Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Help making first player model mod

Discussion in 'Questions and Suggestions' started by NPMproductions13, Jan 11, 2016.

1. NPMproductions13 Trainee Engineer

Hello i need help making a custom player mod for space engineers i know how to use blender and things like that i just need to know the process a video tutorial would be amazing but if worded help is possible its better than nothing. I need to know blender plugins and if possible a step by step tutorial .

Last edited: Jan 11, 2016
  2. bronxae Apprentice Engineer

Same here, also using blender, I have my first custom model almost done but would like tutorial on how to add it to space engiees and not just the generic "Use the modding tools" thing, we need to know what scripts we need if any and if done right can the rig use the animations you guys (Keen) already did or do we need to make our own? Also knowledge of how to make the skin's primary color changeable in the game would be cool too but I would think that had something to do with naming the primary material something specific the game would pick up on....

3. Harag Junior Engineer

There's a guide on Steam to port Source Engine characters to SE. The parts that deal with setting up the character to use SE's armature and then exporting to .mwm should be relevant for any character model.

4. bronxae Apprentice Engineer

"The parts that deal with setting up the character to use SE's armature and then exporting to .mwm should be relevant for any character model." - the key word here is Should - problem is that importing the character rig or "skeleton" into a blend file from the SE astronaut causes the bones to orientate to positions that don't make sense (blender's fbx import / exporter hasn't always been the best), so it is often easier to make a new rig and just name the bones the same as the ones in the original rig, my question for Keen's animation specifically relates to where the animation data is actually stored in the skeleton structure.

Example: Blender saves all deform data to the root bone by default (the first one you create), in game engines like Unity3d not knowing how to work with this properly can cause problems animating a rig that isn't a 100% replica of the rig that those animations where made with. My character that I'm working on is a cartoon character that only has four fingers on each hand so I need to know if I need to replicate the pinky finger bones anyway in order for the animations to work properly. Also we need an official guide on how to set up your mod so that if you have to add your own animations because default ones wont work. I assume there is a script somewhere I need to duplicate and edit.

5. Harag Junior Engineer

I can import the astronaut just fine with some minor tweaking. Of course that still leaves you with a basic armature without any helpful stuff like inverse kinematic constraints. @Digi, want to add something? You know more about this than me.

[​IMG]

6. bronxae Apprentice Engineer

hmm that's weird, when I tried importing the astronaut to a blend file ( I was planning on saving the file so I had the astronaut saved for later moding projects), it only imported the rig and at those weird angles I mentioned earlier but the file shows all the parts of the astronaut and I can append them in to an other file...ill have to look into that. I know how to do the bone restraints so dead (ragdoll) characters don't have limbs clipping threw their heads or bodies. I've been using blender for 6 years, so operating inside blender isn't really an issue, what there needs to be is an in depth video tutorial, not just "hey guys, here is a model conversion tool, good luck". Some modders are less experienced than others and wont know that adding animations and stuff like that usually requires a little code finagling as the game usually won't know natively to use the animations you provided (unless of course it is coded to create a custom character controller script for your model when you build it in the model builder....would be nice to have that explained if true).

Still also curious if the character rig has to be an exact replica of the default astronaut's in order for keens animations to work, (Havok is similar to Unity but not 100% copy so there are differences). In Unity in order for different rigs to use the same animations they have to have the same skeletal structure, most animations will cross over if the skeleton has the basic bones (I.E. hands, feet, upper leg, lower leg etc). My question is how does this work for SE, do the bones need a specific name or do they just need to exist and what bones need to exist in order for the animations to work correctly?

7. NPMproductions13 Trainee Engineer

Hi there sorry to revive this two years old- thread but I now face the same issue as I did 2 years ago.
    I've wanted to get back into modding Space Engineers only to be hit with vague and outdated information. Iv'e tried following the guide linked above from 2 years ago to perfection with me substituting the included skeleton with the newest one in the SDK to no avail.
    I'm having massive issues with understanding the mwmbuilder and how it works, and yes I have searched the forums for answers to no avail.
    Right now I need a simple and up to date tutorial on the process of creating my character, I have the rigging, fbx, xml etc ready to go but don't know where to begin. Some threads say mwm builder is out of date and/or broken others say otherwise so right now I need new answers as I feel like I'm being drip feed outdated and vague information.

8. DCam2016 Trainee Engineer

I can't input on anything really, I haven't worked with characters but with MwmBuilder. You could give this one a try...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3ytd1nzp2oqej20/MwmBuilder.zip?dl=0

It's the one that Shaostoul links on his YT Space Engineers tutorial video. He mentions MwmBuilder crashes for him and if it spits out errors to try that one. I think it's an older version. Might be useful :)

9. NPMproductions13 Trainee Engineer

I'm afraid switching from the SDK's mwm builder to your linked one has caused errors, when I build my mwm with the SDK included builder it creates a monstrosity and the model looks like it's been hit by a car.
    any ideas on this @DCam2016
    [​IMG]

10. DCam2016 Trainee Engineer

Holy crap, I can't even make out what is going on there lol