Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Interstellar Mining and Defense Corp.

Discussion in 'Community Creations' started by JD.Horx, Jul 5, 2015.

?

What to build next?

Poll closed Mar 15, 2018.
  1. build a new military ...

3 vote(s)
    15.0%
  2. build a new civil ...

9 vote(s)
    45.0%
  3. ... large grid ship!

5 vote(s)
    25.0%
  4. ... small grid ship!

1 vote(s)
    5.0%
  5. ... station!

2 vote(s)
    10.0%
  6. just finish that battle cruiser of yours!

5 vote(s)
    25.0%
  7. just give me more station modules!

2 vote(s)
    10.0%
  8. do something completely different, that could be...

2 vote(s)
    10.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. jonnytaco Apprentice Engineer

How about a large grid guided missile heavy cruiser that also has a MAC? Maybe some reasonable production capacity and a modest hangar facility to allow for isolated refitting?

Seems churrosaur and I are thinking something similar :)

• Like Like x 1
  2. High Ground Apprentice Engineer

Large Ship Ideas

- Need some kind of torpedo system for you fleet, so you can engage at longer ranges. (time to update the Pandora Frigate?)
    - So far you have, Corvettes, Destroyers, Frigates and a Various Carrier designs (both fighter and drone). Time for a Cruisers and Battleships or perhaps a Flagship?
    - Your Drone carrier was and excellent design. Perhaps you could expand upon it and make it in to a full line carrier?
    - Have a few different carriers, a smaller Jeep carrier with limited fighter complement and a Full Line Carrier with expanded fighter complement (its nice to have options)

Small Ship Ideas

- Torpedo Bomber
    - Small troop transport (flying version)
    - mining craft
    - repair craft
    - salvage craft

Station Ideas

- Update your refining station
    - Build a Outposts that act like the Pirate Stations and send out fighter to attack.
    - Build a land base fortification which you forces use planet side.

That's all I've got for now.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Whiplash141 Junior Engineer

• Like Like x 3
  4. The Churrosaur Junior Engineer

I'm just betting all of whiplash's code secretly harbors a virus that will take over all our ships and render us helpless as WMI sweeps through the galaxy looting and pillaging...

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Howitz Junior Engineer

Whiplash is definetely this kind of evil genius... I have seen, things...

"Kick from cockpit trought ownership change, then switch grav gen 1/-1 non-stop"

• Funny Funny x 2
  6. JD.Horx Senior Engineer

Thanks for all the ideas guys. I am really motivated to do some creative in SE today, but sadly my PC keeps crashing, not to desktop, but to full restart.

This is the first time SE gives me such kind of problems and I hope it will be fixed soon, though I can't give any crash report. It just restarts my computer when loading any world and playing for a minute.
    Already reinstalled on another drive but no change.

7. High Ground Apprentice Engineer

I do likes your torpedo designs, they work quite well. However building them on a server is a pain in the ass (not so much with small block ship). Getting large and small grind to work together in a pain.

I've seen a few big block torpodo designs out there and there pretty effective. Wondering if you have anything similar?

8. Howitz Junior Engineer

hey hi buddy! i don't see you on steam often these days. ohh i added you back, i probably remove you from my friendlist without even noticing it sry m8.

9. Whiplash141 Junior Engineer

The size of the torpedo is all preference. I can slap my code on a large grid but at that point, it is huge and kinda silly. Small grid is much cheaper and compact for the amount of punch that you get and it is very spammable.

10. JD.Horx Senior Engineer

I agree, building large grid torpedos affords really many ressources, one small thruster for one torpedo is rather costly in platinum. But I am also afraid of combining large and small grids in one ship.

However I won't be able to get my hands on my new carrier for the moment, as the game refuses to run longer than one minute on my new system. After the HD failure 2 months ago I installed Windows 10, maybe thats the reason for it.

11. Whiplash141 Junior Engineer

They are a little bit fickle but much better than they used to be :)

12. JD.Horx Senior Engineer

So, I put some work in my unfinished carrier project...

[​IMG]

IMDC Europa-class Carrier

Steam Link

I thought this project would never end, 200 meters to care of (rather small carrier).

• Like Like x 5
  13. iN5URG3NT Senior Engineer

I was waiting for you to release that JD! It's very nice, I especially like the Hydra docking.

Yep, I know that feeling. I've had a carrier hull kicking about for over a year now. Got to be the most difficult builds to complete IMO. Kudos for managing to finish yours!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. AutoMcD Senior Engineer

Looks cool. :)

15. The Churrosaur Junior Engineer

Whatever motivates you to build I need it. Every time I try to put together anything larger than a tank I go fuck it and test missiles instead.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Swanicus Apprentice Engineer

Carrier looks pretty sweet man. Props on such a smooth design.

Lol yea I know that feeling as well. I've been working on the Kinloss for about a year and a half. I just can't seem to get it to a point where I'm happy with it. I've easily rebuilt the interior 3 times. And I've adjusted the exterior about the same. Carriers are quite tricky honestly.

17. High Ground Apprentice Engineer

Carriers I find are different than every other ship in the fleet as you have to design them around a specific sized fighter design.

Now before we begin designing a carrier we need answer a few questions. And I'm going to be looking at this from a "realistic" perspective (what the game can currently handle).

A carriers minimum crew complement is 1 player to fly (the Captain) plus 1 fighter squadron (3-6 players per squadron). So minimum crew for a carrier is 4 - 7 players.

