Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Hold F - Hand Crank Wheel alternative key

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback' started by zeronio, Nov 30, 2017.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. zeronio Apprentice Engineer

While playing ME - especially on a ds - i have often the problem by using the hand crank wheel.
    Currently I am building a elevator and while using this wheel it happens that while holding F, it gets into inventory instead of using it, if a small lag occurs I even have the rope drum in my inventory back : /

I would suggest to either if you press F you get into a "use mode" where you then can press e.g. Up and down or to add a key instead of Hold F, Press e.g. G, and let F for picking up things.

P.S. When will the rotor come back?^^ A blueprint pasted into world has a working, automatic rotor ;)

Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  2. anders w Apprentice Engineer

i have the same issue. offline and online.

i have been thinking about a use mode as well, so i can only second that suggestion, there needs to be changes/fixes to the small grid interaction.

edit: i created my own thread with the suggestion i had in mind as not to hijack yours.

if you're interested ill post a link here for an alternate suggestion, as we share a common goal. :)

https://forums.keenswh.com/threads/...all-grid-no-more-unfortunate-pickups.7398680/

Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
  3. Ghostickles Senior Engineer

This is frustrating, i keep grabbing up the handles. Why not press 'f' to grab and then use the mouse wheel for the actual cranking. Keep hold 'f' to remove.
    EDIT: this should give better control than 'hold for x time'

4. Ghostickles Senior Engineer

Fourth time in an hour, making the post, sorry.
    - from a design standpoint the crank activation is poorly conceived.
    Lets say one builds a thing, anything, they stand on and have to turn a crank while it moves, even slightly. I am at the end of my wits with accidentally ripping out pieces that should not be ripped out because of slight movements and I'M HOLDING THE F KEY.
    What does holding the F key do?
    Removes things.
    Using Hold F to also activate things?
    C'mon guys!
    Even the press 'f' to lift is a half baked concept, seems like a waste of work. It does not prevent nearby blocks from also accidentally being removed.
    Please, please, please add this to the list, even though its probably more of a library of things you are working on.
    :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Thermonuklear Junior Engineer

+666

I don't usually yell profanities while playing, but the F key has been the sole reason for a ton of F words. Some V, P, S words too!

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. bobhendly Apprentice Engineer

AHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!! YES! PLEASE FIX THIS!

7. Sir_Moodz Apprentice Engineer

Not only do you pick it up sometimes, but you also lose focus on it when your standing on a moving object for example.
    Best solution: press f to start spinning until you go to far or you press again.

8. Ghostickles Senior Engineer

Burst works ok, but truly best solution: Keep your inventory full of things so you cannot pick up anything. :)

9. jozsefsz Apprentice Engineer

I just wanted to post it! I have the same issue with my mountain-side climber. At first I was like "OMG it works!", then I removed accidentally the crank wheel and the rope drum as well. I tried to configure the binding, but couldn't find anything to solve this issue.

10. MorshuArtsInc Apprentice Engineer

I remember a time ages ago (when earth was still flat) in which there were separate use and take keys. I wonder to this day why they changed it to today's one button solution.

11. jozsefsz Apprentice Engineer

Most likely an accident in my opinion

12. Ghostickles Senior Engineer

13. scouterdude Trainee Engineer

I saw that mod before completing that particular quest, and it didn't make much sense. Having done so now tho - yeah, I'd have to jump on that dogpile. In a helpful sort of way, of course.

14. Ghostickles Senior Engineer

Love to the modders, however this resolves only part of the problem, accidentally removing nearby blocks remains problematic.

• Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.