Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

How about a restart?

Discussion in 'General' started by guran, Mar 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Dragonspride Apprentice Engineer

The only way I'd support a SE2 is if they made SE1 open source, because lets face it the modders know better. and if they swore to cut this secrecy bs and communicate with their community.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. PLPM Junior Engineer

I wouldn`t say modders know better. Not every mod is of good quality.

However, it is true that the developers have become disconnected with the game itself. SE is lacking in all departments but visuals to simply just leave it to the modders to fix it. Doing that will MASSIVELY fracture the comunity as each fragment makes a frankenstein SE suited for them.

This is not bad in a singleplayer game like Skyrim, but in a multiplayer game, it divides the players and makes the community work against itself.

It`d become a very hostile environment.

3. Calaban Junior Engineer

I can see a "Oolite" or "Continuum" like community open source rebuild continuing the game long after KSH is finished with it. It would just take a bit of overall organization, some fan website, with talented coders that have a soft spot for the dream that was Space Engineers making it a project just for the feels.

(not IT!)

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Dragonspride Apprentice Engineer

No I do think the modders know better. I dissagree that SE is even a game yet. It would become a market environment call it hostile or not. The same thing we have on the workshop we would have then. The most competent would move to the top. I think that would cause a competition to get SE to have the best vision that we all love. That potential that keen has given up on. It would certainly be better then just abandoning SE to the archives and telling the community a bunch of under-respected beta testers to piss off. And hey these fractious comunites your talking about would be great for lore and game content. Full scale war.

5. PLPM Junior Engineer

You seem to keep forgetting that everyone`s "Best vision that we all love" is different for each one of us, full scale war would NOT be possible, yes we`d have some kind of "lore" but It`d fragmented, as game content would too be fragmented. The myriad of mods the workshop has is the perfect example of the problem, unless someone rises above everyone else in quality for a given feature, you`ve got a lot of diferent mods, and if a consensus is reached upon a specific one, only thing that needs to happen to crumble down is the mod author stopping support, or a better mod coming out, and it`ll start all over again, rendering previous work moot.

It is quite possible to have a group of members that improve upon SE like a dev team, but considering the potential scope of SE, there will always be someone dissatisfied with it that will break off, this is to be expected, and it shouldn`t be much of a problem in a normal community, but since you`ve got A LOT of diferent features and tastes, the chances of everyone making an organized line with polls for the next feature and wait, is highly unlikely.

I`m not saying to screw it all and let SE die. All I`m trying to say is it is potentially, a very bumpy ride to take if we just let the community RIGHT NOW take the reins on SE to see what happens with it. I do believe the future of SE is with the community at heart, but I don`t believe it is yet the time (Unless of course the devs say "screw it" and they leave us with a stranded SE) to call for the rise in arms.

6. Sich Trainee Engineer

They have to "finish" SE first... At least make it playable in multi player and give some love to survival.
    After that yes they should "restart" with all they have learn...
    But for SE 2 they have to make it work on Linux and Mac...

7. Malware Master Engineer

It would be nice, sure, but they certainly don't have to. That market isn't big enough to warrant any kind of "have to". They've made it quite well with a purely windows release for this version to prove that.

Now, making a linux-compatible dedicated server, that would probably not be out of the question for a restart - if it's considered from day one, but making the game itself Linux and Mac compatible, not so much. Multiplatform development is a PITA so it needs to be worth it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Tenzo Apprentice Engineer

There is no progress without order.

A state of anarchy would not advance the development of SE. In fact, it would drive people (modders in this case) away from it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Morloc Apprentice Engineer

Remember when V'ger got laid and then realized that its mission wasn't over because it now looked at the universe with a brand new perspective? That's what would happen if only they'd add a GAME to Space Engineers. We have this amazing sandbox platform, but there's not much to do with those sand castles we build. It's like that look you gave your Etch-A-Sketch when in a single day you went from "WOW! this is SO cool!!!!....to "OK. Bored now." ....except unlike the Etch-A-Sketch, this CAN be fixed.

-Morloc

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. Stardriver907 Senior Engineer

You know what happens when Homer Simpson sees doughnuts? That's what happens to me when I hear talk about SE on a Linux server.

11. Malware Master Engineer

@Stardriver907 Yyyyeah... Just don't hold your breath, that won't end well :p

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. halipatsui Senior Engineer

What if it is possible in heaven?

Totally worth it

• Funny Funny x 1
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.