Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Hey, has anyone found uranium in 189?

Discussion in 'General' started by Moose, Feb 28, 2019.

1. Moose Trainee Engineer

I've searched around 100 asteroid clusters now in both the last playtest and today's release, I've found no uranium anywhere. What am I missing?

So the release notes state uranium was removed from planets, does that include moons? The earth-like moon seems to be pretty uranium free.

Right now its looking like uranium has been removed from all voxel objects.

2. Mannorot2015 Apprentice Engineer

The ore distribution seems to be different some how...... On my Start on earth like planet i found huge amonuts of Magnesium and silicon, a little bit Gold, nothing else until now in a 6km radius around the landing point on the planet. One thing changed: in the test ice was not shown as ore, now it is showing. Perhaps there is a bug that some ores are not shown anymore. I would suggest looking for the ores manually on the asteroids with the hand drill and naked eye to be be sure about that.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2019
  3. Malware Master Engineer

There's always someone coming in complaining that this ore or that is missing... the answer is always that they've just had seriously bad luck :D It's there. I do believe they've made it rarer. I mean, the way it used to be, you could find one uranium deposit and you'd be set for life... How is that any fun? So I for one hope this is so.

4. Moose Trainee Engineer

Oh dear, I didn't intend to come across as whiny. I totally agree with you regarding the huge deposits in 188 and earlier being overkill. I was just starting to second guess my understanding of where to look for the stuff that after drilling through the core of that many rocks and not even getting a whiff of uranium on the detector while having enough platinum to resurface a planet.

5. Malware Master Engineer

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to imply you were whining :p It's just a very common question with a very common answer, that's all.

6. Mannorot2015 Apprentice Engineer

Same on my earth like Planet, Magnesium and Silicon in vast amaunts, ("enough to resurface a planet"), 5-6 deposits only Magnesium and Silicon, no iron, no cobalt, no silver so far.
    Edit: Until now i found one deposite of cobalt ~10km away and 2 of nickel, 1 gold. They are much rarer compared to the old version.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
  7. Malware Master Engineer

I had unbelievable luck on my drop. Landed right by a lake which had copious amounts of iron, cobalt, silicon (obviously ice) and magnesium. Only had to look for silver, that took a bit.

8. Lord Grey Apprentice Engineer

Well, I found Uranium in the play test world on asteroids. With the 189 I'm still on the planet, so no Uranium of course, but I also had luck to land over an Silicon/Magnesium/Ice spot with Iron/Nickle/Cobald just next door. Gold a little bit further, Silver I have to discover yet. An that on an official Keen server.

9. Roxette Senior Engineer

There is NO Uranium on planets now. It says that right there in the published list of changes.

10. Malware Master Engineer

Asteroid clusters aren't planets :p

11. Roxette Senior Engineer

I should stop posting to the forum before having the correct amount of coffee in the morning ;_;

• Funny Funny x 2
  12. Moose Trainee Engineer

Heh. It dropped me off on a mountain plateau, just rock and snow.

Being one not to be outdone by crappy odds I stripped my dropship and built a small drilling rig, upgrading it with an H2 depot & wind charging station as materials permitted. While I had that creating a 1:1 replica of the Kola bore hole I built a small flyer to scout out local-ish ore deposits.

When I had found all the minerals I needed I stripped the flyer down and built a mobile drilling rig / with about 100m deep reach to slurp up as much ore as it could carry – first stop was cobalt, yay metal grids.

Once back at the depot I built an H2 thruster only factory ship to get me into orbit to grab some platinum and uranium to advance to ion thrusters. Take-off went perfectly and I was soon knee deep in platinum and fitting ion thrusters to my ship.

But alas no uranium anywhere … ANYWHERE!!! Plus, the ion thrusters murdered my batteries! Plan B – I fed my ice reserves to the H2 engine to get the assembler working and built “many” solar panels.

After visiting more asteroids than I want to remember, stopping off every few to grab ice to keep me going I’ve come to the conclusion that I’m stuck with H2 for now. So I’m building hefty refuelling stations at large icesteroid clusters and saving the nuclear option for that lucky find.

13. Roxette Senior Engineer

In a local single player game, if you find the new generation asteroids are making it an unbearable grind finding the ores you need to progress, you can hand edit the Sandbox.sbc file and change the <VoxelGeneratorVersion> to 2 . Usual disclaimers apply ;)

14. Moose Trainee Engineer

Oh that's cool, thanks... but nope, gonna stick with with the uranium free lifestyle. I'm invested in big hydro now!

