Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

How do I get the large block hydrogen engine to work?

Discussion in 'Gameplay Help' started by Soup Toaster, Mar 2, 2019.

1. Soup Toaster Apprentice Engineer

So yeah, like the title says. I've got 1200 hours in this game, so I'm not new but I can't get them to work. Large block, conveyored to an oxygen generator with ice, grid has three wind turbines and a large battery with 1.2mw of power. So there's power, there's hydrogen generator, there's ice, it's conveyored directly, but it does nothing. Not generating power to recharge the battery, not filling it's internal hydrogen tank, nothing. It just sits there.

Mocking me.

I mean, I've only been away from the game for like 6 months. What am I missing? This can't be that complicated.

2. DragonShadow Apprentice Engineer

Don't you actually have to have a hydrogen tank for thrusters to work? Or rather, I don't think the hydrogen generated by a single o2/h2 gen is enough to get a big thruster going without building up a reserve over time.

3. Soup Toaster Apprentice Engineer

I was trying to figure out how to get the new hydrogen powered electric generators to work. But from watching some youtube videos the hydrogen generators don't turn on unless there's a power deficiency. I thought it was a manual on/off sort of thing but if your grid doesn't appear to "need" the power it won't turn on. I was trying to use it to charge up a large grid battery just to give the new survival mechanics a whirl. Got it figured out now though.

Considering the confusion I had and every person in a youtube video has about them, you'd think Keen would make the engine's rules a little more obvious or intuitive....

4. DragonShadow Apprentice Engineer

Lol, good to know. I thought you were talking about the large thruster, haha.

5. Soup Toaster Apprentice Engineer

No problem, thanks for trying to help. The thing I love about this game is you spend so much of your time just trying to get it to reveal it's secrets!

6. ObjectZero Apprentice Engineer

Turn it on and off. Ya sounds stupid but it kick on for a while after that putting out about 50% if it only has an O2/H2 gen and 100% if it pulls from a tank to fill up. But it's pretty hungry when running full speed. It's like dealing withe the old batteries before auto charging was a thing.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. WildCatNL Trainee Engineer

I'm somewhat confused on how the hydrogen engine fills up it's internal tank.
    For the hydrogen engine to work, I need Ice in an O2/H2 gen, a battery with some power in it and the whole setup works.

It however never fills it's internal tanks with the bare basic setup and requires the ridiculously large hydrogen tank connected to the setup.
    The requirements of needing the large hydrogen tank feels somewhat weird as a requirement, is they Hydrogen Engine supposed to work like this?

8. Malware Master Engineer

One h2 generator isn't enough to fill its tank. I never use the generator and engine on the same grid, it's horridly inefficient in so many ways. Keep the h2 generation on a separate grid, filling off-site tanks which you can do to almost instantly refill your engine tanks. It's like batteries that is charged near instantly. I always wonder why people think having their fuel refining and fuel tank on the same vehicle is a good idea, makes no sense to me ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. J-Cataclism Trainee Engineer

Just adding... maybe you have already seen:

10. Spaceman Spiff Junior Engineer

Gee, it’s always worked alright for me, even with only a single O2/H2 generator. It has to be jump-started with power for the O2/H2 generator such as via a wind turbine or three to start producing the hydrogen gas so the generator will run.

11. Malware Master Engineer

It may be working, but afaik if it doesn't get enough gas it will provide less power (hearsay warning!!!). Also using ice over gas has a weight and volume disadvantage (unless high inventory multiplier, probably)

• Like Like x 1
  12. Spaceman Spiff Junior Engineer

I have only four things to say about that: ur-a-ni-um.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Soup Toaster Apprentice Engineer

I was messing around with the hydrogen engine on the space starter ship in survival and I gotta say this block doesn't feel right. The tank will fill while it's running if you have enough H2 generators going, but you can't switch it to fill the hydrogen tank while NOT generating electricity. That's just weird! I hope they change it so we can fill the tank without having it run. Just makes it very awkward to use.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Spaceman Spiff Junior Engineer

I usually set up a base with a hydrogen engine as a backup source of power. With a bunch of wind turbines running and supplying the needed power, the hydrogen engine tank will fill without it running. At least, that's been my experience.

15. Malware Master Engineer

They won't change it on a whim. They need to be told this isn't good.
    --- Automerge ---
    Unfortunately not. My vehicles all run on hydrogen, and I need to keep the engine running to fill it from the fuel station.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Soup Toaster Apprentice Engineer

It almost seems like only wind or solar power will fill the generator without running it, and only if you have enough wind/solar to supply everything the grid needs. Haven't tried yet with a reactor attached because... well if you already *have* a reactor why on earth would you use a hydrogen engine?

• Disagree Disagree x 1