Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. Hello Guest!
    Welcome to the Bug Report forum, please make sure you search for your problem before posting here. If you post a duplicate (that you post the same issue while other people have already done that before) you will be given a warning point which can eventually lead into account limitations !

Here you can find a guide on how to post a good bug report thread.
    Space Engineers version --- Medieval Engineers version
  2. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Hydrogen Thrusters Continuing to Consume Fuel While Landing Gear is Locked

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by mikeloeven, Jan 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. mikeloeven Senior Engineer

Seems that if Inertial dampeners are enabled hydrogen thrusters will continue to consume fuel when Landing gear or Connectors are locked to a a Station or Voxel. In this scenario thrusters should not be allowed to consume fuel even if IDS is trying to compensate for some clang induced vibrations. This is basically wasting fuel correcting for movement that does not really exist.

2. Arcturus Senior Engineer

Same with other resources such as electricity for ion/atmospheric thrusters.

3. jandraelune Apprentice Engineer

Not the case here, at least in space Grid not moving...no power used from Thrusters.

4. NikolasMarch Junior Engineer

in space, the ship isnt trying to fight against gravity :D

5. henkbein Apprentice Engineer

Confirmed:
    If a gravity field is present, the hydrogen thrusters still use fuel when Landing gear/Connector is locked to a station.
    This should not happen.
    The station should support the ship (Did not test with voxels)

6. CrazyEd Trainee Engineer

I've always thought a hydrogen thruster left on would consume gas, regardless of whether it's in space, on a planet and / or gears locked. The lovely yellow flame is produced by gas burning yes ? So even at idle, a small amount of gas is being burned right ?

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. NoThanks Apprentice Engineer

Yes, it's called a pilot light. And it will consume a tiny amount of hydrogen while the thruster is lit. However I think these people's problem is that the hydrogen thrusters are continuing to consume fuel as if it were suspending the entire weight of the grid against gravity... which obviously is a problem when the ship is landed.

8. NikolasMarch Junior Engineer

the problem is the dampeners telling the thrusters to thrust. its been a problem for a while, it did disappear for a short time... but you know what keen are like, [specultaion] someone else starts a project not checking that something else has been altered and he is using an older piece of code... then bam, old bugs return!

not sure how its actually happening, just a guess.... either way its stupid and annoying at the same time

9. mikeloeven Senior Engineer

Pretty sure modern engines would use spark gap ignition instead of leaving a pilot light on and wasting gas even though it would be a small amount

10. Forcedminer Senior Engineer

I always group my thrusters and turn them all off when im not using them.

try turning off the thrusters or hydrogen tank and see does it stop.

• Like Like x 1
  11. NoThanks Apprentice Engineer

You might be right, I honestly can't think of any instance in which we use hydrogen fuel except in rockets that are usually solid-fuel and once they are lit... there's no turning them off. But I would imagine that a real world counterpart would have some system in place to prevent the bleeding off of fuel (an "off switch" I just came up with the idea myself.)

12. bigsteve Trainee Engineer

This is beside the point of the OP, but why the thrusters only use hydrogen?
    Where is the Oxygen?

13. Sinbad Senior Engineer

Ive found its best to not peer too deeply into the chemistry and physics behind SE. Once you question the missing oxygen, the unbalanced but still balanced thrust, the angular momentum damping, the magic refineries, medbays and conveyors, cargo containers, drills that collect stuff, gravity generators, gyros, jump drives, reactors, solar panels, pistons, rotors, wheels, connectors...
    It all starts to look a little silly. The case could be made that games like minecraft have equally realistic physics and chemistry to se considering they both ignore real physics in favor of gameplay.

Off topic: is chemistry really a science? Isnt it just a macro statistical approach to quantum mechanics?

14. MadMax Trainee Engineer

Not to be facetious, but would you rather play a game or a life simulator? I'm just fine with my drills collecting stuff if it means I don't have to stop what I'm doing to run around picking up ore that my ship drills up...

15. Sinbad Senior Engineer

Oh, im not complaining about realism. (Gameplay>realism)
    Just pointing out that once you start picking on the un-real aspects of games... well, that rabbit hole just keeps getting deeper the longer you look into it.
    Its best to just smile, nod your head, and carry on with having fun.

16. CrazyEd Trainee Engineer

Ahhh yeah, that would suck monkey nuggets :-/ I turn that junk off as soon as they aren't needed, So I've never noticed

17. Forcedminer Senior Engineer

now that picture of nick smiling with the content how deep does the rabbit hole go
    is going to be stuck in my head. :p

you can view the amount of gas in the hydrogen tank when controlling or accessing part of the ship.
    if any hydrogen thrusters are on you can see an realtime hydrogen drain.

i just get into the habit or turning off the tank or thrusters....like leaving the engine running....its not good.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.