Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

How to name your ship?

Discussion in 'General' started by SwissAgent, Mar 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. SwissAgent Trainee Engineer

I'm not talking about calling it just "large cargo ship" but more like... and there is my problem. How do you call your ships? And what would be the dumbest name that you could find?

2. Azi Dahaka Apprentice Engineer

What do you mean? As in, what types of names do we give our ships? Or how to actually name them? I can answer both.

3. plaYer2k Master Engineer

Yeah its hard to answer that question .. as for how to technically name them, you place a beacon and customize it through the control tab ... as for the "dumbest name" ... i would say some random special character spam like ³"§$=²³³²"§=)ßä :D

Edit:
    How about ... Karl Wamperich von Schmutzbergingen

Edit2:
    Hanzberg Mc Plautzerich
    Wulliwuffberg
    Tina Krawumms
    Deep Space Driller

4. Skeloton Master Engineer

I randomly name mine. anything from SI-00/0 Shuttle and SI-21/0 SIMC(Shivan Industries Mining Carrier) to the SI-31/1 Ravana and SI-30/9 Pangolin

5. ElectronicFunk Trainee Engineer

If you're asking how to name a ship, just simply place a beacon and rename the beacon. (Get into a ship by hitting "T" then hit "K" and you'll have access to the functions/parts of your ship.)

As far as coming up with names, I have a comic I'm working on and I pluck names form that list. Cities and last names of friends/family for the protagonists navy and codenames for Intel Processors (hence: Gallatin) for the antagonists vessels.

**Which means that, canon, Gallatin wouldn't actually be set as she is for the competition as every other ship there are ships of the Protagonists. Heh.

6. Gentry Senior Engineer

my merchant raider is called

The Legitimate Nigerian Businessman

7. ElectronicFunk Trainee Engineer

Shouldn't it be Legitimate Nigerian Financially Philanthropic Prince ? since they're always looking to give away some fortune for a small donate of your own.

8. iron_dinges Apprentice Engineer

My generic ship would be an Iron Dinges.
    My battleships is the Battle Dinges.

9. bacondeity Apprentice Engineer

I give my ships a serial number and then think of a neato name to give my space boats, I'm usually really creative with them.

10. DarkGhost Junior Engineer

http://www.behindthename.com/random/

For lazy people. :3

11. Stonewolf Junior Engineer

Yea beacon is good. As for how I name my ships. I usually go with short initials in the beginning to explain intended use: Cargo Loader = CL and then come up with a name for the individual ship. Sometimes it just comes to me by looking at the ship, Sometimes I use google translator to find latin names for other word and go from there. Because I always liked scientific names of things.

Dumbest names I could find or anyone :sneaky:

https://www.google.com/#q=Dumbest+names

For me there are no dumb names, even 'CH toiletpaper' sounds good. Maybe this cargo hauler got its name moving toiletpaper to dangerous warzones. If your not sure of a name, make a story for it. :cool:

12. damoran Junior Engineer

I like to have a theme that carries over for both class names and then the ships within that class.

I start by thinking about the ships purpose.

For example, for carriers, I think of them as large command ships that lead the fleet and always act as a place to regroup and figure out your next move. Sort of like a town hall or the leader of a community.

I think of current names for community leaders...(type it into a thesaurus website if you need to) and you'll get some cool class names:

Governor class
    Senator class
    President class
    Chief class
    Shaman class

Then when naming the ships of that class just go to historical figures or movies.

There are several famous governors in america that either became president or ran for president:

Thomas Jefferson
    Bill Clinton
    George Bush
    Ronald Regan
    John Hancock

So then your ships can follow that: U.S.S Hancock, U.S.S. Jefferson, U.S.S Clinton...etc.

It's really easy to do with just about anything.

Take something like a recon corvette right...

They are fast, lightly armored can strike from a distance and get away fast. First thing that comes to mind is an archer...

There's your class name: Archer Class

Who is a famous archer from history or the movies? ...Robin Hood?

Bam! - USS Hood

Simple as that.

If you don't care for classes and just want a cool name like...I dunno "Excelsior" or something...then I find it helpful to look at music albums and their song names...

I'm a heavy metal fan myself and here are just a few cool sounding names from my library:

Black Sunshine
    Exile
    Equinox
    Horn of Betrayal
    Imperium
    Nightfall
    Omerta
    Amarth
    Red Nova
    Chimaira
    Sirius
    Winds of Plague
    Stargazer
    Thundergun
    Exciser
    Icarus

Anyways, hope that helps.

13. Rizzitoni Apprentice Engineer

I do something similar to stonewolf. Lately I've been in the habit of attaching 2 beacons to ships. One with the identification number and another spaced further away with my desired name. Although, I've recently also been playing with small blocks to name larger ships and that works better than I expected.

