Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

How long loading times are normal?

Discussion in 'General' started by Hale, Jul 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Hale Trainee Engineer

How long loading times do you get? How long is normal?

When starting a new game on Easy Start Earth i timed the load time to about 2 minutes 40 seconds. Which is not terribly long, considering, but still takes some patience.

Would getting an ssd improve loading times significantly?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. Jikanta Apprentice Engineer

2.66 Quad Core, 8 GB Ram, standard 1TB HD and a humble GTX 950. It's an Inspiron 560 with upgraded CPU and of course the video card.

1-2 minutes load times depending on how many mods I use. Typically 4.
    I've read people saying that their SSD purchase greatly improved the load times.
    Friend of mine had issues with the Steam and Space Engineers being on different drives so I would avoid that.

3. carnivore Apprentice Engineer

Just got 54 seconds for a first load of a new Easy Start Earth. 1TB Samsung 850 EVO. There are probably even better SSDs nowadays, but I remember it making everything on my PC feel really crisp and fast compared to my HDD.

4. Timuroslav Apprentice Engineer

Running a titans graphics card 970 series I think? i7 Cores and terabyte drive. With 4 mods loading my initial preparation to-load screen is about maybe 15 seconds. My actual loading screen is about maybe at max 40 seconds even with Solar system. It also depends on the world size. 1 minute for my server with 6 mods.

It's definitely a lot faster loading than Avorion or in some cases even Minecraft. They've done a lot to optimize this year, definitely faster than three months ago.

sadly they need more bug reports.

Solid State Drive helps a lot IF the game is installed on that drive. Even then performance will bottleneck on your CPU and the amount of RAM you have. I wouldn't run this game with less than 16mb of RAM you can do it with 8 but it's not fun.

Space Engineers is a RAM heavy game.

5. Forcedminer Senior Engineer

tossing a couple of mods into the mix makes it take even longer. :p
    which is expected.. since from what i hear it has to locate 1 mod unpack it..add its stuff to the game then move onto the next mod and so on...or something.
    someone once suggested that the mods are unpacked for good first time to improve load times..it would increase file sizes but since things aren't packed up should make things load slightly faster.

I think the load time for me is around 4-5 minutes.
    i tend to get bored and alt-tab and go do something else while waiting for space engineers to load up.
    then when the game finally loads i'd have to access the inventory and build menu to load their accesses because the game thens to freeze up when loading them first time because it feels like they aren't loaded with the big load.

and it's funny if i click when the game has frozen when accessing the build or inventory menu first time space engineers then tends to freak out believe its crashed and closes itself. so then i have to go through all that again. but oh well its clearly not space engineers in the slightly its entirely all my computer.

6. Thrak Junior Engineer

Unpacked mods generally reduce my load time by between 15 to 25%, depending on a number of factors. Bigger mods packs seem to benefit more from this. The big disadvantage (besides going in and renaming all of the unpacked folders to something sensible) is that the local version of the mods don't update when the modder publishes a new version on Steam. Also, this is for single player... I don't know if the unpacked mods would work for a hosted multiplayer game.

7. ViroMan Senior Engineer

Could always run a script to hash the mods before loading SE and unpack them if they changed.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.