Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Hydrogen Farm

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback' started by Visvires, Oct 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Visvires Trainee Engineer

So, I hook an 02 farm up to a hydrogen tank, and nothing happens. Fair enough. I look into the farm, and it has no alternate setting. I check for a hydrogen farm...nothing. Hydrogen is a non-renewable resource, unless cargo ships spawn some in. Maybe this changes with planets, but in the mean time...

How is it that we can build a block that slaps together an 8 proton atom from stellar radiation, matches it with electrons, pairs it off, and slaps it into a bottle, but we can't build one that can do the second step on an arriving proton?* Protons and electrons, together, are 95% of the solar wind and hydrogen is monatomic. If we can build an oxygen farm, a hydrogen farm should be child's play. And if production by mass is constant, molar production would be sixteen times as fast.

Why can we not have a hydrogen farm?

*That is what it's doing, right? Or it is recycling CO2 with algae, and we just conveniently don't ask where the algae and CO2 keep coming from? Because some of the CO2 could be from exhalation, but I vent my station to space and somehow the farms keep on chugging...

2. aRottenKomquat Apprentice Engineer

Makes sense. You could presumably collect some hydrogen from the solar wind. This would be useful on servers where they'll continue to gather and store up hydrogen fuel when everyone is offline.

3. tankmayvin Senior Engineer

Hydrogen consumption of thrusters is so high farms won't be able to keep up. But I agree they should be there on principle.

To get enough H2 for fuel you're going to have to crack Ice/Water. Unlike with O2 where you can produce enough breathable stuff with farms.

4. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

5. LATENT PRECISE-IMPOSER Apprentice Engineer

And Oxygen Farms arent enough to pressurize whole capital ships, but both would be a nice tool to have in regards to playing the game.

6. tankmayvin Senior Engineer

However, once you've got a reserve of oxy built up, oxy generators can keep up with crew consumption and losses to air locks. Such that you don't have to do much ice processing. Which makes an array of Oxygen generators a very useful thing to have.

This will never be the case for H2, and thus H2 generators may never meaningfully impact gameplay, unlike Oxy gens.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.