15. ObjectZero Apprentice Engineer

Great I had no luck finding it in the old version (just un-lucky) now it's even harder. Well at least I more other options this time around.

16. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

If it gets too rough for needing Uranium and you do not want to edit the Sandbox.sbc you can always use the mod Uranium and Ice.
    It isn't over powered at all, the Uranium it produces is just enough to work in those dire situations. (tested in the new 1.189 build it still works fine)
    Not saying is a must have mod, but it makes an uncomfortable situation just a bit more bearable. :)

17. Stardriver907 Master Engineer

GoodAI watches how you play, determines which ore will be critical for your session, and eliminates it from the game.

• Funny Funny x 7
  18. May Rears Apprentice Engineer

On my Earth-like I landed upside down at high altititude so plenty of ice. Once I built my atmo miner I found gold and silver in the same patch on the next trip to an unknown signal. Maybe it is random, maybe location affects it. Whatever way they work it I am having fun at the moment. :)

19. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

Just for grins and giggles, I popped around in space looking for uranium. It took about two dozen tries, but I found some. Buried in the center of an asteroid. So, yes, it does exist, but it's really rare.

In my opinion, not depending on uranium in the game is simply a shifted paradigm for the game. We need to rely on alternate energy sources. Unfortunately, in the game, as in real life, nothing comes close to having the energy density of a nuclear reactor. It'll take five hydrogen engines to equal a single small reactor, and that doesn't take into account the increased weight penalty. And it's just not feasible to try to replace a large reactor with hydrogen engines. But designing ships will change because that's just the way it is now.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2019
  20. Moose Trainee Engineer

Awesome news. So it was just rotten luck. Good stuff. Though I'm guessing I'll probably be using the ol' Hindenburg class space tug for a good while at that rarity then. Heh.

21. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

I should have mentioned that I found another asteroid in only three more tries. So they are out there, but you've got to be diligent.

22. Mollymawk Trainee Engineer

not yet, but I've not gone looking for it other than visit a few asteroids.. On my primary survival game I still has 15000kg of ingots from before the update.

23. FoolishOwl Junior Engineer

I'm astonished -- I thought that hydrogen engines would be air-breathing engines.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

I made Uranium, Ice and Cobalt for situations where you are stranded. It only provides trace amounts so it isn't to much of a cheat and will help through those tough times.

25. Moose Trainee Engineer

So, started a new survival save for an MP game. The first asteroid cluster I hit going straight up from my start location has outrageous amounts of uranium and cobalt! Now if I could just find some platinum... :D

26. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

I love the new version. It’s feast or famine.

27. Soup Toaster Apprentice Engineer

I really like this. Before it was so easy to just use reactors, now you have to... you know... do some engineering and cost/benefit analysis.

• Agree Agree x 1
  28. ObjectZero Apprentice Engineer

By that logic and from the current outcome of my current playing. The AI has decided to remove all but Stone from my games.

But really, I get okay Ur is no longer in planets okay. Ur aside I'm having trouble finding Ag and Au as well, is that normal now? Hell I ran in to a number of asteroids with just stone. I never had that in my old worlds, sure I might run in to one with just a bit of iron but at least something.

29. Mollymawk Trainee Engineer

Once you have ships capable of finding and mining all the ore you needed build said ships, you no longer need the ore... I'm getting more stuff than i can use from "mining" NPC ships..

I wonder if Code were involved in game play design, (eve online reference) at least when accused of using bots to mine i can, yes, good aren't they.

Edit: got confusing with double negative

30. Calaban Junior Engineer

One thing to point out, that I noticed in my extended beta play testing, and that remained true in post release, is one thing about ore deposits many may not realize, and after knowing, will make finding other ores more productive:

Ore content is "regional" to some large degree. If one hillside patch is silicon/magnesium, then odds are good the patches for a good 5km all around are similar. Same with asteroids.

So, if the ore your looking for is not there, there is not much point looking at neighboring patches/ cluster asteroids.

As was cleverly (and casually) mentioned by Xocliw in a recent steam: "we want players to need to travel around more"

And here we are. So if you're looking for uranium, scouring every single asteroid in a cluster amounts to a waste of time. Go to a different cluster. Another mountainside. Travel. This one realization will make ore searches much more productive.

What this also means is: gone are the days when you could have every ore within 10km... Just not a thing to expect anymore, so adapt accordingly.

Hope that took some of the frustrations away from many struggling prospectors... You can also slap your foreheads in shame in private, on your own time. We don't need to know.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1