Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

How to capture a Troop transport with nothing more than a Grinder

Discussion in 'Survival' started by DDP-158, May 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. DDP-158 Master Engineer

Fly out to the transport and position yourself so that you are in it's direct path. Give yourself about 1200 meters clearance. Your objective is to line yourself with the little spacing between the 'front bay door' and the ship.

When you are lined up and within 800 meters, stop. Don't move. Let the ship come to you. If your aim is on you will pass right between the crack and slip into the med bay. But you aren't out of the woods yet because there is an interior gun in the bay.

Once inside ship at the foot of the bay turn off your jetpack and hit the deck right behind the upright catwalk. This will provide your starting cover.

With grinder in hand, grind away at the nearest heavy armor block. You don't need to remove the whole thing, you just need about a dozen or so plates.

With plates in pack, select the light armor block. Angle yourself just enough so that you can see around the corner of the catwalk but not so much that you'll take 20 bullets to the face. Place a armor block on the ground. Now you can move behind it.

Use this action to walk your way up to the cargo container in the main bay. Special Note: The closer to the container you get, the easier it is for the gun to shoot over the block. Making full columns from ceiling to floor will continue to block the guns sight.

Once you get up to container you can access the panel and turn off all guns which are conveniently grouped for your disarming pleasure.

Once the ship is disarmed, use your grinder to punch out the first or second light armor block in the floor right in front of the container. Depending on which one you hit you will either see the thruster or the explosive for the booby trap. Remove those.

Congratulations, you are now the owner of a 99.9% intact troop transport. Patch up the few ground areas and bring your new ship home.

2. Turver Trainee Engineer

Is this the military transport ship? I was just goofing around trying my hardest to capture this ship using my small tug ship attached to a couple layers of heavy armor to distract the guns and go at it haha. Didn't work too well. As long as it's the same ship, which I think it is, I'm going to try this method it sounds interesting. Thanks man I'll report back to you.

3. Turver Trainee Engineer

This is so fricking hard.

4. DDP-158 Master Engineer

The one and only. I've got 2 of them so far. The first was a little trial and error because the explosives weren't in the same place that they used to be and it blew up the entire deck and killed me. I respawned in a starter ship and used that to stop the transport because the transports seat was non functional. While I was fixing that one up using the starter as spare parts, a second transport came in and I found the explosive using the damage from the previous transport to determine where it may be. The funny thing is that on the first ship I had carved up the entire area around the container and never found anything. I was just off by like a block.

Each ship carries something like 80 missiles and simply a ton of ammo. I'm going to start carving down my first transport and begin rearranging the more intact ship to hold other items and connecting everything with conveyors.

5. Turver Trainee Engineer

[​IMG]
    Is this how you're approaching the ship? I always manage to get to the crack, but as soon as I hit it and move the two turrets take me out!

6. DDP-158 Master Engineer

Yep. AS soon as you get in that crack you want to drop thrusters so you hit the deck. The door will block the guns on the outside and the panel will block the inside turret while you grind. I'm off to bed for now but if no one else has been able to replicate it by the time I get home tomorrow I'll jump in and try to get some screenshots for a quick tutorial.

7. Vivicector Apprentice Engineer

C'on, you can grind 1-2 blocks on the top or bottom side (hard to say exactly, was it top or bottom) and get to the cockpit. However, the whole "don't move" idea is quite flawed and is in fact an exploit. The turret logic will be changed in future and that won't work anymore.

There is a spot of weak armour near the reactor from behind. Several good missile shots and the ship is disabled.

Also, you can build a cheap ramboad and pierce your way through, in placed without too much heavy armour.

8. piddlefoot Senior Engineer

Capturing ships is piss easy.
    Capture them with another ship and drive them into a grinder system you can even grind the explosives up with no detonations if you don't push to hard.
    You get everything with the least amount of effort and time. Survivalist see.....
    And its easier to build a cockpit to where ever you land if your just in a suit and turn everything off.
    From there you can do pretty much anything.

9. D4rk4ng31 Junior Engineer

With ur tactik u have to destroy the turrets ... or let them shoot until empty. Cuz they shoot back. U know?

With DDPs tac ull get a FULL intact Ship with FULL ammunition ... and thats the point of this topic.

10. ObiwanJanobus Trainee Engineer

any considerations to just taking enough parts to build a cargo container or a cockpit console and doing the wait in front of the ship sitting still method? might work and be a bit faster

11. ataaron Apprentice Engineer

If you get shot by the heavy turrets then try this

12. DDP-158 Master Engineer

It's worth a shot but keep in mind that as soon as the ship connects with you, you will start moving and that means you are now a target.
    I would try this on the top of the ship. Right down the middle is a gap where they have placed more gyros. There is one gun up there but I think if you're fast enough you can get through the gap and hit the conveyer that the gun sits on so even if it did get a lock it still can't hit you due to proximity.

