Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

How can I set up a simple starting scenario on a planet?

Discussion in 'General' started by FoolishOwl, May 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. FoolishOwl Junior Engineer

I want to set up a simple starting point for a scenario, on a planet's surface, for experimenting with creative mode as I learn the basics of this game, particularly designing ground vehicles. Is there a simple way to do this?

So far, the available options I can see are the "Easy Start [ Earth | Moon | Mars | Alien ]" scenarios, and the "Star System" scenario.

The "Easy Start" scenarios have good locations, but I find it overwhelming to have an elaborate base already present, with a lot of features present that I don't entirely understand. (There's also the immediate drone attacks, but at least that I know how to disable in the "advanced" settings.) I'd rather have a clean slate.

The "Star System" scenario starts out with me floating over a mountain range on an Earth-like world. The problem there is it seems difficult to find some level ground to build upon. After a lot of flying, I can eventually find a somewhat large valley -- still surrounded by steep mountains, which rather boxes in any ground vehicles I build.

I've seen references to a scenario in which you start out in a respawn ship in orbit around a habitable planet -- but that doesn't seem to be an available option in the game currently, at least not as far as I can see.

The obvious things left to try are to either start with an "Easy Start" scenario and delete all the existing structures, or to spawn a planet in "Empty Space" and pick out a starting place from orbit, then fly down.

2. Me 10 Jin Apprentice Engineer

Start "Star System" in creative mode. When you spawn in, hop out of the lander's seat and press ctrl X and click 'yes'. Next, press F8 to enter the spectator camera. While using this camera, the mouse wheel adjusts your flying speed. Fly around looking at stuff. Press ctrl space to teleport your character to the camera's location.

• Like Like x 1
  3. FoolishOwl Junior Engineer

Ah, I'd assumed spectator mode would have the same speed limitation.

There's no lander in "Star System", though. I just spawn, floating about a kilometer from the ground, in a space suit.

EDIT: the lander shows up as an option when in survival mode, though.

Last edited: May 12, 2017
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.