Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

How...Do we live with ourselves? Paranoia and Griefing.

Discussion in 'General' started by Starmonger, Aug 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Starmonger Trainee Engineer

Ok, so this is something im asking to all engineers.

I started playing this game a couple of weeks ago, And Im loving the game to death obviously.
    Survival is a challenge, Building is amazing, And Using Guns to threaten someone to Back the F*ck away from my stuff never gets old..

But Ive grown paranoid.
    Never have I felt the adrenaline rush of fear when I suddenly hear random explosions, Items making a Huge banging sound out of nowhere, Something Being Grinded away, Turrets Suddenly opening fire on some unsuspecting...or Stalking... engineer and Parts vanish off of my creations.
    This gets worse while i'm building something atm or while im away from the server.
    It feels terrible. And simply telling me "Go play on your own world Privately" Is ignorant and boring.
    You don't get that Feeling of working with others, And Getting Completely wrecked rarely happens

To make matters worse, the apparent presence of Griefers Makes me very nervous. ( Yes I know they exist, every game has these failures of human existance.) They rarely occur on the server im playing on, But maybe that adds to my paranoia.

Ive taken the liberty of Surrounding myself, my homes and my ships with Guns and Missiles.
    And Allowing No one to approach me without Friendly indications.

So I ask this Community, How do we live with ourselves?
    Alone?

2. mastpayne Senior Engineer

I do believe that is what we call 'immersion'!

You are gettin' your money's worth.

3. Starmonger Trainee Engineer

Its doing a good job, But other than Spamming the Crap out of Turrets, guns and ammo or playing privately...
    How do you deal with the fear of being F*cked by another engineer?

4. Tiger313 Apprentice Engineer

Single player - the answer to all your bad griever experiences.

I rightfully don't give a rodent's rectum for grievers, so I stick to my lonesome self and enjoy mucking about.

5. THE_VB Junior Engineer

I lube my A...utomated turrets with some additional oil OR hide base in an asteroid OR play with other players OR go far from asteroids to have lower chances of being seen OR make rotary shields that can stop the initial blow of griefers OR put on my pink suit, because we are going to f*ck. Well the last option is only for female griefers. In other cases I just RUN.

6. Starmonger Trainee Engineer

I see what you did there...

Running? how does that work, You simply abandon all your possesions because F*ck it, Its going to be totaled, Time to start over?

7. Crewman87 Apprentice Engineer

I usually build a large ship, and use it as a mobile base of sorts. This way I can run and keep my stuff.
    Alternatively, building inside an asteroid is also fairly safe from yellow creepers.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

8. Starmonger Trainee Engineer

What are...Yellow creepers?
    Im kinda new to this forum so Where do yellow creepers come from?

9. piddlefoot Senior Engineer

There the same as the green creepers only yellow.......

10. SenorZorros Master Engineer

they mean the rescue ship which you gat if you die and don't have a medbay. many griefers use it to crash into other's creations because it's free.

11. Starmonger Trainee Engineer

OH. that thing.
    -.-"

12. THE_VB Junior Engineer

I move my legs in space praying the space jesus.
    Heck no! I actually use starcraft terran main tactics, like base takeoff and movement.

13. DDP-158 Master Engineer

I play on a private server. It's still MP but we control who is allowed to enter and we make the rules as to what happens. It's good to be king.

14. The Churrosaur Junior Engineer

http://forums.keenswh.com/post/the-ultimate-orbital-drone-defense-shield-system-7050823?pid=1284030441#post1284030441

15. Steelpanther Apprentice Engineer

I couldn't live with myself, I've been dead for 3 months now.

16. Samsonguy920 Apprentice Engineer

For one thing, always save a backup. Backups protect you from both griefers and bad bugs left over from an update, and not to mention goof-ups made by yourself.
    Another, if you go public, expect the public to come to you. There is no better chaos than letting Everyone into your world. It tends to be best to build with that in mind.
    I keep my worlds on Friend-access only. For one, it shortens the list to possible suspects if hijinks occur, and another it makes it a lot less likely for said hijinks to occur.

