Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

How much cpu processing power do conveyor sorters use?

Discussion in 'General' started by SirConnery, Feb 14, 2020 at 10:20.

1. SirConnery Apprentice Engineer

So I have cargo hold on orbit where I bring some Iron bars from the planet. The problem is, it is kind of unoptimized, since the conveyor sorter loops back into the "main feed", so to say, it loops back into the cargo which loops back to the sorter again. So it keeps shuffling things around constantly.

Is constant conveyor sorter usage a drain on cpu resources? I heard inventory scripts are really bad on this, is this a similar case?

2. Malware Master Engineer

Yes. You shouldn't do that.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. SirConnery Apprentice Engineer

Oh man, now I'll have to redesign the platform a bit. Thanks for letting me know though.

4. Malware Master Engineer

Sorry I couldn't give you different news... :p

5. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

I'm not sure what your design is like. But I'm assuming it's a ship that's using connectors.

The simplest way to use the sorter is to have a dedicated connector for the sorter. If the sorter is on the ship, then just place it after the connector and you're done.

If the sorter is on source (before the outgoing connector), that will work too. Just fill the outbound connector with gravel, stone, or something near worthless so that whatever is pulled out by the sorter bypasses the connector and gets deposited in the ship.

6. SirConnery Apprentice Engineer

Yeah, I kinda botched it. The design was too slim to allow a sorter below a connector and I only realized that it might be a problem later. It's not hard to fix, but very bothersome since I will have to grind about a 100 hard armor blocks on both sides and then place them one higher to allow the sorter to be placed.

I mean it works fine now but anything that saves cpu resources is valuable.

7. Uzul Apprentice Engineer

You can also turn the sorters on & off to make sure they are only active when there is something to sort.

What exactly do you mean with „loop back“ ...

I usually have a design with one main „mixed bus“ and to each filtered group of container one sorter that puts in only the wanted items and a second one that pulls out the inverse group of items (for example all except iron), that way you always have a clean system.

8. Malware Master Engineer

@Uzul He means going in circle, so the sorters always keep pulling stuff.