Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

How to connect the ends of two rotors into one grid

Discussion in 'General' started by TenshouYoku, Jun 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. TenshouYoku Apprentice Engineer

Title.

I've seen dudes combining two ends of two separate rotors and have their ends connected to the same sub-grid.
    Not sure how that is done, so may any experienced engineers enlighten me about it? Thank you.

2. Dax23333 Junior Engineer

You build your joint with the two rotors aligned so they can join, but grind away/remove one of the rotor heads. You can then put a new rotor head (the block is available in the G menu) in, attached to the subgrid so it intersects the rotor that your removed the head from. You then go into the rotors terminal and click attach rotor head.

You will then end up with two rotors supporting one sub grid, making a more sturdy joint.

Same works with advanced rotors, but not with pistons unfortunatly. Gotta do merge block trickery to get pistons to do this.

3. TenshouYoku Apprentice Engineer

Thank you very much!

4. Sinbad Senior Engineer

@TenshouYoku make sure that when you do this you adjust the offset of both rotors to 7mm or so. otherwise they produce some strange phantom forces that can flip your build over for no reason.

5. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

Even so, if the rotors are even slightly out-of-sync with each other they will explode (in my experience). Thus, although my engineering brain says to use multiple rotors for strength, torque, and stability, I find that using only a single rotor assures the sub-grid will be stable. Until rotors are fixed to recognize the presence of each other (although this is probably nearly impossible unless rotors are defined with a single primary rotor and one or more secondary rotors whose properties are defined by the primary) and allow for misalignments and out-of-sync conditions, I’ll stick with weird looking single-rotor designs.

• Agree Agree x 4
  6. May Rears Apprentice Engineer

Lord Clang is touching himself at your comment :D

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  7. Stardriver907 Master Engineer

I might point out that this can be simpler with digi's conveyor hinges since they have no adjustment to offset and, therefore, every hinge produced has the same offset, which is zero.

Besides, if it's a door you are making, shouldn't it have hinges?

Unless it's a revolving door, in which case, nevermind.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

But, in fact, there was no “might” as about it. You did indeed point it out.

9. Stardriver907 Master Engineer

Just sayin, is all

I really like that mod. Have to say using it wont solve the fundamental problem of attaching two rotors to one grid. The rotor part is not "really" attached to the motor part. If you have a door or ramp on your ship and you make a violent maneuver, each rotor has its own "idea" of which way it's going to come apart and the poor door/ramp just wants to stay where it is. Weird stuff happens. "Phantom Force" or whatever.

Depending on what it's made out of, one hinge can handle a pretty good sized door/ramp. If the door/ramp gets unruly, divide it into manageable sections and put a hinge on each section, then configure a control to make them work as one. This give you a more versatile door/ramp.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. GrindyGears Senior Engineer

I really should make a YouTube series of how build with clang...

Short of doing that, the easiest way imo is to utilize the attach features of rotors, this text description may get a little wordy, and might not make a lot of sense without pictures, but I'll still try. (the following is applicable to small grids only, haven't tried on large recently)

Start by placing a central block.

Place two opposing rotors, one on each side

Remove the head off one of the rotors

Make a C shape that's 3x5 from the rotor head that you didn't remove so it looks like it could be a 2 rotor hinge

Place rotor top part where it should technically be on the C shape grid. (marvel in the glory that is no build hit box)

Click attach rotor, and cry because the whole thing starts to spin

Fear not, easy fix: set both rotors to 8mm (0.008m) this will stop the rotation.

You can set the 8mm prior before removing the head so it doesn't spin at all, but as a rule of thumb I'd always advise building grids attached to some form of stationary object

11. May Rears Apprentice Engineer

Those conveyor hinges are great. They were stable back when rotors and pistons were just fancy IEDs you attached to your ship. Two of them in a row with one at 90 degrees to the other makes a perfect towing hitch for tractor unit-trailer combinations.

12. Stardriver907 Master Engineer

Have you ever tried attaching two hinge heads together with one head rotated 90 degrees? "Tractor" and "trailer" use appropriately aligned hinge motor. Attach and detach head from either motor part. Hard part is getting "up" orientation correct for each part. If you try to attach hinge head opposite way it will attempt to flip itself around, and take the grid it's attached to with it. Funny the first time it happens, but it gets old quick :D

13. boromir Apprentice Engineer

Can you post pics of this, please?

14. Stardriver907 Master Engineer

Unfortunately I don't currently have access to a suitable pc. I know I made one but I know I never made a screenshot of it. If I was streaming there might be video but finding it would be the proverbial search for the needle in the haystack.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.