Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

[HS] Hyperion Systems - Next Generation Ships - Wildcat MLRS Corvette Available Now!

Discussion in 'Community Creations' started by iN5URG3NT, May 3, 2015.

?

What Ship Class should I concentrate on next? (See post on page 3 for details)

1. UFAC

1 vote(s)
    1.3%
  2. FAC (Includes Refits)

1 vote(s)
    1.3%
  3. Corvettes (Includes Refits)

10 vote(s)
    12.8%
  4. Frigates

5 vote(s)
    6.4%
  5. Destroyers

12 vote(s)
    15.4%
  6. Ships of the Line

8 vote(s)
    10.3%
  7. Carriers

25 vote(s)
    32.1%
  8. Stations

17 vote(s)
    21.8%
  9. More small ships please. Large grid is expensive!

12 vote(s)
    15.4%
  10. No more warships! Build more Standard Interplanetary Mining stuff!

11 vote(s)
    14.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Hydrohawk Trainee Engineer

I wonder if it would be possible to create an Aegis-type array to track incoming targets and then launch smaller, guided SAMs in response (Like the SM-2 on a Cruiser). If it works, a system like that could definitely help reduce the threat of a PMW.

2. 3eepoint Junior Engineer

Was discussing that with a friend just jesterday after I saw a video of a new tank defense system that shoots an explosive load above the tank and lets the shockwave of the exploding package fu** up the incoming missile. @Whiplash141 new raycast script for range finding should with the features for ownership and "collision cours checking" by the raycast feature make something like that possible....I think, he is one of the code gurus here so I can only guess...

First experiments with small warheads seemed promising. A small ship pmw gets basically disarmed and a Large ship PMW drastically reduced. A really large one like that clusterfu** that throws gyros would be a nother level tho....

3. tankmayvin Senior Engineer

You'd need an insane camera array to cover 360 degrees around a ship.

Grav drive or hydro sprinting once your point defenses go off is a lot easier to implement.

One thing you might be able to do is use something like whips turret script to deal with detection and initial aiming and then just have a ray cast high speed missile intercept launching off a custom turret system. I've been experimenting with short range pmws fired from custom turrets and they work ok-ish but they force you to be inside the bubble of turret fire.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. jonnytaco Apprentice Engineer

If we can get cross grid communications two small grid cameras arrays, one on the "top" and one on the "bottom" of your ship will cover the full 360 depending on your ships geometry.

5. Whiplash141 Junior Engineer

Yeah, I ran some simulations on the amount of time it would take to scan a 30 degree 3-D frustum with a minimum detection size of 100m... it is not promising :D We need an actual volumetric scanning device and not a 1D beam for this.

Nah. Sadly it is a 1D beam with rate based on length of beam.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. tankmayvin Senior Engineer

If they were conical scanning yes, since they are a 1D beam you'd need a huge bulb of them constantly rotating to cover dead zones, and so the time to scan the entire 360deg volume of space would be very time consuming.

Think about how little relative volume the equivalent of even a 5x5 large grid wall actually covers of the 360 degree bubble around a ship. It blots out that 5x5 rectangle but you need to process both in theta space and phi space to cover half the sphere.

7. jonnytaco Apprentice Engineer

Yep, you're right. For some reason I remember seeing 46 degrees but that seems to not be the case :(. Dreams shattered.

8. tankmayvin Senior Engineer

It was originally supposed to be a cone, I made this same mistake in this thread just a couple of posts before you posted.

9. iN5URG3NT Senior Engineer

• Like Like x 2
  10. Timberwolf Apprentice Engineer

A Particle Projector Cannon?
    http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Particle_Projector_Cannon

11. Lord Commissar Junior Engineer

• Like Like x 1
  12. Timberwolf Apprentice Engineer

13. JD.Horx Senior Engineer

Ah, so you mean a Mass Driver?

14. iN5URG3NT Senior Engineer

I told you, it's a Particle Cannon...

