Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Improvement of flight mechanics

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback' started by Mr_maraunet, Jul 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Mr_maraunet Trainee Engineer

I know it sound like a big change, but can you make a more star-wars like flight control. What I mean is that the way you control your ship actually is a bit weird for me because it's a mixture of reality and science fiction. I don't really know how to explain it but now it's like you're using rcs thruster and in a battle it's not very fun. Hope you understand what I mean. I know it's not very clear, but try to do like you control a plane in atmosphere, but with a ship in space.

Thanks for your great game and your time. Hope you'll go far with space engineers

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  2. Malware Master Engineer

No thank you. I don't want arcade control.

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. Chaosrex Apprentice Engineer

One of the most important feature of SE is the "near realistic" application of Newton's Laws of gravity.

And there is allready stuff that kinda eases the curb when flying( inertia dampeners), but for the rest its just getting used to it.

4. Elfi Wolfe Apprentice Engineer

You can use a script to try to emulate it.

5. Sinbad Senior Engineer

:? build your ships with awesomely huge (25m/s/s+) lateral and dorsal acceleration (sideways and up/down), then put on damping and use toolbar groups in the cockpit to override thrust on the rear thrusters (make sure they can provide at least twice the acceleration as the lateral and dorsal directions) to emulate a throttle. dont use the WASDCSpace keys at all. your ship now flies like an airplane. have fun getting shot down while dog fighting on your predictable flight vectors. no storm troopers in this game, turrets and players aim to hit you, not heighten the experience of being a hero pilot with pretty lights whizzing past your cockpit.

-OR-

i hate to use a 'git gud' argument :(, but... learn the strengths of 6DOF flight with dampers off. you can do some truly awesome maneuvers in a well built craft in SE that can make you extremely hard to hit. there are some tutorials on youtube (for learning 'flight assist off' flying in elite dangerous, but the principles are the same in SE) that can teach you the basics well enough to wipe the floor with anything AI driven (and a good percentage of players too). you wont look back to aircraft flight once you learn it. you are in space, not WW2, act like it! ;)

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.