Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

I love the challenge posed by planet gravity and thrusters.

Discussion in 'General' started by CrookedTube, Mar 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. CrookedTube Trainee Engineer

I felt it needed to be said as a lot of our feedback (while civil) tends to be criticism, bug reports, or suggestions.

I LOVE the challenge of designing ships that can leave and re-enter a 1.0 gravity well, that look good, and that an Engineer might actually be proud to be seen flying. Designing a ship without tons of panic thrusters that will get a useful payload into orbit on a modest amount of hydrogen and energy to build a small station that I will in turn use to find resources for my eventual exploration and combat ships has occupied nearly 200 hours in the past few weeks.

Right now I'm using the Small Ship Mega Mod pack, a speed mod, and sticking with the little ships until my resources will allow for the bigger builds and it creates a realistic feel, as with our own space program, bringing components and supplies up in shifts and so on. I have to manage my hydrogen use and all three kinds of thrusters on the way down, especially, so as to not run out of hydrogen before the atmospheric thrusters have enough authority to take over. It has really caused me to think in ways that were not made necessary before the addition of planets and hydrogen. I've actually started creating checklists due to the hard lessons I've learned (in SP) on descents like forgetting to turn on the oxygen tank and having the cabin run low on breathable air with my faceplate off. Managing energy and mass and solving problems with engineering.... I'm crazy about this game even with the occasional monkey wrenches caused by well-known bugs.

I'd buy SE again, and I can't thank Keen enough for their work on a game which has become my ultimate escape.

http://images.akamai.steamuserconte...416/C8530FB0499EB45BB59B6E2337C88C253CA39E33/

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 6
    • Friendly Friendly x 3
  2. SilentShadow Apprentice Engineer

I also enjoy planets, though I started playing this game after planets were introduced. My current effort is a single stage surface to space hydrogen ship so I can make it to the moon and beyond.

The challenges of large scale planetary mining to simply traversing terrain with wheeled vehicles has been fantastic.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Frigidman Apprentice Engineer

Totally agreed (although I do without mods to make it even more painful lol)... the limits of survival adds to game time for sure. But I think so in a good way. Coupled with survival on a planet surface, to get something made in those limits and gravity, to get out there and grow... much more!

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. SilentShadow Apprentice Engineer

I'm doing it with no mods also. Actually once I figure how to build decent survival friendly ships and bases I'll probably start over on World with pirates and delete the starting base ... Or perhaps see if there is something I the workshop similar to start system but with pirates.

5. Me 10 Jin Apprentice Engineer

My next creative project is probably going to be a "Hard Start Earth" with lots of pirate bases and the player(s) starts in a crashed ship (partly submerged in an ice lake).

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. SilentShadow Apprentice Engineer

I look forward to it. Maybe start in a heavily damaged large ship just inside the gravity well rapidly falling. With no power, just a limited time to grab a few items and head to the escape pod and abandon ship before impact.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Me 10 Jin Apprentice Engineer

Interesting idea, but it's not very nice to put players immediately into a timed do-or-die situation. I would rather put the big ship just outside a planet's gravity well, lock the players into the room with the escape pods, and use their launch to trigger the large ship's hard thrust towards the planet. The big ship could be rigged with warheads that go off at various times in the descent. The escape pods would have the players facing the ship as they eject, spaceballs-style, to get a nice view of the explosions. The pods would come with tools and computer components, but players would need to get steel from the wreckage to build an assembler & refinery.

-----------------------------------

What I have in mind is a pirate prison transport, crashed, upside down, with the top forward section thoroughly wrecked, and its ass end poking up out of a lake. I'll use voxel hands to remove ice form the ship's interior. The ship's lower deck has cryo pods, most of them damaged, and one of the intact ones has a yellow blinking light above it; that's there the first player starts. Also on that level are two connectors set to toss out rifles, ammo, and explosive components at a steady interval.

Remember that the ship is upside down, so players will need to shoot their way through the vent in the ceiling that they're walking on, possibly with the help of a few explosive components (they explode if you shoot them with bullets). The ship's second level is for vehicle transport and has a hangar door + loading ramp towards the back. The ship's third level is storage and assemblers, where players will find components and tools for hacking the few working blocks on the ship. At this point, players can either build a small vehicle and set off on their own, or stay to salvage more of the wreck. In the vicinity are several pirate gatling towers, marked by "No Trespassing" beacons, to complicate the players' decision.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. BlackUmbrellas Senior Engineer

No worse than the planetary lander...

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Me 10 Jin Apprentice Engineer

You're right. The lander start wasn't the best idea; remember this thread?

10. BlackUmbrellas Senior Engineer

The lander caused me problems once because of the spawn-in lag on a new world; by the time my screen unfroze, I'd crashed. That was the first time I tried planets. Since then, I never had that problem again. It's... really not that hard.

11. StuffYouFear Apprentice Engineer

Im with OP on this, Ive spent a month now in SP with a crashed miltary transport trying to get it into space. Im to the point where Im now playing in creative just so I can delete the heavy armor blocks and replace with light armor blocks without having to store or toss the leftover plates and grids.

12. Samsonguy920 Apprentice Engineer

I enjoy the challenge of escaping gravity wells myself, seeing what can be designed to do such. I just kinda wish the stock speed limit was raised significantly, so it doesn't feel like such an exercise in tedium in the act itself.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.