Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

[HS] Hyperion Systems - Next Generation Ships - Wildcat MLRS Corvette Available Now!

Discussion in 'Community Creations' started by iN5URG3NT, May 3, 2015.

?

What Ship Class should I concentrate on next? (See post on page 3 for details)

1. UFAC

1 vote(s)
    1.3%
  2. FAC (Includes Refits)

1 vote(s)
    1.3%
  3. Corvettes (Includes Refits)

10 vote(s)
    12.8%
  4. Frigates

5 vote(s)
    6.4%
  5. Destroyers

12 vote(s)
    15.4%
  6. Ships of the Line

8 vote(s)
    10.3%
  7. Carriers

25 vote(s)
    32.1%
  8. Stations

17 vote(s)
    21.8%
  9. More small ships please. Large grid is expensive!

12 vote(s)
    15.4%
  10. No more warships! Build more Standard Interplanetary Mining stuff!

11 vote(s)
    14.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. lowrads Trainee Engineer

For larger vanilla weapon systems, you could try co-pilot guided missiles. Even large block versions can be moderately compact so long as you utilize ions, or an ice gen instead of a tank. The downside is that you need a battery for either.

My current cheap dumbfire missile looks like H-thruster:O2 Gen:Merge Block:Battery:Warhead:Timer:Nose Tip and is clad in catwalk blocks except near and behind the mergeblock.
    The thruster is set to over-ride. The timer turns on the battery, disables the merge block, and turns on the oxygen generator in that order. It's cheap dead weight after that. Any ice that isn't consumed during flight is just part of the projectile. A 2x1 profile version can sport an antenna and a remote control.

Then again, if the vessel is very large, missiles with large cross sections or co-piloted drones might not seem like an aesthetic deviation.

2. tankmayvin Senior Engineer

Using large grid ions on a PMW is and economically losing proposition IMO. Unless it's a dreadnought killing superweapon, etc.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. mhalpern Senior Engineer

Haven't commented on the forum for a long time but yeah platinum is one of the most valuable matterials in the game, now that we have alternatives, it needs to be kept out of PMWs. size isn't much of an issue, not with projectors.

As for jump drives on Hydro-ships, depends on the role, if the purpose is to be inexpensive but effective, then no,

4. iN5URG3NT Senior Engineer

@lowrads It's ok, I know how to build a PMW. The Python on the last page has large grid guided missiles. :D And because of what @tankmayvin and @mhalpern said, they run on Hydrogen. This is far cheaper than the Grav or Ion alternatives and because it is guided, you might actually hit something. Still requires ECM cover though...

I think the legendary code wizard @Whiplash141 may have an answer to my Cruiser problem. It involves throttling max speed to 90m/s so rotors never lock. Not a perfect solution, but does solve the problem until Keen sort the bug. Does anyone think a reduced top speed matters on a Cruiser sized ship? It would have Jump Drives, lots of firepower and decent armour.

5. mhalpern Senior Engineer

Well cruisers would rarely get to 90m/s anyways..

Edit
    Could sport a large turret or two using Entersprite's Rotor Based Spring Action system..

Last edited: Jun 14, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Krougal Senior Engineer

Well what choice do any of us have right now? Leave rotors off or don't exceed safe speed. We're all operating under the same constraints so I don't think your cruiser would be anymore handicapped than anyone elses.

7. tankmayvin Senior Engineer

For the firepower output of small grid based rotor turrets I'd gladly give up the 10 m/s. My non frontline ships are now packing nearly 100 gun tubes.

Armament is now strictly sim speed limited.

8. Whiplash141 Junior Engineer

Already tried... The Displacement cannon's rotors explode. Seems having a rotor stack on top of 2 rotors is a bad idea :woot:

9. PyreStarite Junior Engineer

10. mhalpern Senior Engineer

that's unfortunate. size wise they would be perfect too, I take it doubling the pivot rotors doesn't help either

11. iN5URG3NT Senior Engineer

Hello everyone, it's been a while!

