Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

I know why keen has not released new DX11 models

Discussion in 'General' started by tango06, Nov 2, 2015.

?

What should the modelers be focused on?

1. Sabiroids (Spiders/Bugs)

15.2%
  2. Updating Old Models

56.1%
  3. EHERMAGEERD PLERRRRNEERRRTTS

40.9%
  4. Other new models/features

34.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. tango06 Trainee Engineer

I was wondering why this
    [​IMG]

which is a feature/mechanic that has polarized the community , looked so much better than this

[​IMG]

but then i realized that the modelers for keen are probably busy working on the bug animations and models, and forgetting about replacing the models and textures for the old blocks.

Is this something that we are ok with? Personally I would like to see vanilla only ships start looking better by having some fully fleshed out models, rather than having some bugs that may or may not kill me.

What do you think?

PS: My brain isn't working and I can't for the life of me remember what the official term for a modeler is.... :'(

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Late Late x 1
  2. tango06 Trainee Engineer

PS: I'm new to the community, so please be nice to me :)

• Like Like x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. Dreokor Senior Engineer

Well, probably because this:
    [​IMG]

Was done recently and this:

[​IMG]

Is around 1 and a half years old?

Meaning that they probably hired a (or another) 3D modeler(s) during that time and considering they have their focus on planets, it makes more sense to finish them instead of focusing on aesthetics? (After all, planets are around 50% done by people)

• Like Like x 2
  4. BlackUmbrellas Senior Engineer

Finished block models can wait, honestly. They made a bunch of placeholders, those placeholders have served well so far. They launched a few updated models a while back, possibly to gauge reaction to them.

The saberoids, meanwhile, are being made now, from scratch; there's no reason to hash out a placeholder model when they can just get them to where they want them now.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Mix-martes86 Senior Engineer

Voted the old models because:

1- The sabiroids look finished enough to me, at least the parts that concern the art department.
    2- The planets themselves seem to have gotten enough love from the modelers in the shape of trees/bushes and textures for the different biomes, and the heightmaps, so the stuff remaining is probably coding stuff.
    3- Can't think of any new features in addition to all the stuff we already have.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. Commander Rotal Master Engineer

Before they use valuable time to update already existing models i want them to add new ones first, mostly decoratives. I don't need the upteenth iteration of a beacon but i do need a toilet or a bed.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Demo Apprentice Engineer

A bed could have an In game use as well, once planets are added perhaps you can sleep to change time of day if your base/ base-under-construction needs solar power or such, idk just thinking out-loud.

8. tango06 Trainee Engineer

But its space.... do you really need a toilet ;)

9. Mix-martes86 Senior Engineer

Only in single-player. There's no way to synchronize that in a multiplayer world.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. RustyXXL Apprentice Engineer

There'll be enough time to update current models, once beta hits. I'd prefer them adding new models/features.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Demo Apprentice Engineer

yeah yeah, sorry I don't tend to think in-terms of multiplayer :p

12. PsicoPato Senior Engineer

Indeed they can replace the old stuff later, new stuff is allways welcome. =)

By the way why i can't like anybody post anymore?

13. Commander Rotal Master Engineer

I want to like this but the board has erased my like button :(Anyone else have that problem?

Counter question: do you need a new beacon model?

Stamina mechanic! Beds restore stamina. Another possible use could be a low-tier version of Cryo Chambers to save your bars. Obviously you could use that without extra Conveyors or Power.

• Like Like x 2
  14. RageMasterUK Apprentice Engineer

With the greatest of respect to Tango the OP, its not really our place to say where the modellers should be focusing their time. Whichever models the Keen team needs next is where they should be working.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Dreokor Senior Engineer

Just wait until some people start going "KEEN WONT ALLOW US TO LIKE STUFF! CENSORSHIP! WORLD DOMINATION PLOT!" again.

