Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

I just learned windows block oxygen farms from working

Discussion in 'General' started by SirConnery, May 7, 2019.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. SirConnery Apprentice Engineer

Well, after building my glass house for stylish oxygen farms. I learned the windows actually prevent them from working. Amazing.

For a game about "engineering" why are the oxygen farms self contained? Isn't that the opposite of what the game is about?

2. Roxette Senior Engineer

Welcome to Space Engineers! Leave all your logic and engineering knowledge at the door, thanks.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

A block is a block is a block. So if a block is between the sun, your solar panels and farms will not work. Getting functionality like this work require a lot of work as blocks would have to have a translucent property attached to them, angles would have to be calculated and, of course, what happens when you have two layers of glass? This can be frustrating when making something like air tight hangar doors over solar panels. But it's a minor inconvenience rather than a show-stopper.

4. SirConnery Apprentice Engineer

Oh but c'mon. The whole point of having oxygen farms is to build stylish windowed areas for them. You know it, I know it. Why are we pretending this is not the case?

5. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

Your paradigm just shifted. Are you able to shift with it? Hm-m-m-m-m-m?

6. Calaban Junior Engineer

I think the mistake was putting the misleading plants inside them.

Originally they were "solar wind collectors", gathering individual oxygen ions streaming out from the sun, and collecting oxygen very verrrrry slowly. But, obviously in that case, having to be out in the "wind" to function.

Now they seem to be hydroponic oxygen terrariums, which is a whole different animal.. engineering wise.

7. Malware Master Engineer

Think about it, though. That's space grade glass. It needs to block radiation. There probably wouldn't be much the plants could use anyway.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Sarekh Senior Engineer

While that is not a bad point per se, I think there are two things to take into consideration: If I use plants to generate oxygen in space in that time, I expect those plants to be genetically adapted to be suitable to prolonged live in space - that would include that they are either able to use a broad spectrum of wavelength for photosynthesis or that they are able to very efficiently absorb a specific wavelength that actually gets through the glass.
    And there's my other point: we use the same glass for the oxygen-farm and the windows. They do not look particuarly thick to me and the light is not particuarly less intense behind them. The Windows for space would have to be able to block a wavelength of the sun that would be irrelevant or harmful to the plants, anyway - they'd have to do the job of the atmosphere of a planet!

9. Malware Master Engineer

@Sarekh Maybe the genetical adaptation allow them to convert stronger radiation, which is why they are so extremely effective at generating oxygen when exposed directly to it, while the glass designed to protect a human will prevent them from getting enough of that radiation to do their thing.

All I need is suspension of belief. This is a good enough explanation to me, ignoring the obvious game-technical reasons why this is a thing.

There's jump drives and artificial gravity generators in the game. This isn't any more far fetched than that... :p

10. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

And don't forget conveyors that will transfer material and components through solid rock!

11. Sarekh Senior Engineer

ha, works for me! :-D

12. Roxette Senior Engineer

In any case, the glass on the oxygen farms look a lot cleaner than the windows, so it's bound to reduce efficiency putting windows in the way...

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. May Rears Apprentice Engineer

You can however partially embed oxygen farms into the hull of a ship. Only the "glass" sections need access to sunlight, not the cube at the base so I use them to break up sections of exterior hull as an alternative to the usual ribbing.

14. Roxette Senior Engineer

Actually the cube at the base is part of the active area, if it does not get sunlight the maximum output is reduced by one third. More Keen logic ?

15. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

:carlton:

^ That is the logic!

• Late Late x 1
  16. Stardriver907 Senior Engineer

I use the }Drifting Thoughts{ oxygen farms.

17. May Rears Apprentice Engineer

I might give those a try again. They broke for me ages ago and I stopped using them and forgot about them but reading the comments on the steam page for the mod it appears someone updated them backend of 2018.

18. Stardriver907 Senior Engineer

Yeah, I think it was the DX11 thing because as far as I know they have always worked. I like them because they have only one side and come in different lengths. You can mount them on solar arrays that are supposed to track the sun and they don't look weird because they're tracking the sun yet they have two sides :D

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.