I took a little break from SE a while back and it seems others have too. Community creations is not as busy as it used to be.

Anyway, I've been busy building for the last few weeks and I've got a few things to show you..

Edit: No idea why this link doesn't work

Try this: imgur.com/gallery/lo7wa

I'll start uploading in the next few weeks, probably the smaller vessels first, one or two a week. Hopefully I can get them all done by Christmas :D

Last edited: Nov 7, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  12. mhalpern Senior Engineer

Not seeing any atmo small ships, perhaps a carrier (not a main one, just one a little bigger than your frigates) with the purpose of landing on a planet to deploy atmo fighters and ground vehicles, much easier to do as the idea is that it would be less vulnerable from below, also you need a jump tug of some kind for the bulldog atmo frigates.

13. Fenris Apprentice Engineer

I like them all ... but that Athena Star Carrier is awe inspiring! :D

And yeah, imgur seems to be borked on these forums (maybe others, haven't looked) for at least the last couple of days.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. Smeghammer Trainee Engineer

Those new ships look wonderful. Me and my design buddy have been laying out fleet plans/doctrine, and have a ~700m carrier design to work out and build. Can only hope it looks half as promising as that.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. Timberwolf Apprentice Engineer

I'm interested in playing around with your battlecruisers and carrier.

Alhough I notice that you went from 'Frigate' to 'Battlecruiser'. No Destroyers or Cruisers?

• Like Like x 1
  16. iN5URG3NT Senior Engineer

Thanks guys! Motivation is always appreciated. :tu:

Yes, I've got four destroyers already and some were fairly recent so I skipped them for now. As for the Battlecruisers, the Wyvern was supposed to be a cruiser but ended up a little too big so I just went with Battlecruiser. They are basically big destroyers, but with industrial gear and hangars. The Dragon was always a Battlecruiser, designed to fight the Bird! The Dragon is single grid throughout, including the PMW and features a unique engine design to make it faster than it looks.

The Carrier will probably break the game, my computer and possibly my sanity. :D It's basically a space version of Artemis and can support all of my small craft, but with a higher capacity, reloading facilities for Scarabs and a ship factory that builds, reloads and fuels Wasps and Locusts. It's probably going to sit in the 60-70Kt range. Also features at least 14 rotor turrets. I'm not entirely sure it's a good idea. Makes me smile though. :D

So I'm starting small, expect the Scorpion and Imp on Monday, maybe the Entrepreneur too. Projectors changes have broken most of the PMWs, so they're going to need a little more time. Hopefully the Puma/Snow Leopard the following week and the Vulture/Direwolf the week after. We shall see.

• Like Like x 1
  17. jonnytaco Apprentice Engineer

What issues were you having with projectors @iN5URG3NT?

And i can't wait for monday :)

18. Timberwolf Apprentice Engineer

The Wyvern's got a huge number of turrets. Which means either my ships are undergunned or yours are overgunned. I'm guessing the former.

19. iN5URG3NT Senior Engineer

• Like Like x 4
  20. iN5URG3NT Senior Engineer

Evening all. I've had a few attempts at creating a decent ECM system in the past, most notably on the Phantom and the abandoned Fox, however neither were ever quite up to what I had in mind. With recent improvements to optimisation and a few inspirations from the community, I think I might have finally made a decent ECM system to overwhelm enemy turrets.

Here's a teaser:

[​IMG]

Sorry @Lord Commissar :D

And here's the ship to carry it, the Wildcat Corvette:

[​IMG]

There will be another two HS uploads on Monday, not Corvettes though, I missed a class. :D Two new FAC, the Vulture and the Eagle.

• Like Like x 1
  21. SF-1 Raptor Junior Engineer

Man, y'all make my ships look small.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Timberwolf Apprentice Engineer

Your Dragon Battlecruiser makes me think of a different ship.

