Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Higher speed outside of engine calculation a possibility?

Discussion in 'VRAGE' started by elch, Jan 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. elch Apprentice Engineer

Hi everyone,

I was just wondering:
    Would it be possible to have objects flying with speed higher then 104 m/s if the ship wouldn't be included in the engine physics calculations?
    Because of the exploration update I was wondering if it's possible to have specially designed engine ( Something like this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NERVA)
    which would propel the ship at high speeds ( let's say 1000m/s for simplicity, but I hope it could get higher).
    I've read most of the threads about why 104 m/s is the speed limit for the engine and so I was wondering I such high speed could be achieved outside the engine calculations.

The idea is this:
    You have two bases A and B which are far away from each other thanks to exploration update ( let's say 300 000 m ) and you want to get from A to B.
    The main point is you or someone in your faction had already discovered the direct flight path so you have the precise map of all the rocks in the way.
    You plot a course and start path flight path pre-calculation so the engine has time to pre-calculate and avoid collisions with all the static objects.
    Then you engage the high speed thrusters with a button.
    Key point is the map ( which It's said to be coming at some point ), without the map, it engine wouldn't engage.

Ship will accelerate a bit but at this point all physics calculation are stopped for the object. and the ship itself is replaced with some cool looking animation of the ship acceleration.
    Nobody from outside can interact with the ship as well as nobody on the inside can get out or change any blocks.
    Or it might be better if every one on the ship must be seated ( that's logical) and they can't get up.

During the flight only something in the way or lack of power will trigger the rapid deceleration.
    Since course is well known all the static objects are also known and the area which the ships shape can be approximated by simple rectangle.
    Wouldn't this simplify a collision detection?
    So when ships or stations get to near vicinity of the "flying rectangle" ( the traveling ship ) or their vector shows that collision is imminent.
    The ship traveling at high speed will just stop automatically in safe distance to avoid any collisions.
    ( stations are included only because ships can be converted to stations and back )

Flight would take the real time which would it require to get there at ships speed.
    From the outside the movement would look like blurred animation, if someone gets too close, ships engine will safely disengage and ship will rapidly decelerate.
    Stopping would be essentially copying the ship from the place where it started it's engines in to the coordinates where the "stopping animation" has ended.

From inside, such flight could look like some blurred animation which would be generated during the path calculation. from the actual flight map.

The end:
    Is something like this possible to do and have it stable?

I guess there might be some holes in my idea, please any constructive comments on the matter are welcome.

2. Spartan322 Apprentice Engineer

This question is no longer needed if referring to space engineers, the game has a the ability to override max world speed with external scripts.

3. elch Apprentice Engineer

1. I'm asking if something like this is possible, not if it's needed.
    2. If it is possible it could give you much higher speeds with low performance impact then the latest update.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2015
  4. Spartan322 Apprentice Engineer

Well, unless you want your computer to get massive lag(or blow up), even the best of collision detection would have issues with too high of a speed, hyper realistic collision detection is not possible at higher speeds, it doesn't matter what you do, this won't go well,and if you travel more then a mile per tick (and you ship was less then a mile long), the calculations won't even be done because you would pass the object before you could calculate the object in with physics. The problem is that ticks require time to do (your computer has a top speed, you may not comprehend it but it does) and you may call it frames per second or even ticks in a second but it is really based on the hertz of your cpu/apu core (or ppu), but that speed is usually limited because even though the core could move fast, the actual computer may not be able to handle it, so unless you want to break both the game and your computer, calculations will not succeed at 1 mile per tick in game, so don't try it.

Tick - moments faster then a second (some games do 20 ticks in a second, others do 40, some even do 100 (if well optimized) but Space Engineers probably does at most 50)

TL;DR: So simply, try it, but be warned, you will probably be taking such a huge risk because you can not eliminate or minimize the lag (with current technology)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2015
  5. elch Apprentice Engineer

The whole idea behind my original post was to avoid collision detection.
    And my question if it's possible to do it like i described or not. Nothing else.
    I'm not even sure you've read the OP. :/

6. Bobylein Apprentice Engineer

Without real collision detection I am quite sure it would work, other games which use bounding boxes only doesn't have problems with high speeds too and I really like your idea.

7. zDeveloper10 Junior Engineer

would it be a bit like EVE's warp drives?

8. Anthropy Trainee Engineer

The physics engine can handle ships flying at insanely high speeds already, easily thousands of meters per second or more theoretically, you just can't expect it to keep up and know when you took 0.005ms to fly through an entire asteroid.

Space engineers has a tickrate of 60 updates per second, which is quite reasonable considering the average. This means that if an object collision takes shorter than 1/60th of a second (~16,67ms in ideal situations) the collision will simply not be detected.

Perhaps in the future we could see a tickrate option to change it yourself, but I doubt it as it tends to also control the speed of many other ingame logic.

9. druppi Apprentice Engineer

Hi

I have another question .... where in the config's of a Server i can setup a higher tickrate? like 100 or 200 ?

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.