Ok, fine. It's a big Gatling Gun Array. Still fun though. :D

Another corvette coming soon:

[HS] Wildcat ECM Corvette [ECMCRV]

[​IMG]

That's a lot of missiles right? It's suppose to be an ECM system to scramble AI turrets, but it's also a fairly lethal weapon system in it's own right. It does lack guidance though, but that isn't a big problem for the ECM functionality as you only need to get the missiles within 600m of the enemy ship. I've tested against various ships and nothing seems to be able to stop the missiles, but there is one last ship to test them against, the Legendary Ifrit. I've installed an autofire system, but that does get out of hand quite fast as the system has a creative rpm of around 600 missiles. :D

Theoretically survival ready, but a little more tricky to manage than usual. If the Snow Leopard was in part a complaint about the lack of Vanilla weapons, the Wildcat is a protest against the lack of smaller merges and connectors. Just imagine the beautiful weapons we could build with smaller functional blocks instead of having to resort to bizarre release and power methods. I guess it's a good excuse for some engineering though. :D

Some more shots of the weapon in action:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In that much chaos you could launch anything at the enemy and their defences would not care. The turrets can barely hit the missiles, let alone the decoy in each one. Drastically improves the survivability of other PMW.

What's more, Clang willing, I think I might be able to add guidance, but that will be on another ship. 600 Guided missiles per minute... What a vision. :stare:

The Wildcat is ready for upload now. Shall I release today? Or wait for my usual Monday/Tuesday release? Hoping to release the Direwolf next week as well. Yay, more PMW!

• Like Like x 2
  15. Howitz Junior Engineer

Omg, that's some spoopy weapon you're dealing with there

16. tankmayvin Senior Engineer

If you're going dumfire, why don't you mix in say 1/5 of the missiles as a rod of small grid heavy armor (15 blocks long or so). You'll dramatically increase penetration without losing much of the ECM.

17. iN5URG3NT Senior Engineer

Good news! I've managed to guide these micro missiles! The new missile and launcher still need some tweaking, but the concept is sound.

[HS] Hellhound Missile Frigate Prototype

[​IMG]

Missiles away!

[​IMG]

Reloadable, survival ready.

Seems like I might as well install this system in the Wildcat. What do you guys think?

• Like Like x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  18. The Churrosaur Junior Engineer

My god...

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. tankmayvin Senior Engineer

Where's the WS link so that I can deathcubify this?

• Funny Funny x 2
  20. iN5URG3NT Senior Engineer

Hopefully fairly soon. The Wildcat could be out this week if I leave it as a dumbfire system, but I'm seriously considering an upgrade. The only really interesting part of the system is the release mechanism that allows construction, fueling and firing of 1x1xX missiles, once you see that you realise how simple it is. I've no idea why this method has not been widely used before. I have to admit I did not come up with it, I saw it on Reddit months ago and I've seen concepts for ECM using a similar method.

HYPE CONTROL -

I should also mention that while survival ready, it is not as straight forward as a traditional battery missile. Like the Vulture, it needs a relatively complex launcher and preferably a competent Space Engineer. There are also issues regarding the acceleration and agility of the missiles, which are currently a bit sluggish due to the weak output of the SG SIT. There is the issue of effectiveness vs alternatives as the Hellhound could hold 16 traditional gasps instead of 32 micro missiles, which would probably be more effective.

CONCLUSION

Pros:
    Lots of missiles cause major problems for AI Turrets
    Lightweight missiles hard to hit,
    High RPM, MPM, whatever.
    Compact Reload system, especially when dumbfire.
    Great damage vs light armour.
    Looks fantastic in action.
    Possible enemy morale damage.

Cons:
    Complicated and frail launcher apparatus.
    Requires advanced materials.
    Poor handling and acceleration.
    Long minimum range for VLS or side launch, frontal launch not affected.
    Sim Speed dependant.
    Probably not MP friendly.

