Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

How to get Camera Sight Accuracy with rail guns? Drift Downward?

Discussion in 'General' started by Weyun, Feb 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Weyun Trainee Engineer

Newbie here.
    Moving on From basic Missiles to gravity rail guns.
    My design uses a replaceable revolving replaceable shell cartridge.
    first I made a rail gun ship.
    Now I'm on to making a turret.

Now here is the problem.
    Made the turret. Had a camera to act as a sight placed on a pivot so that I could place it directly in
    front of the shell. You now line of sight targeting.
    But weirdly the shell lands below the camera target indicator.
    It seemed to drift downward.

First I thought it was a turret rotor friction issue. used the lock to adjust for that,
    Results were the same.
    Next, I thought the sight pivoting action performed by the rotor may be shaking the gun.
    Adjusted but same.
    Next, I thought it may be the placement of the artificial mass block that is making the shell drift in flight.
    Adjusted but same.
    Now I'm at the camera sight.
    At zoom, camera sight seems to be vertically off. It is pointing higher than where the shells are landing.
    So, I placed the camera 3 large blocks above where the actual shell.
    The results are better.
    It is weird since the higher placed camera is looking lower than the lower placed camera.
    Inverted.

Am I the only one with this issue?

Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
  2. oleando Apprentice Engineer

Post blueprint i'll solve your problem if possible and report what caused it.

3. Dragonspride Apprentice Engineer

Sounds like the inertia from the merge block is throwing you off. I had the same problem.

4. Weyun Trainee Engineer

I'm using a grinder setup.
    Chose it because of the merge block issue.
    Seems like the Shell is actually flying straight.
    Just the camera sighting is off/buggy

5. sammyvoncheese Apprentice Engineer

I noticed the same issue, with raycasting from a camera. If you turn on debug draw, look through a camera and trigger a raycast from it at the target your looking at, you will notice that the raycast is hitting a few meters below the reticle.

6. SilentShadow Apprentice Engineer

This will sound stupid. Try to place your camera inline with your flight seat. The cross hair offsets based on the camera vs the control seat/flight seat. As to how much I can't quantify.

As an experiment setup a grid with a large frontal area with multiple forward facing cameras. Note that the cross hair shifts when you switch cams almost like it reflects an offset between the seat and the cam.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Weyun Trainee Engineer

Interesting

8. Dax23333 Junior Engineer

Having had this before, if I remember correctly it does appear that it is because the recticule isn't in the middle, rather it is positioned at a point in space some way in front of whatever cockpit you are sitting in.

However I have also had custom missile launchers using merge blocks not fire dead straight either, so it is probably a combination of the two issues. Might be able to arrange them to cancel out but this would be dependent on range to target and only really work at one range.

9. Bullet_Force Apprentice Engineer

There is also a problem with using merge blocks for missile separation in which the missile scrapes against the merge block sending it slightly off course. This game really needs a proper "hard point" block that would allow you to shoot off missile that would have no friction/collision with the thing that was holding them.

10. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

Your crosshairs are drawn from the point of your control: flight seat, remote control block, to the camera you're looking out of. If they aren't aligned vertically and horizontally, then the crosshairs will be off. Place a remote block directly behind the camera and access the remote in order to aim.

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. Weyun Trainee Engineer

Placed a remote in the right place.
    Than controlled the remote from seat to access the camera but seems to not be able to move the ship. Think you can't do that? right?

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
  12. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

You can fly with a remote. Just be sure not to set any other cockpit/remote to "main"

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.