spent a bit of money there myself :D

29. Carrion Senior Engineer

there are 2 polarising views

despite what a few ?people? have to say KSH update frequently and they haven't had a game breaker that stops ALL play in months. and even then they hot fixed it same evening iirc.
    the ones moaning tend to be the ones who simply dont understand basic development and are also lacking in patience.

the main limits on the game at the moment are Netcode, for MP which is an issue with dysyncing and complex builds.

the scale to which you can build and work generally is limited to the quality of your PC., my rig can handle a very punishing complex station with lots of lights and moving parts before it becomes an issue. others find even a single light makes things unplayable

give you have purchased it, i hope you enjoy playing

• Like Like x 3
  30. Textor Junior Engineer

Definitely worth the price, in my opinion. Also, Keen updates every Thursday-- you will never have a problem with thinking that KSH doesn't update enough.

Carrion is correct-- most people that are negative about SE and Keen tend to expect more than what can reasonably be delivered, then look for reasons why KSH must be "failing" the community. Just keep in mind that not every update will be a major feature, and that Keen may announce things they are working on but not give release dates for those features-- patience is definitely a virtue here.

• Like Like x 2
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.