Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Hevy Duty Rotors.

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback' started by Darth_Buddha, Jan 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Darth_Buddha Trainee Engineer

Make them stronger but slower..

That way I can make a giant spinning Ax... And get a few hits in before it breaks.

2. radam Senior Engineer

May the force be with them.

3. Darth_Buddha Trainee Engineer

I can't be the only one who want to make giant space axes?

4. Jakejud Apprentice Engineer

I'm more of a giant space hammer guy

5. Jikanta Apprentice Engineer

I made a giant spinning pick ax before. Though I had to place a cockpit and a thruster just to get it going. But seeing it punch a hole in the side of my carrier and knock it away was rather fun =D But putting that on a ship seems a little dangerous to me. Pretty sure it would make your ship wobble rather unpredictable unless you balanced out with two giant wheel type ax thingies. Now I have to go make one....

6. Leonhardt Senior Engineer

Giant Space Sword or GTFO.

Back on topic, though, this could be easily done by adding a few more settings to regular Rotors.

Like how much the spinner sticks out from the base, so you could make flat, angled hull pieces, and actually connect 2 rotors to the same base craft.

7. Dj0z Trainee Engineer

What i want is a huge rotor, as large as 4 normal rotors (2x2 if you will).

That thing would be extremely sturdy and be used for designs where like half of the ship is attached to the other half by this massive junction, instead of just 1 square that looks frail as hell.

I don't trust normal rotors for anything larger than a hangar door.

8. Rizzitoni Apprentice Engineer

I like the idea of a heavy duty rotor, but I also think you underestimate the current rotors. I built a medium size ship that was segmented front to back such that the front side "flipped" 180 degrees. I've flown it at high speed and used this without issue. If you hide the rotor completely embedding both haves it works well.

9. radam Senior Engineer

And maybe hide a few landing gears on each side aswell. To provide ability to lock and slide.

10. piddlefoot Senior Engineer

What would be better is a 9 block rotor system that has a 1 block hole in it a donut bearing if you will, so you could still corridor the centre and have a huge rotating mass, and walk right down the middle of it from one end to another it would also allow you to walk under gravity from a rotating section of ship to a non-rotating section, I can see dozens of ship designs that could use this, and stations like Babylon 5......

11. Darth_Buddha Trainee Engineer

I Think They have made them stronger.. Since I first posted this.
    They don't break as easy..
    I Like this ^
    <hr class="post_date_divider" size="1" />What i want is a huge rotor, as large as 4 normal rotors (2x2 if you will).

That thing would be extremely sturdy and be used for designs where like half of the ship is attached to the other half by this massive junction, instead of just 1 square that looks frail as hell.

I don't trust normal rotors for anything larger than a hangar door.

And This ^

Can we have them all? Plz

12. Dj0z Trainee Engineer

In fact this ^ sounds better than what i suggested above, for the reasons you gave.

In general, i suppose "minor" variations on the already existing locks (like what we are discussing here) will be added by the devs when the basics of all core systems are already coded. Also it sounds like obvious modding material. For example the one i suggested (2x2) sounds like all we need to do is scale up the base rotor and modify its attachement points (put 4 on each side instead of 1).

13. radam Senior Engineer

Strenght itself is not in how big it is but how its coded.

14. OracleTX Apprentice Engineer

Some kind of heavy rotor would be great, and this has other applications too! I like it!

Also, about those space swords...

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=204611961

15. Mac D Junior Engineer

Definitely, larger hollow rotors will be very useful, posted these suggestions (with an in-game mock-up for suitable size) a while ago on ....

http://forums.keenswh.com/post/larger-more-powerful-and-hollow-motors-6663375

[​IMG]
    The current motors are now much stronger and more powerful so those massive rotating space axe are currently feasible.

(I still prefer throwing massive space axes, instead)

16. Dj0z Trainee Engineer

It's good that you added these pictures, now anyone can immediately get an idea of what we're talking about.

17. Spets Master Engineer

and also a square one, not rectangular as it is now. I think now is 2x3x4 blocks, and I need 2x2x4 blocks. This is just for aesthetic purposes

18. Mr Woodchuck Trainee Engineer

Why not just modify the axle of the rotor to span out to a donut shape? I know that in that sense you can't really have the corridor of an unmoving section of the ship line up with the moving if the moving section happened to be smack in the middle, but if you placed the rotor at the back of the ship with the primary forward thrusters so that the whole back section rotated then you easily simulate a ship with a centrifuge. The only other way I can think of doing it is if you created an arm for the rotor itself, but considering it's shaft driven you'd still have a giant rotor blocking the central corridor of the ship. Maybe if you offset the rotor and attached a heavy duty cog wheel to the shaft and then had cog teeth on the outside of your rotating donut? Probably need shapes more circular rather than octagonal for that though I guess.

19. Fizziii Trainee Engineer

I would like to see a 2x2 rotor, so I can take an object that's an even number of spaces long and pivot around its center. I was hoping that was part of the Heavy Duty Rotor...

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.