Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

How Do I Record a Video of My Build in Action?

Discussion in 'General' started by Spaceman Spiff, Jun 27, 2019.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

Yeah, it seems like I should know this, but I'm flummoxed (now there's a word you don't hear everyday!). I tried using administrative controls (Alt-F10) to do the replay video thing, and it recorded the actions I performed, but I couldn't figure out how to find the video of what I did so I could include in with my blueprint. Said another way, I want to be able to post my build's blueprint with a video showing the critter in action and admit I have no idea how to do so. And before you ask, Google was not my friend.

2. Stardriver907 Master Engineer

Every video I have ever posted was recorded from a live stream on Twitch. That's the cheapest way. I've always had trouble running SE and OBS on the same computer, so I never even attempted playing and recording SE on the same computer. Especially because if I did my own recording I would want it to be 4K.

Yes, I'm looking for a good capture card.

3. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

OBS shouldn't cause any issues. I used to use it for my SE videos way back. I took them all down as they were dated. Lol.

Give me a shout out if you would want help setting it up and see if it works for ya.

Edit Added link to OBS

4. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

Thanks, Mojo. I'll give it a shot and see what happens.

5. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

If you have an Nvidia product you should be able to do captures from the video card. I think if you use the GeForce Experience control panel you can set up all of your particulars: directory, hotkeys, etc. I've used it before with great success and I'm running an old Titan Black.

6. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

I do, in fact, have an NVidia card. Thanks for that suggestion. I'll check it out.

7. 3eepoint Junior Engineer

If you have windows 10 you can use its recording feature under windowskey+G

8. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

Yeah, no...this didn't work. It wanted to update my video driver, but doing so failed time after time. I tried half a dozen different ways, and each time it failed. I finally gave up, ripped the video drivers, and let Windows 7 (yes, it's that old of a system) reinstall the video driver. Now everything works again.

9. Roxette Senior Engineer

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
  10. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

I still haven't figured out how to fully recover from my decision to install GeForce Experience. From a video standpoint, nothing works as well as before. I may never be able to fix that boondoggle.

11. Roxette Senior Engineer

I can relate to that... in my experience Nvidia have not always made a good job of backwards compatibility, for whatever reasons. In such circumstances you may need to use tools that go above and beyond the simple Windows 'uninstall this program' step to clear the leftover funk from the registry and stray DLLs reverting to the default Microsoft VGA drivers before then re-installing either only the drivers for the card, or an earlier version of the full package with GeForce Experience. Search for other users experience of what works with similar systems. Nvidia do (or did, last time I needed it) at least retain a comprehensive download archive of earlier releases.

In the end, if you can't find a better solution, I have in my storage area designated "I may still need this shit one day" a box with VGA in and out connectors and RCA jacks to feed composite video and audio signals to a VCR. ^.^

12. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

As recommended by some guy on the NVidia forum, I used a stripper tool called Display Driver Uninstaller to completely rip out all of NVidia's settings and programs throughout my system; it has to be done from Safe Mode. I verified that nothing remained on my system or in the Registry. I then tried again with the install, choosing the custom setup and selecting only the display drivers for installation (again, as recommended by this same person). FAIL. Ripped-and-stripped again, reinstalled again...FAIL. Downloaded a "guaranteed" stable earlier version, ripped-and-stripped again, reinstalled again...FAIL. Downloaded a "really guaranteed" stable, even earlier version, ripped-and-stripped again, reinstalled again...FAIL. I've tried installing the display drivers from Safe Mode, from regular mode, from everything mode...FAIL. Two days I dinked around trying to get this stupid thing to accept the graphics drivers (my mistake was not beforehand noting the stable version that I had installed before I fell into the abyss). FAIL, FAIL, FAIL...ad infinitum. As Mr. Huph, Bob's boss in the movie The Incredibles, said, "I'm not happy, Bob. Not happy. Ask me why."

13. Calaban Junior Engineer

getting a current Nvidia driver may be essential. oh.. wait. Getting an OS that wasnt replaced 2 OS iterations and over 7 years ago may be the first step in finding viable drivers. Nono- not to shame, just to give solid solutions to your problems.. for reference:
    My geForce experience is fine.. in game I just Alt-F9 (begin shadowplay recording with sound/voice) Alt-F9 again (stop and save)

*Flashback shudders (Windows7 was around when they still sold music Compact Disks... remember those? -dare i say it- even payphones were still in front of 7/11s. and those 7/11's still sold.... road... maps (remember those?!) )

Last edited: Jul 1, 2019
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  14. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

I'd do that if I could get the nvidia driver to install. So, nope.

15. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

Weird... I'm on Windows 7 too and things work fine. The "Nvidia Experience" is a separate app besides the driver. Did you use the install package particular to your graphic card's manufacturer (EVA, MSI, etc.)?

Also, try a clean install of your driver by removing any old Nvida/GeForce installs.

16. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

Yes, yes, yes, yes, and yes. I loaded msconfig and shut down all processes. I shut down virus protection. I shut down everything. I installed as an administrator. If it's possible, I did it. Fail, fail, fail, fail, and fail. (Did I mention it failed?) I tried installing old, older, and really older versions...nope.

I have an EVGA GeForce GTX 970 video card (P/N: 04G-P4-3875-KR). I've been to EVGA's website to get video drivers, and they just point back to NVidia's website. I searched the EVGA forum, found someone with a similar problem, followed everything exactly as the moderator directed, and even tried installing the version that "works every time". Yeah, no, that didn't work either.

It's possible the video card is faulty, but the Windows 7 native driver installs without a problem (although its performance blows chunks!). Here's the Windows 7 native driver info...

[​IMG]

17. Stardriver907 Master Engineer

Highlight created from Twitch stream I did yesterday:

It ain't 3D 4K, but it's a video of my ramp in action.

18. dispair Apprentice Engineer

It sucks that you are having so many issues. I record with nvidia's built in software, from my tower it works, but not my laptop. No need for capture cards or system killing software. You may have to jump up to the new windows, or a fresh. Install of your entire operating system.

19. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

@dispair If you are into less of a system hog, you may want to look into OBS as well. It uses fewer resources (memory) than the Nvidia software. However the initial set up of the program may not be as straight forward. At least the version of OBS I have. I haven't updated to the newest version of it as the version I have works perfectly. So unless they changed things in new versions of OBS, it is a better option resource wise.

20. R-TEAM Junior Engineer

i can recomended OBS too - i use this (high to 4k) to get videos (save on HD) or stream (twitch) things - nice and perfectly ...
    But as mojomann71 say - the config "can" be non easy ... depends on the HW (GPU,CPU,board) and OS you have ...

21. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

OK, using OBS I created my first video and uploaded it to YouTube (also a first). It's rough...I admit it. I used Photoshop to add a caption at the beginning, but it increased the video size significantly. (I need a better video editing tool.) The video was uploaded with my new build called Skipjack Tunnel Master: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1790992393

22. R-TEAM Junior Engineer

a good free video editing tool is Shotcut (i use this for simple things - for more complex things Nuke ..., but this is not free ;) )

23. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

Yeah, but I need to make sure I've switched over to a widescreen monitor before recording next time. (My widescreen monitor is my secondary monitor and not very good at that, which is why I do most on my old (circa 2002) Dell 20-inch 4x3 monitor.)

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.