17. Cronos988 Junior Engineer

The best solution is probably to remember that this is a game, and the representations of your work and creativity are completely worthless themselves. Eventually you will stop playing, and your base will be found, and everything will be gone. So it's best to accept that everything will be gone anyways, and try to enjoy the game rather than the result.

18. mastpayne Senior Engineer

[​IMG]

19. C_Cross81 Trainee Engineer

Since the price of safeguarding is so costly your best bet is to meet friends, build and enjoy creating stuff knowing that tomorrow when you get on it will be grinded down and reformed into a long cylindrical thing you basically get shoved into your rectum. I've found this game is by far more entertaining when you're playing with other engineers especially if somehow you didn't know this person before you started playing. Working together to make anything is more fulfilling to me then making some replica space ship you'll never actually be able to use and too scared to make on survival due to it's crazy material costs.(I can appreciate the work it took to do these models and think they are very impressive) There are obviously 2 types of gamers here, those who purely enjoying creating space going vessels and those who like to play space engineers the game. The risk actually makes this game a game for me. I'm sure there is someone grinding down my ship to use the materials to make their own as we speak but will get halfway done, get called to come to dinner by their mother, and forget the coordinates to his new 100% stolen ship so it will sit in darkness forever. God bless all space engineers and your never ending quest to create your own and destroy all others. Seems pretty spot on real life actually.

20. havok Apprentice Engineer

i just see griefers as pirates and accept as so, if i am griefed i just think to myself that some ai was out to get me or somthing, i run a public server myself and ive not had a single complaint of griefers since i got rid of the xyz co-ordinates, i also let new players on know that if they are grieffed they will have to accept it as being pirated, small respawn ships help with it a lot aswell

21. cantchoos Trainee Engineer

I go around and grief for fun sometimes and pretend I'm a pirate... anyone who keeps a public server online and no one to protect it is asking for me to sabotage it... (and no i don't ram with the yellow ship that's noob school)

22. Aurenian Apprentice Engineer

Play on a whitelisted server if you want to play with others in relative safety.

23. Forgemasterhd Junior Engineer

Accept the life of the forever alone...

24. KissSh0t Master Engineer

Kill him first.

25. yokse Trainee Engineer

the resource zone is not the best site to create a base..

a waypoints system inside the ships can solve this big problem...(you need capture the ship to know the enemy base position)
    actually is a griefer paradise...(actually you need a beacon or antenna in the base and other in asteroids, and can be viewed for all players..)

my idea:
    http://forums.keenswh.com/post/waypoints-block-7001511?highlight=waypoints&pid=1283630509#post1283630509

sorry for my english..

26. nateterp Trainee Engineer

I'm a fairly well versed griefer. I love that the system allows it. Heres why:
    I am a terrible person. I like destruction, seeing things go BOOM makes me giggle like a schoolgirl with a backstage pass to One Direction doing to Chippendales dance.

I'm fairly resourceful, and I like to see how the game works. What are the pressure points, blindspots, weak areas of a game? Should I attack someone, where will I make my first move? On and on.

This also helps me build defenses. Where can I expect attack? What can I fight off, what can't I? How should I build my ship so its as strong as possible?

But most of all, I get a sense of accomplishment watching someone who made a bad decision have their entire creation crumble because I was one step ahead.

I get a better idea of who is going to be a griefer, and who isn't.

Before people start accusing me, my favorite weapons are momentum and a grinder. I REFUSE to use the spawn ships as crash dummies, that is lame.

Also, some handy tips:

Get in a server that has some space.

Build fast and MOBILE. None of that sissy asteroid base shit. If it stationary, its gonna get rekt. May not be at the first sighting, but all I have to do to destroy your amazing creation is build a simple control panel and turn it into a ship. Physics does the rest.

Don't trust anyone, and if you do trust people, watch your stuff and have a backup spawn with resources somewhere else only set to you.

If you travel, stop and look around every now and then, change direction. Basic stuff to not get caught with your pants down.