I've seen a couple strange ship names on YoutTube and the Workshop.

14. plaYer2k Master Engineer

15. Vermillion Senior Engineer

Acronyms are the way to go, followed by "serious" word or a job, tool, weapon or a feature of the ship. (Mason, Durandal, longarm, etc)

Like my carrier: ARGOS FAEC-200-001A - Argos Exile
    Argos = the series.
    FAEC = Forge Aerospace Elite Carrier
    Exile = It somehow ended up resembling the Ades Flagship from Last Exile 2.
    200-001A = Just semi-random numbers that match the rest of the Argos series. The unit 000 was scrapped, which is why it's 001A.

16. Andarne Apprentice Engineer

17. Azi Dahaka Apprentice Engineer

Think about who made it. Think about the ship's aesthetics. Think about its purpose.

I made a large carrier for my ships. First thing that came to mind was the first aircraft carrier, the Argus. Done. I have a character in my sci-fi setting named Dante. Her ships are named after the circles of Hell (according to her namesake). My cargo vessel was named the Lusitania.

Make it sound good, make it original, and make it mean something.

18. Volthorne Apprentice Engineer

I wouldn't bother coming up with individual ship names unless you're really attached to them. Just come up with a class and maybe numeric designator for the time being.

19. bacondeity Apprentice Engineer

I don't make many ships, so I pretty much name them all.

20. SwissAgent Trainee Engineer

Well i called one of my ship "Cave Johnson's lemon powered spaceship".

21. Bad_Idea Apprentice Engineer

I usually name ships after cities. For example, non-capital ships get the names of non-capital cities like Gothenburg. Capital ships, however, get the names of capital cities like Berlin.
    As an example i have the Gothenburg class Frigate and the Berlin class Assault cruiser.

The stupidest name i've had on a ship was HMS Apple, it didn't last for long...

22. Igneous01 Apprentice Engineer

The US uses a standard of designation for their missile/rockets. Here is a sample of the chart:

<table style="font-size: 13px; margin: 1em 0px; background-color: #f9f9f9; border: 1px solid #aaaaaa; border-collapse: collapse; color: #000000; font-family: sans-serif; line-height: 19.200000762939453px;" class="wikitable"><tbody><tr style="background-color: silver; background-position: initial initial; background-repeat: initial initial;"><td style="border: 1px solid #aaaaaa; padding: 0.2em;">Status Prefix</td><td style="border: 1px solid #aaaaaa; padding: 0.2em;">Launch Environment</td><td style="border: 1px solid #aaaaaa; padding: 0.2em;">Basic Mission</td><td style="border: 1px solid #aaaaaa; padding: 0.2em;">Vehicle Type</td></tr><tr><td style="border: 1px solid #aaaaaa; padding: 0.2em;">C - Captive</td><td style="border: 1px solid #aaaaaa; padding: 0.2em;">A - Air</td><td style="border: 1px solid #aaaaaa; padding: 0.2em;">C - Transport</td><td style="border: 1px solid #aaaaaa; padding: 0.2em;">B - Booster</td></tr><tr><td style="border: 1px solid #aaaaaa; padding: 0.2em;">D - Dummy</td><td style="border: 1px solid #aaaaaa; padding: 0.2em;">B - Multiple</td><td style="border: 1px solid #aaaaaa; padding: 0.2em;">D - Decoy</td><td style="border: 1px solid #aaaaaa; padding: 0.2em;">M - Guided Missile</td></tr><tr><td style="border: 1px solid #aaaaaa; padding: 0.2em;">J - Special Test (temporary)</td><td style="border: 1px solid #aaaaaa; padding: 0.2em;">C - Coffin</td><td style="border: 1px solid #aaaaaa; padding: 0.2em;">E - Electronic / Communications</td><td style="border: 1px solid #aaaaaa; padding: 0.2em;">N - Probe</td></tr><tr><td style="border: 1px solid #aaaaaa; padding: 0.2em;">M - Maintenance</td><td style="border: 1px solid #aaaaaa; padding: 0.2em;">F - Man-Portable</td><td style="border: 1px solid #aaaaaa; padding: 0.2em;">G - Surface Attack</td><td style="border: 1px solid #aaaaaa; padding: 0.2em;">R - Rocket</td></tr><tr><td style="border: 1px solid #aaaaaa; padding: 0.2em;">N - Special Test (Permanent)</td><td style="border: 1px solid #aaaaaa; padding: 0.2em;">G - Surface</td><td style="border: 1px solid #aaaaaa; padding: 0.2em;">I - Aerial/Space Intercept</td><td style="border: 1px solid #aaaaaa; padding: 0.2em;">S - Satellite</td></tr><tr><td style="border: 1px solid #aaaaaa; padding: 0.2em;">X - Experimental</td><td style="border: 1px solid #aaaaaa; padding: 0.2em;">H - Stored and Launched from concrete silo</td><td style="border: 1px solid #aaaaaa; padding: 0.2em;">L - Launch Detection / Surveillance</td><td style="border: 1px solid #aaaaaa; padding: 0.2em;"> </td></tr><tr><td style="border: 1px solid #aaaaaa; padding: 0.2em;">Y - Prototype</td><td style="border: 1px solid #aaaaaa; padding: 0.2em;">L - Silo Stored, Raised via elevator for Launch</td><td style="border: 1px solid #aaaaaa; padding: 0.2em;">M - Scientific / Calibration</td><td style="border: 1px solid #aaaaaa; padding: 0.2em;"> </td></tr><tr><td style="border: 1px solid #aaaaaa; padding: 0.2em;">Z - Planning</td><td style="border: 1px solid #aaaaaa; padding: 0.2em;">N - Navigation</td><td style="border: 1px solid #aaaaaa; padding: 0.2em;"> </td></tr><tr><td style="border: 1px solid #aaaaaa; padding: 0.2em;"> </td><td style="border: 1px solid #aaaaaa; padding: 0.2em;">P - Soft Pad</td><td style="border: 1px solid #aaaaaa; padding: 0.2em;">Q - Drone</td><td style="border: 1px solid #aaaaaa; padding: 0.2em;"> </td></tr><tr><td style="border: 1px solid #aaaaaa; padding: 0.2em;"> </td><td style="border: 1px solid #aaaaaa; padding: 0.2em;">R - Ship</td><td style="border: 1px solid #aaaaaa; padding: 0.2em;">S - Space Support</td><td style="border: 1px solid #aaaaaa; padding: 0.2em;"> </td></tr><tr><td style="border: 1px solid #aaaaaa; padding: 0.2em;"> </td><td style="border: 1px solid #aaaaaa; padding: 0.2em;">U - Underwater</td><td style="border: 1px solid #aaaaaa; padding: 0.2em;">T - Training</td><td style="border: 1px solid #aaaaaa; padding: 0.2em;"> </td></tr><tr><td style="border: 1px solid #aaaaaa; padding: 0.2em;"> </td><td style="border: 1px solid #aaaaaa; padding: 0.2em;"> </td><td style="border: 1px solid #aaaaaa; padding: 0.2em;">U - Underwater Attack</td><td style="border: 1px solid #aaaaaa; padding: 0.2em;"> </td></tr><tr><td style="border: 1px solid #aaaaaa; padding: 0.2em;"> </td><td style="border: 1px solid #aaaaaa; padding: 0.2em;"> </td><td style="border: 1px solid #aaaaaa; padding: 0.2em;">W - Weather</td><td style="border: 1px solid #aaaaaa; padding: 0.2em;"> </td></tr></tbody></table>
    <sup style="line-height: 1em; unicode-bidi: -webkit-isolate;" id="cite_ref-DoD4120_10-1" class="reference"></sup>
    <table style="font-size: 13px; margin: 1em 0px; background-color: #f9f9f9; border: 1px solid #aaaaaa; border-collapse: collapse; color: #000000; font-family: sans-serif; line-height: 19.200000762939453px;" class="wikitable"><tbody><tr><td style="border: 1px solid #aaaaaa; padding: 0.2em; background-color: silver; background-position: initial initial; background-repeat: initial initial;">Launch Environment</td><td style="border: 1px solid #aaaaaa; padding: 0.2em;">Multiple</td><td style="border: 1px solid #aaaaaa; padding: 0.2em;">- B</td></tr><tr><td style="border: 1px solid #aaaaaa; padding: 0.2em; background-color: silver; background-position: initial initial; background-repeat: initial initial;">Basic Mission</td><td style="border: 1px solid #aaaaaa; padding: 0.2em;">Surface Attack</td><td style="border: 1px solid #aaaaaa; padding: 0.2em;">- G</td></tr><tr><td style="border: 1px solid #aaaaaa; padding: 0.2em; background-color: silver; background-position: initial initial; background-repeat: initial initial;">Vehicle Type</td><td style="border: 1px solid #aaaaaa; padding: 0.2em;">Guided Missile</td><td style="border: 1px solid #aaaaaa; padding: 0.2em;">- M</td></tr><tr><td style="border: 1px solid #aaaaaa; padding: 0.2em; background-color: silver; background-position: initial initial; background-repeat: initial initial;">Design Number</td><td style="border: 1px solid #aaaaaa; padding: 0.2em;">109th Missile Design</td><td style="border: 1px solid #aaaaaa; padding: 0.2em;">- 109</td></tr><tr><td style="border: 1px solid #aaaaaa; padding: 0.2em; background-color: silver; background-position: initial initial; background-repeat: initial initial;">Series</td><td style="border: 1px solid #aaaaaa; padding: 0.2em;">7th Version of the Design</td><td style="border: 1px solid #aaaaaa; padding: 0.2em;">- G

</td></tr></tbody></table>

For example, the Stinger missile (FIM-92) is read as Man-Portable Aerial/Space Intercept Guided Missile 92th design.