I do tend to notice how exposed some of the turrets are. I prefer to sacrifice firing arc for protection.
    Can you enlighten me with what you mean by "GASP" and "Mass Driver"?

23. iN5URG3NT Senior Engineer

Do you mean the broad side rows? In general these new ships have sunken turrets for protection, but those ones need to clear the nacelles when firing. My Battlecruisers, like my Destroyers, will feature a turret repair system, so I think they'll be ok. Plus, sometimes you just can't recess. Turrets have always been among the most awkward blocks.

GASP = Guided Anti-Ship Projectile = Thruster driven missiles guided by @Whiplash141's Optically Guided Missile script. I didn't come up with the name, but that's what they were called when the script came out and it stuck. Unless you are from Saturn, then they are called LARPs. :D Generally small grid, but large grid is possible too.

Mass Driver = Gravity Driven Torpedo = Grav Gun, Grav Torpedo, MAC, Railgun, Coilgun, these have been called many things by the community. The venerable Gravity Generator driven Artificial Mass Torpedo design. Probably most players first PMW. Hasn't changed a lot in about two years now, although I believe Heavy Armour is considered a more reliable jacket than blast doors these days. Unguided, incapable of hitting anything but the largest, slowest ships and stations and expensive to produce, these weapons are basically obsolete in real survival. Nevertheless, a Large Grid Grav Torpedo is capable of causing devastation if it hits and is generally pretty resistant to the whims of Clang, at least compared with missiles.

The Dragon originally featured five rotor turrets and small grid GASPs alongside the Mass Drivers. Clang was unwilling to cooperate, so I made the whole thing single grid. As it's quite large, it will probably affect Sim Speed when firing, and mixed grids are often unstable at a low Sim Speed. This is still subject to change though.

• Funny Funny x 1
  24. Timberwolf Apprentice Engineer

I think they might fall under SACLOS https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semi-automatic_command_to_line_of_sight

I wouldn't really call them Mass Drivers or any other kind of weapon using magnetically propelled projectiles, as in SE you use gravity rather than magnetism. Different method, same result. I do love to debate naming. ;)

Until they add big guns to the game, I'm going to have to stick to the current turrets. Which indeed are a right pain in the ass. I might have to redo a hull I've been working on as putting a turret inside a sloped hull leaves a very big hole in the side of the ship.

25. PyreStarite Junior Engineer

This rinky dink thing makes your ships look small?

26. iN5URG3NT Senior Engineer

This weeks first upload is here!

CEU Vulture Guided Missile Boat
    steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=804124376

[​IMG]

I low cost and lightweight multil environment FAC utilising a single reloadable Hydrogen Missile also for use in all environments. Has a integrated refueling system built in the the launcher to allow use in survival. Also goes bloody fast.

Clang willing, the Eagle will be on the workshop later today.
    --- Automerge ---
    Hang on, we're in for some chop!

CEU Eagle Heavy Dropship
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=804611621

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That's this week's uploads done. Another two next week!

• Like Like x 4
  27. PyreStarite Junior Engineer

When I was making the Ceresian Alliance Valkyrie, I had to study your build style in order to replicate it onto the Valkyrie. Doing so I noticed how much you took light armor and firepower seriously. So light on armor that some areas and innards were marginally exposed like a girl wearing skimpy armor, especially in comparison to my accidental "curvy" build style.

• Funny Funny x 1
  28. Timberwolf Apprentice Engineer

I just noticed how much the top ship looks like a Hornet. :O
    Well, kinda.

[​IMG]

As for the armor, I try to never leave something exposed. Even less so on spaceships.

29. PyreStarite Junior Engineer

I would recommend what surge told me long ago, more than one color, neither of those being black. I would also suggest more luxurious and dynamic angles and curves which would make it more eye catching.

• Agree Agree x 1
  30. tankmayvin Senior Engineer

I make all of my ships blocky and black. It's engineering gaming, not a bikini contest :p

• Funny Funny x 1
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.