Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Impossible to take over enemy npc ship?

Discussion in 'Gameplay Help' started by Tamagotchii, Jan 9, 2020.

1. Tamagotchii Trainee Engineer

Spent the last 8 hours trying to come up with a play to take over the yellow npc distress ship.
    Tried everything from 10 heavy armor blocked decoys to just straight attempting to ram the turrets. shooting them from a distance using a camera zoom does not work. rockets were also ineffective as the turret within miliseconds eats through the armor like tin foil.
    what's the strategy here to take over this ship with out obliterating it?

2. PandaTv Trainee Engineer

build small schip and gattling this can shoot bei 900m the big gattling from npc 800m you can easy sniper .

3. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

There is not a ship (or installation) out there that I haven’t defeated with a hand grinder and my trusty rifle (the elite grinder and welder to quickly hack a component, and the elite rifle is best for its firing rate and accuracy). I use the grinder to hack everything with a computer, and I use my rifle to subdue turrets that I cannot easily grind. My goal is to find and disable the remote control first so I can take control of the ship. Then I work my way through it hacking everything until I own it all. Getting to the ship or installation is the trick. Fly in fast and in ever-changing arcs and try not to become a bug-splat on the structure. Once there, you own it.

(There was a time not long ago where all you had to do was stick on a passenger seat (or hack a single component) and you could change the ownership of everything to “Me”, but that time has passed and now you’ve got to hack everything.)

4. bleakhead Trainee Engineer

Daran erkennt man schnell die Deutschen Spieler/-innen :D

5. Kattla Trainee Engineer

I do pretty much the same as Spiff does. Just save, fly in with just a grinder and rifle. For the mining carriage, i found the safest approach to be from behind. If i am killed, i reload and try again. If i land safely, i save again (if i remember it). I tried the other methods too, but if i want something other the scrapmetal , that seems to be the way to do it. I tend to shoot timer blocks , antennas and programmeable blocks in addition to the remote control. Wonder if i could make a shield and set ownership of it to the enemy, and use a landing gear to carry it in front of a small vessel, hmm..

6. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

Mining Carriage = easy parts + small reactor = score!

7. Tamagotchii Trainee Engineer

How about the encounter that spawns the 2x Red gatling Drones and the 1x gun ship when you approach it along with the 2x salvage drones. how would you take the initial ship cause as soon as you attempt to disable the first gatling it just spawns another? and while attempting hack the initial ship the drones destroy it. and if you go after the drones the other drone kills you before you've had any time to hack the first drone. I still have not found a solution for this scenario.

8. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

You've got to disable the spawning antennas as quickly as possible. I tend to burrow in like a tick, find the remote control, disable it, hack the flight seat, then get that doggie rolling. Once it's moving, with the drones lagging behind, I get back outside and hack all the turrets. I slow down only when I own everything, then let the hacked turrets put the smack-dab on those pesky drones.

9. Silvrav Trainee Engineer

or get your signal noticed by them, lead them back to base where there is a decent base defence waiting for them.

10. Tamagotchii Trainee Engineer

I thought the spawns were controlled by the timer block or programable computer block. I didn't know disabling the antenna would stop the spawns. also I did not know that they would seek out the base antenna as Silvrav mentioned. I was under the assumption that they were statically programmed to head that way if they could see your signal or not.. good to know that I should turn off my antenna before pestering the pirates..

With all that said I did attempt to take over the R.U.S.T freighter and thought I was doing good following your mentioned method and that darn thing crashed it self into the closest asteroid at the time... is this suppose to be this way or just a case of bad luck?

There was a timer block some where constantly overidding the thrusters

11. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

I have no idea why the R.U.S.T freighter would go all suicidal. Maybe someone's updated the NPC AI. Dunno.

Yeah, it's all about the spawning antennas. Kill that and the remote control, then hack the flight seat (or control station) to turn on inertial dampeners so the ship will stop, and you own that sucker.

Also, when I'm playing a new survival game with lots of nasty NPC mods loaded (Assertive Air Traffic, Installations, Bunkers, etc.) and land in a survival pod, I always change ownership of all the pod's components to "Nobody". Doing so usually prevents enemy ships from blasting my only defense against death.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
  12. Lord Grey Apprentice Engineer

The R.U.S.T freighter has a sensor that activates a timer block, which then overrides the forward thrusters to flee from the attacking player. The crash was bad luck. Just disable the remote control will not stop the timer, you have to cut down the timer itselfe to stop this behavior.

13. Tamagotchii Trainee Engineer

Thanks for the replies. going to take theses techniques and put them into action.

14. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

I was going after a R.U.S.T freighter yesterday while playing a survival game. By the time I figured out where they hid that dang remote control and got that baby reigned in the ship was deep within the Earthlike planet's gravity well. I made it out OK, but just barely. Maybe the AI is intentionally directing it to crash. Dunno. But that sure was an interesting coincidence.

15. Tamagotchii Trainee Engineer

Just attempted the R.U.S.T freighter 10x with in last 2 hours times trying to fly in with the grinder and land on the bridge method they kill me with 300m to go every time no dice.. tried multiple times from front and the back.. how are you getting on board this I cant seem to do it today for nothing.. the turrets keep mowing me down..

going to try to cheese it by building me a wall of blocks to hid behind next time and setup an ambush..lol

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
  16. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

I made the run-in from the front because there's only one interior turret on front, yet the rear has two gatling turrets (normally I come in from the rear). I always approach at full speed and in an arc that's changing all the time (the guns track on where they think you'll be, so you need to keep changing course slightly to throw off their aim). My goal was the side near the front because there are edges there where you can dig in like a tick on a hound. However, as soon as you get in there the ship will take off like a scalded cat, so walk around as much as possible; hitting jetpack at full speed will result in you being a bug on a windshield and you will die. The remote control is behind the programmable block (under the cryo chamber). Good luck.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. hippybaker Trainee Engineer

I sometimes like to build a tugboat. I can sniper off the antenna and offending turrets, and then just grab onto the ship and hold it in place.

You sometimes need a lot of thrusters if the ship tries to bolt.