Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

IMyInventory.GetItems() Returning MyInventoryItem instead of IMyInventoryItem

Discussion in 'Programming (In-game)' started by Java_SE_Binary, Mar 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Old Garyman Trainee Engineer

I agree with you on that. I don't really need it either.
    For my ingame scripts I only use 2 decimal places with center rounding. It's good to display this on LCDs.
    Maybe there are situations where accuracy is important. MyFixedPoint is not only used for ingame scripts, or maybe it is. You certainly know it better than I do.

2. Malware Master Engineer

No, it is indeed used internally. This is one of my big issues with the scripting api; that it's way too close to the metal and should have been sandboxed properly.

3. Roxette Senior Engineer

Why is this still such a problem everywhere in the game? I move an integral number of components from one inventory to another and then both of them have ~ prefixes on the number, because somehow a floating point error was introduced...

4. Malware Master Engineer

Because it is a problem in general for software. If you first have started getting floating point issues, they tend to spread like viruses... :p

... and as I said because they insist on accuracies I don't feel we need.

5. ThisIsADogHello Apprentice Engineer

MyFixedPoint isn't a floating point type, though, as the name implies. It's a fixed point type, with its underlying type being a long. Floating point errors are only getting introduced because it's getting cast to/from floats/doubles in places.

It doesn't help any that the type doesn't know whether it's supposed to behave like a count or like an amount, so it's up to the devs, whenever they're using the type, to make sure that they're using it correctly in that context, with the specific types of items involved. Without the type enforcing the constraints itself, all it takes is one intern somewhere to slip up and introduce the possibility of floating point imprecision to knock down the whole house of cards.

6. Malware Master Engineer

My...

point

exactly.

I'm not sorry.

7. ThisIsADogHello Apprentice Engineer

* Fixed that for you

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.