Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

How do you get the GPS position of your character?

Discussion in 'Programming (In-game)' started by pcsagan, Mar 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. pcsagan Trainee Engineer

I've looked at the source code and tried to find working examples, but I just can't seem to get the position of my character. How do you make this code work?

public override void UpdateAfterSimulation()
    {
    if (!MyAPIGateway.Input.IsNewKeyReleased(MyKeys.F8))
    return;

MyAPIGateway.Utilities.ShowNotification(..., 10000, MyFontEnum.White);
    // I've tried 40 different things here like Sandbox.ModAPI.IMyEntity.GetPosition().ToString()
    }

Thanks.

2. Digi Senior Engineer

This sounds like it's for modding, wrong subforum then :p

MyAPIGateway.Session.Player.Character gets the local player's character.
    On DS side that will throw an error because Player is null.

Or MyAPIGateway.Session.ControlledObject to get character/seat/cryo/cockpit/RC/turret/etc they're *controlling* (not necessarily *in*, because you can be in a cockpit and control an RC, in that case this property will return the RC).

3. Mollymawk Trainee Engineer

It does look like a mod question. But just in case you are talking in game scripts (and don't get cross if this is zero help):

In the past, I have used several sensors to detect my location and use that location to point a spot light on two rotors, the light following me around the base.
    very useful for a base in an asteroid cavity.
    I've also tried this using a small chain of hinges with a spotlight on the end. adds a very war of the worlds look to your lighting. I tried this with a gattling gun too but Klang was very unhappy and it would explode for no reason.
    also it would get stuck shooting the same dead spider.

4. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

For in-game scripts within the programmable block, there's no way to detect the players location without some help. Space Pirates and NPCs can located the nearest player without any help: GetNearestPlayer or something like that.

You can detect the location of a player using a sensor block. But that's only if the player is within 50 meters of the sensor. You can also detect if a cockpit or flight seat is occupied then get the location of that block. The only other way I think that's possible is raycasting. But players are really small and the camera raycast would have a difficult time detecting the location of a player at-large. If you can confine the player to a hallway or confined space, maybe it'll work.

5. Wicorel Senior Engineer

Another way to detect an enemy player is with a turret.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.