Only reasons I tried what I tried was because it was a new map and all I had was a handful of steel plates from the crashed red ship. I stuck those in storage before going after the transport.

13. Nip Trainee Engineer

I hijacked this ship fully intact last night.
    Just align yourself within the circle I marked here and bring mats you need to build a cockpit. You'll end up in an angle the sentry gun can't hit you on an angled plate.
    Cut away that angled plate and build the cockpit

Once you have the cockpit, disable all the turrets. Go to the large cargo container in the middle and cut in front/below it to find the warhead. grind the warhead away and the ship is yours - not a shot fired

[​IMG]

14. ObiwanJanobus Trainee Engineer

Nip's response was essentially the idea i had with building some kind of control interface (ie cockpit, cargo container...etc). Good to know it is plausible.

15. Ash87 Senior Engineer

Yeah we got someone who figured this out, now everyone on the server has a military transport, and all the ammo stored therein.

I cant' wait until proper faction recognition is a thing.

16. piddlefoot Senior Engineer

No u don't u park in-front of the ship like suggested and stay under 3m/s easy as.....Magnetically lock it and........

17. DDP-158 Master Engineer

Pssh, you still need to use a ship. What kind of survivalist are you?

18. Crewman87 Apprentice Engineer

I would like to add that instead of going inside, if you are agile enough to get close to one of the turrets on the front, and out of their view (the one close to you wont be able to aim down at you if you are positioned properly, the one on the other side to be blocked by the turret you are next to) you can enter the control panel on the turret directly and disarm them from there, this will save you the pain of dealing with the interior turret. This can be a bit tricky to master but once you have done it enough it makes capturing this awesome ship easy as pie. :D

19. Lechai Trainee Engineer

tried this last night, worked a treat... the 2nd time :p

20. mattryan72 Apprentice Engineer

Would it not be better to take the resource to build a cockpit with you, then you could disable the turrets anywhere you land?

Great guide, I need to try this approach out :)

Matt

21. Lechai Trainee Engineer

you don't even need a cockpit, just anything that has an access panel on it.
    Not sure what the cheapest is? small cargo maybe?

22. piddlefoot Senior Engineer

Oh since you asked for it, a smarter one than you ! hahaha

23. DDP-158 Master Engineer

For me, I had just started a game. I started the crashed red ship map and only had a handful of plates in my pack when the troop transport showed up. I stowed those plates away because I didn't want to lose them should I get killed.

Basically I had no supplies for the chair.

That's even funnier considering that I used on the spot thinking. You and Vivi are still attached to the caveman brute force line of thinking. You so Jelly.

24. Typo91 Trainee Engineer

Here is the SUPER easy way... which is way better then yours
    All you need is a welder, and any other tool.

Line yourself up just like the OP says, get in the front door... Jet pack off, and get behind the catwalk...
    Now the easier part... Just inch up and toss out a tool in view of the turret... the gravity will pull it to the ground it it will be a vaild target for the gun, now just get your welder out, and weld the block under the item while the turret is trying to shoot it, (this is to prevent it front making a hole in the armor and messing it up)

in a few seconds it will run out of ammo... then just waltz over to the large cargo pod under the now empty turret access the terminal and shut down all the defense guns...
    And in the current version of the date posting this, you happen to be standing above the only booby trap, so grind at your feet and disable it.
    Enjoy your new ship!

25. DDP-158 Master Engineer

I like it. May have to try that one.

26. D4rk4ng31 Junior Engineer

All methods are too complicated or u dont get the ship with all of its ammunition ... want to know the real way?

Three simple steps. Possible even for the dumb ones (I have to know it ... self-tested :cool:)

[​IMG] Aim for one of the sides

[​IMG] Grind the inner plate.

[​IMG] Use the Panel to deactivate turrets and thruster.

Ready. Captured. Full ammunition, no damage (yah, i know ... one plate, blaaah), no risk. Questions? No? Have fun :)

27. PeterHammerman Junior Engineer

Piece of cake :) This is Polish real heroic tactics - assault with knife on tank :D

28. Raisu Trainee Engineer

You don't even need the grinder... that black painted heavy armor panel that covers up the opening to the main area of the Transport, get on that and turn around towards the control panel for the turret and you can turn off everything from there without grinding anything.

29. D4rk4ng31 Junior Engineer

Screens? :) Hard to get the position just with a description :(

30. Merinsan Apprentice Engineer

This is how I do it. I don't know why everyone else does it the hard way. The military transporter and mining hauler are so easy to capture this way. So far I think I've caught 3 Military Transporters and 2 Mining Haulers using this approach.

The Mining carriage is even easier, because you can work out which side the gun is on and approach the opposite side, then disable it.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.