Don't ever poop in your own backyard--Translation: don't grief your own server. That breeds hate.

GOOD LUCK IF I FIND YOUUUUUU

27. Cronos988 Junior Engineer

I am serious though, and it's not nihilistic at all. Everything you build on a server will be lost eventually, either by destruction or simply because you or the server stop playing. Even if you were to somehow obtain a save from the server locally to store for all eternity, it would have little more value than a screenshot. Playing games for the result rather than the experience is a bad idea unless the result actually does something for you, which is ususally not the case.

28. mastpayne Senior Engineer

On an empirical level, I can only agree. However, also on an empirical level, isn't that life? That outlook makes me want to find a painting of a Black Bear in a Coal Mine at Midnight, and hang it on the wall; also painted black.

Granted, there is this to prove your point:
    ...after a long missive on how wonderful 'pirating' is, yet what would the above do for anyone? That is griefing at its most base - destruction for the sake of destruction, which doesn't really come across as 'game play' by very many definitions.

Stealing stuff for profit is 'game-play'. Controlling turf is 'game-play'. Being the 'Big Man', is game play. Turning a world into a rubble-pile is typical short term satisfaction, ignoring any kind of over-arching purpose for competition and entertainment (or...dare I say...creation).

It all depends, I guess, on just what you do want to get out of the game.

29. Cronos988 Junior Engineer

I wouldn't call it empirical, since on an empirical level, the result is significant, it just isn't relevant for you as a person. But let's not discuss terms.

I do actually think that this is an issue unique to games, specifically computer games. You see most of the things you do, even though they are not done for any immediate benefit, have a result that cannot be replicated outside doing the exact work you did. Thereby, the work is somehow conserved in the representation. When you play a PC game inside the game's framework, most of your results can be replicated very quickly and easily by someone operating outside of the framework. In SE, the "work" you put into your survival world can easily be replicated by someone in creative mode in a fraction of the time. That seems to diminish the value of the representation.

Note that I do consider the experience of gaming worthwile, just not ususally the result. And even where there is technically value in the result, as in e.g. large projects in creative mode, the result still doesn't usually do anything for you. That isn't a problem, but it's something to be considered.

I agree it isn't gameplay in a strict sense, it is more playing the other players, in this case destroying something for your own emotional gain and their emotional loss. But technically, so are the other actions you describe. You don't actually profit from stealing in a game, and you don't actually gain power from controlling a virtual area. What you have is the experience of beating an enemy and that of power, which after all seems very similar to what a griefer accomplishes for himself.

30. mastpayne Senior Engineer

Games, certainly.

Otherwise, why do you keep batting for the Home Run when down 20 points? To keep the '21 Point Rule' from coming into effect, and forfeiting/terminating the game.

The words 'profit' and 'entertainment' I think are the rub. You are right, there really is no tangible profit to chugging on, enduring the unendurable, other than the continuation of the competition, and the entertainment; neither of which really changes anything "relevant to you as a person", as stated...certainly not in any long term.

I'm like the OP, when things go terrible in a game, I feel it. I hate when 'death' touches my character. I tend to NOT take the pixilated me lightly, and I don't squander my digital bits, in any game.

Is 'power' a factor? Maybe, but for me, it is only to the point that without any power what-so-ever, it usually means 'game over', and the end to the competition/entertainment. Sometimes, the fact I can hold power can also means there is some competition/entertainment for others. That is why I'm in the game in the first place.

None of the above is possible when a griefer, in the sense of the word used as one who joins a world for the sole purpose of breaking things and moving on to the next world, enters into the calculations. That is just lightning that strikes the pitcher on the mound, turning him into vapor. It kinda mucks up the game.

Pirating, on the other hand, is competition...the game.

Does it matter when I walk away to return to my IRL tasks? Not really, other than the brief mood-change, or the eventual drop in adrenalin.

In that sense, you are correct, but it doesn't change the perception that my walls are cheerier with pretty artwork hangin' on 'em.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.