Research continues...
    --- Automerge ---
    Ok, I think this is the variant I'll go with:

[​IMG]

24 Micro Guided Missiles. It has much better acceleration than the previous model and with a higher number of missiles for the same space. I'm hoping to release in the next couple of days. I may use this system on the Hellhound, but I'm a little concerned 48 missiles might be pushing my luck!

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  21. jonnytaco Apprentice Engineer

simply glorious!

an idea for the hell hound if 48 is pushing it. Split it into 2 types of missile bays, 24 shot micro missile volley and then a 4 shot "standard" size missile volley. May even be able to work them together to provide ecm for some bigger he missiles :) plus you don't have to name 48 missiles :p

Last edited: Dec 12, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 1
  22. Timberwolf Apprentice Engineer

• Like Like x 2
  23. iN5URG3NT Senior Engineer

Hey. You may be thinking, "it's Wednesday, where the hell is the latest HS ship?" Well, you were getting the Wildcat with all those lovely missiles... till I found out guided missiles are broken in DEV. :( Also, clang has decided that missile 2 is longer allowed to fire. Bit of a shame really, as I've spent quite a bit of time refining the system, which apart from random bullshit bugs, works beautifully.

So, now I've got a predicament, do I release the Wildcat with it's original dumbfire system and save the guided micro missiles for the Hellhound? Or do I wait and polish up something else for release this week? Or maybe take a week off?

What do my fellow Arms Racers think?

24. JD.Horx Senior Engineer

The issue with broken guided missiles in Dev branch is really annoying me, my Atlas frigate is still waiting for a purpose of its torpedo bay, since it is without function at the moment. And dumb fire is... Well dumb.

And also the new Cerberus Mk.4 and my brand new cruiser (code name Titan, yeah I know I'm not that creative in terms of giving things names) are waiting for just that reason! They all have torpedo bays without purpose now.
    What the hell.

And even if I wanted to release in stable branch, I'm not able to load those blueprints in stable anymore and the world is also not backwards compatible. So how can I get any of my ships back into stable branch?

Edit: forgot to answer your question while ranting. You should either release in stable mode and declare in workshop that things don't work in Dev, or you wait and spam Keen with a nice signature "give back getFreeDestination !!!1elf" just below the "give back ladders" line.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2016
  25. Wellstat Apprentice Engineer

Your ships are awesome, quite tempted to see how they stand up against this weapon:

• Like Like x 1
  26. JD.Horx Senior Engineer

Ah, the good old cargo container releasing ore torpedo, I thought it was nerfed because of why not. But I think the real challenge with this is actually hitting anything (if your target is not a station) as the projectile is pretty heavy and corrective maneuvers are slow. And point defense can also shred it, though that doesn't protect you from floating objects like ores and ingots.

• Agree Agree x 1
  27. iN5URG3NT Senior Engineer

@JD.Horx The problem is not the lack of GFD, my missiles are optically guided, it's the fact that timers built by projector/welder lose all their settings. This breaks Whip's missiles.

The lack of backward compatibility on BP's pisses me off too. Looking forward to seeing these new ships!

@Wellstat Weapons like that are the reason I don't have many big slow ships! Is that based around ore and grav gens? It looks pretty brutal!

• Agree Agree x 1
  28. 3eepoint Junior Engineer

...that it is high time for some Player Made Defense (PMD) against Player Made weapons (PMW) but I dont know how...

..on your question, take a week of! Probaply the missiles could be fixed and pressure to release something seldom produces a product that reaches the hight of its abiletys.

• Agree Agree x 1
  29. Whiplash141 Junior Engineer

I've been waiting for nearly 3 for this to be fixed lol

• Agree Agree x 1
  30. 3eepoint Junior Engineer

KEEN time calculation=Next bigger time unit times 3

example:

fix in tomorrows hotfix is in 3 Weeks....

• Funny Funny x 1
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.