• Like Like x 3
  16. RustyXXL Apprentice Engineer

Damn...justwent with my mouse to the right to hit "like"...^^

• Like Like x 2
  17. Demo Apprentice Engineer

Ahhh my like bar... :'(
    what did I do to deserve this, is it a 1.106 thing
    First refineries now likes, wait...
    Is it cause I mentioned the refineries.
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  18. Mix-martes86 Senior Engineer

I'm not sure about the stamina, don't you restore stamina just by standing still?
    I do like the idea of beds being a low-tech Cryo though. It'd be totally functional on planets, where you build these hotels without the worry of the facility running out of oxygen or going adrift because the ship got severed in 2.

19. Commander Rotal Master Engineer

I think it's fairly slow, though. Been a while.

20. Demo Apprentice Engineer

From the video,(105?) I sorta assumed that sabroids (if on a planet) had a sorta-"would stay away from light" sort-a mechanic since the engineer seemed to have built a light post. I think something like that would be fun. Keep power on and walls/ sections well lit or they'll probe the dark areas for openings.
    ---- wait that came out wrong.

21. Dreokor Senior Engineer

22. tango06 Trainee Engineer

Counter Counter question: did we really need an old beacon model?

23. tango06 Trainee Engineer

Totally agree here and I totally support Keen in the way they are running things, I'm not trying to tell them what to do. Just curious as to what the community thinks. I'm almost as hyped about new textures and models as I am for planets. Personally, I'd love to see cargo containters, flight seats and control seats get some love.

I mostly build in creative and use mods, but nothing satisfies me more than swapping out a modded block for a vanilla one.

24. zDeveloper10 Junior Engineer

a lot of the models are there because they need to somewhat represent their purpose, be somewhat performance friendly in an unoptimized environment(where they were introduced between a couple years ago and now),and be made fast enough to drop in the patch that adds the functionality they symbolize. now that they have grown,and the game is coming along nicely, I wouldn't be surprised if they refreshed models over time or even revamped it over the course of a couple patches. planets seems to be taking priority for now; netcode would be next, though there's not as much art and shaders involved in netcode so if they have a dedicated texture and model person or persons, we might even get a few new models then. in speculation,that is.

25. HunterX Apprentice Engineer

Solution to Like Issue

Like :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  26. Aracus Senior Engineer

They seem to have implemented a new system with more options to indicate opinion, it does seem to fade unless you are hovering with your mouse over the post you wish to "like" (see lower right, I removed work-related shortcuts)
    Also had some pop-ups about it.... grr! pop-ups!

If they could solve it in Minecraft I'm sure we can do it here.

27. Jones-250 Apprentice Engineer

Voted for all four, as I'm an insatiable connoisseur of textures and models. No facts nor realities shall obstruct me from requesting and demanding the highest quality to be forged, for the bar, the art, to be raised to new heights, within the most minuscule period of time. Because I am the refined customer and I should be considered unique, infallible, perfect, and next to God when my high and honourable person is consulted on these matters.
    /s & jk (except for voting for all four)

28. Merandix Junior Engineer

A while back, Keen revealed to us that they only have -one- artist, who works for BOTH games. They were hiring (so the situation has likely improved); but remember, the original artist now is a lead-artist, who also has to bring the new artists up to speed.

Most models ingame are placeholders. The new models will come, but it will take some time. With new planets coming, I think there's also some more new-block surprises in store for us. So who knows? :)

29. cedi Apprentice Engineer

Models these days are such a costly affair. In the good old wc3 days you got them a dime a dozen and they still had less polygons than a single modern one. (Not counting the LODs). Which is also the reason why you get so few enemy types in the newer RPGs and RTS'. At to that the fact that they are probably designing trees for planets and it gets quite obvious why they haven't added any other improved models, yet.

30. Spets Master Engineer

last I hear was that they dont update the old models now because they dont have enough 3D artist. A few artist left the team recently, and yes, also because they are focusing on planets

• Agree Agree x 2
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.