Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Inconsistent physical shape count

Discussion in 'General' started by Kittenpants, Feb 12, 2020.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Malware Master Engineer

It may be flat, but it is still sloped which the system can't deal with properly + you're getting the extra sides which must be there to avoid holes in other configurations. The system works best for 90 degree sides. I once more suggest switching on debug display through Alt-f10 (if I'm not misremembering the hot key again) and you can see what is going on.

2. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

It doesn't like you.

3. Kittenpants Trainee Engineer

Yeah, it's F11. I kept trying alt-F10 last time you mentioned it, but that brings up a different set of menus. I see what you're talking about now in terms of debug options. That said, I don't understand what you're suggesting I should look at. I see an option for turning on anchor points, and an option to "enable debug draw", but that one doesn't seem to overlay any sort of shape information.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
  4. Malware Master Engineer

Sorry, I'm terrible at remembering those hotkeys for some reason :D

5. Kittenpants Trainee Engineer

@Malware Wow, removing all of those slopes that I used to smooth out the inside of the ship freed up a TON of physical shape allowance. Thanks for the info!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Stardriver907 Master Engineer

High praise, indeed. @Kittenpants, you've just been Knighted.

Especially considering most 1:1 builds in SE are usually smaller than the original.

So, Kittenpants, between Commander Rotal covering the outsides and Malware covering the insides, you just can't get better advice, you lucky bastard. Don't squander it.

That means you ship is about 400 meters shorter than Chilkoot, but it's about 125 meters wider. It puts Donnager in the same ballpark with Amanda Tapping and Chilkoot Trail, which means you now have full authority to lean on Keen when it comes to matters of performance, since Keen is the only limit we have to finishing our ships.

Not following The Expanse, Commander? I think the first two seasons are available on the SyFy channel's web site. All seasons are available on Amazon and free with Prime. Otherwise, YouTube is full of stuff about the show itself.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  7. Commander Rotal Master Engineer

I don't know Cap, i hear it's all realism and stuff that ain't my cup of earl grey.

8. Stardriver907 Master Engineer

Understood, Commander.

Carry on.

Are you at least enjoying Picard?

9. Commander Rotal Master Engineer

@Stardriver907 ... it's not Discovery-bad but it's... not fantastic. Episode 1 was great but it's kinda gone downhill from there. Episodes 1 through 3 really should have been one 90 minute episode and 4 really annoyed me with some decisions as well. I've got a bit of hope for tonight's Episode 5 but... let's just say i hope it picks up some speed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Sentinel-Ghost Apprentice Engineer

I would suggest reading the books first!

11. Kittenpants Trainee Engineer

@Commander Rotal The realism is what gives it the framework and consistency to tell the kind of gripping SPACE-based story that Star Trek has been failing at for decades. The funny thing about virtually all space-based sci-fi on television, or even in movies, is that none of it actually bothers to show you what it would be like to operate in space, or what a plausible dynamic would be like for the parties involved. All of the weirdness and challenges that make space interesting has been consistently tossed out the window because writers are either not interested in understanding it, or they think audiences are too stupid to understand it. The Expanse is written by intelligent people who care, for an audience whose intelligence and attention span it respects. It's fantastic! The realistic physics of space shape not only the design of the ships and locations of the show, but also the drama that arises for the characters. And because it's all based on that consistent framework, instead of being pulled out of some writer's ass, it forces a consistency to the storytelling that's often lacking elsewhere. The things people do make sense because they're motivated by phenomenon that make sense. Also, it's just a seriously awesome story.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Stardriver907 Master Engineer

After the second episode I get the vibe that the show was hastily written. Perhaps the Discovery fiasco had something to do with that.

The thing about The Expanse is it really looks like it was done by Keen Software House. There is a scene where the Rocinante. gets in a firefight. Only the pilot is in the ship, there are turrets firing from all over the ship, each one shooting a different target. A typical SE space battle. Keen should sue.

Take a look:
    [​IMG]
    Right out of SE. If you want more proof, there's also a Lego set.

@Kittenpants there is an Epstein Drive mod that might help you.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.