Its an interesting way of cataloguing their weapons, but you could make a similar chart for naming ships as well.

23. TheLightLOD Trainee Engineer

My system is as follows..

Step 1:
    open up a dictinary on random pages, and make a list with the words you like and have a somewhat useable definition.

Step 2:
    build a ship.

Step 3:
    pick a random word from the list that somewhat fits the ship.

Step 4:
    pick a random pair of charachters and place that after a space of the word from Step 3.

Step 5:
    pick a random number that sounds good with the two characters and place it after the charachters.

Step 6:
    done, you now have a ship with a name.

24. DemonFiren Apprentice Engineer

Since I focus on rebuilds I give my ships their original designation.

25. Wombats Junior Engineer

What is this pangolin ship I want access to this immediately :love:

26. Skeloton Master Engineer

http://forums.keenswh.com/post/show_single_post?pid=1281798772&postcount=5

If your rig can handle them i have most of my older ships in compilation workshop files.

Small Ships http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=213652529

Small large ships http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=214199950

Large large ships http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=213651625

27. Carrion Senior Engineer

seriously how much needs to be said over

Pick a name you like.

maybe make some convoluted pointless backstory/ "corp" story as fluff.

28. Conradian Moderator

My ship names are interesting.

Firstly I have the hull classification. Anything from gunboats to destroyers to battleships up to dreadnoughts depending on mass of the ship.

Then I have the class name. Reworking my earlier ships, but my dreadnought is a Behemoth-Class.

Next I need the pennant number. Works off the purpose of the ship and the number it is. E.g. The Behemoth Class is I01 (I for dreadnoughts and other capital ships, 01 because it's the first)

For appropriate vessels (Usually smaller craft) I have the manufacturer assigned designation. My two shuttles are LE-14 (Larson Engineering 'Starbird' Light Assault Shuttle) and RB-47A (RedmondBishop Multipurpose Spacecraft, Shuttle Variant)

Now the ship name. I name them for what feels right. My military ships are all attached to my six Khaordum fleets, and so carry a ship prefix. All ships are named as feels appropriate. My dreadnought is a massive lumbering beast, the 14-gun powerhouse of the Alterran fleet, and so is called the AFS Behemoth.

This means that I get interesting long names for ships.

Taking the Behemoth as an example, I get the full name as the Behemoth-Class Dreadnought AFS Behemoth [I01]

My silliest name though is for my small one-man light cargo freighter craft operated by the Alterran Fleet Auxillary. One particular vessel (The silliest) is called the Mule-Class Freight Shuttle AFA Rubber Duck [A02] (And if anyone gets why it's called Rubber Duck I will give them an internet high-five)

29. BlankWarningsign Apprentice Engineer

[​IMG]
    This is my favorite vehicle I have ever made!

They are so small and cute =^_^= I'm going to build a Ludicrous Amount of them and gift them to people on servers. And if they don't want an Ahpe' I'll sneak them in and hide them in random nooks and crannys

I named it after the Piaggio Ape

"An Ahpe' In Every Home! An Ahpe' For Every Player! An Ahpe' In EVERY ENGINE ROOM!"

30. Ash87 Senior Engineer

I don't really assign a name to a ship, until it reaches a point, where that I have used it repeatedly and feel it deserves to be named. The only one I have named (Because I think I've made about 10 copies of it for people, and for myself at this point... to the point I can just about make one with my eyes closed) is my mid-range cargo container ship which I call my Vulcan class Utility ship.

It has a drill, an ore detector, 4 medium storage containers, and landing gear. I'm probably going to modify it when conveyors come out, so until then I wont be assigning a final name to it.

I also have the Tortoise transport, which is a shuttle craft I made, which is good for surveying and getting people from point a to point b intact (It's a heavy armored ship on a server where guns are scarce, it's as close to untouchable as one can get.

Variants get a Mark I, II, III designation, or a -m designation if they are custom. Like now I am working on the Vulcan Utility ship Mark III. Actual names for the ships, I leave up to the people who take control of the ships. Funnily enough, I have found little need for fighter craft so far, and have stuck to making utility ships, those have much greater use, and sell much better.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.