Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

how to remove full blocks

Discussion in 'General' started by MichaelC, Mar 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. MichaelC Junior Engineer

So i discovered an issue with building and deconstructing. I built some scaffolding to build a tower in survival but after i got the tower built it came time to take the scaffolding down. now the only tool i had was the hammer. and it just broke it into pieces, leaving small pieces still hanging on the walls.

now i was thinking boy wouldn't it be nice to have a tool that could remove entire blocks at a time. But that would be OP. you could disassemble an entire castle wall. so i ran into a stumbling block. How can we remove entire blocks cleanly BUT not have a tool that is OP enough to be used over say siege equip. It would be stupid if the most effective way to take down a wall is with walking up to the wall with a tool and demolishing it.

On a side note i also destroyed that same tower with only the hammer and it took a satisfying amount of time about 30 min to break down the tower enough to collapse. that's about right for only using a hammer.

So any ideas?

2. Ghostickles Senior Engineer

A Saw?

Other than Siege equipment this is exactly how you take most things apart.
    Walk up with some tools and demolish it.
    Wrecking balls are probably faster.

3. Grendel Apprentice Engineer

Yeah we'll need a "disassembly" tools similar to SE's Grinder for the full Survival mode

4. Ubiqanon Trainee Engineer

Heavy scaffolding (the kind you would use to build castles due to the weight involved) in the Medieval period was built using augers & wooden pins rather than nails. The auger holes and their pins were fairly large. It is speculated that the were large enough that they could be cross pinned, allowing you to twist the main pin and wriggle it free. In addition, the auger holes would be drilled completely through the beams, such that you could take a simple metal rod and hammer & pound out any wooden pins from the reverse side to free up the join. It is further speculated that joins were reinforced using sinew wraps (wetted & then heat shrunk by the sun for additional join strength). These could be cut away with a sharp knife.

The higher the wall, the more likely that the scaffolding would actually be supported by the lower portion of the wall itself, using pultogs, (logs or beams placed on top of, and then covered by, the wall as it was built up). The protruding ends of the putlogs would form the support for the scaffold. At tear-down, if the putlogs could not be hammered out of the wall you could simply cut off the ends making the log flush with the wall, or you could burn the log out, (risky as it might crack the surrounding stone) at least enough to allow for stone to cover up the log.

So with that in mind, you would need a wooden mallet and metal bar (pin removal), knife (sinew / rope removal), and saw (putlog removal).

Personally, I am not sure I like the idea of being able to destroy a tower in 30 mins or less with a hammer alone. At least not with one guy. Maybe 20-30 guys, but its just silly otherwise. For now thats obviously impractical, but if all I need to take out a castle is a few guys with hammers, then whats the point of building a castle? (Perhaps more importantly, whats the point of building siege engines...) Typically when you build a castle, you don't put stone down unless you are damn sure that's where you want it to go. Deconstruction actually takes longer (and is just as expensive) as construction. So given that, if you want 'survivor' mode to be semi realistic, I think that removal of blocks should actually take longer that it does to build them (consistent with reality but not exactly matching reality).

What was the footprint size of your tower? 2x2, 3x3? Did you use solid cubes for walls or those ridiculously thin 'walls'?

5. MichaelC Junior Engineer

i think i just thought of how it can be done easily and quickly without being OP.... when they implement fire you could simply BURN the scaffolding down. as long as it bunt cleanly not leaving any annoying nubs i think i could be happy.

btw the test tower i made was 5x5 with a hollow center 1 layer thick walls and using the solid blocks

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2015
  6. Ghostickles Senior Engineer

lmao, +1 ;)

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.