Now your probably asking isn't 3 - 6 players small for a squadron? And shouldn't a carrier have more than one squadron? What gives a squadron (and carrier) its strength is the number of times that squadron can sortie. For example say we have a 3 player squadron, and our carrier has 12 fighters. This means our squadron can sortie 4 times (# of fighters / # of pilots = # of sorties). So when a fighter gets knocked out or is out of ammo, there are fresh fighters standing by.

Now to decide how many fighters our carrier should hold we need to make sure our squadron can sortie at least 2 or more times. I recommend the 6/12/24 method.

6 Fighters - Jeep Carrier
    12 Fighters - Carrier
    24 Fighters - Fleet Carrier

18. High Ground Apprentice Engineer

The 6/12/24 method gives you plenty of options and since they are even number of fighter bays they are easier to construct. This 6/12/24 method is based of of the number of players in a squadron. If you have a small squadron of 3 - 4 players a 6 or 12 fighter carrier is good size and the 24 fighter carrier is great for a full squadron. You can build any size carrier you want (well with in reason of course), but build it to suit your needs. But don't over build your carrier either, try to keep the number of fighters under 36 or clang will start haunting your carrier.

More to come later....

19. tankmayvin Senior Engineer

With PMWs you can do an unlimited number of sorties until you run out of components and the minimum crew compliment is 1. Just 1. ;)

20. JD.Horx Senior Engineer

Built a light revamp of the Atlas, maybe too light, but I like the outcome. I didnt get my hands on the torpedo launcher, but maybe in the next days.

[​IMG]

And then we have a new drone. Its in fact unarmed, but is able to carry 2 torpedoes. Again, I dont think I figured this whole PMW thing out...

[​IMG]

The drone could be pretty fragile, but in fact it is quite cheap, so what...
    A version that is capable of space flight will come soon...

• Like Like x 2
  21. tankmayvin Senior Engineer

Really like that drone design.

22. The Churrosaur Junior Engineer

You do so much in this game. I am jealous.
    If you put up some blueprints (of the drone especially) I'm sure Whip (or me, or someone) could definitely give you some ideas of how to work in some PMWs/guided missiles.

Just out of dumb curiosity do you envision your atmospheric fleet more in a role of supporting ground operations in a reconnaissance landing craft sort of way, or actually in engaging enemy capital ships within an atmosphere? They're awesomely functional and good looking either way.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  23. High Ground Apprentice Engineer

But PMWs can be countered and (at least from my PvP experience) are only good for beginning and ending a fight. Once the fight starts and ship begin to move, PMWs quickly become a double edged sword as they can and do backfire. I've had it happen to me a few times where desync and Clang decide to join up and ruin your day. Not saying they don't have their place on the battle field, just saying they are more situational.

24. High Ground Apprentice Engineer

Carrier Methodology Continued.....

Hangar Bays

Now that you have you determined how may fighters you want your carrier to hold now its time to talk about hanger layout. Some prefer the "All in One" approach where there is only one hangar bay. This can lead to problems if the hangar area becomes damaged as floating blocks can destroy your fighters. On smaller carriers this not as big of an issue as it is for larger ones. I personally recommend the "Bay" approach as it offers the best protection for your fighters. For example you have carrier that houses 24 fighters, you could do 2 hangars with 12 fighters or even 3 hangars with 8 fighters, etc... By have multiple hangar bays you offer more protection for your fighter. Plus you want to keep your bays pretty cramped just enough room to get in and out (getting out should be faster than getting in).

Fighter Recovery

Recovering fighters is another matter where I've learned a few tricks. You can do the old tried and true method of flying back to the carrier and docking. But in combat this is not always possible, because a carrier is most vulnerable when its sitting still with its hangars open to space (especially to enemy fighters and PMWs). So I've developed the "Rally Point" method, its a simple as setting up a predetermined GPS coordinate (5-10k away form the battle) that your fighters can fly to on autopilot. You simply setup a timer block that you can either have on a timer (good for fighter that lose cockpits) or just trigger it that will, turn of your beacon and engage the autopilot and fly to the rally point.

So you in battle and you run out of ammo what do you do? Fly back to the carrier and reload? Or hit the autopilot timer block, hop out, respawn and then sortie in a fresh fighter? The latter is the better choice (at least that's what I've learned in PvP). And after the battle is over (providing your carrier survived) you can go recover you remaining fighters.

Hopefully this will give you more insight into carrier design (at least from a PvP perspective).

• Like Like x 1
  25. High Ground Apprentice Engineer

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  26. JD.Horx Senior Engineer

[​IMG]

I really could use some help with the torpedoes, I guess it would be nice if you would give me a link for a good design so I could check it out. I will credit everything accordingly :)
    I am eager to learn about the art of torpedo design and massive destruction.

And yeah, I envision frigates as the heaviest ships that are able to enter and leave planets without further modifications. Heavy ships are limited to deep space combat and orbital bombardment.

Edit: oops, double post.

• Agree Agree x 1
  27. JD.Horx Senior Engineer

@High Ground
    Well, specialized ships will always surpass multipurpose ships in a direct confrontation, but I guess that's alright.

You could say multipurpose is their "specialization" as they can reach nearly every spot in the SE universe, while the others can't. But I will publish some other space and atmosphere specialized ships in the next weeks as I have now a decent amount of multipurpose ships: the Atlas, Hydra, Protos, and Condor.

Protos needs an update though I forgot to connect up the rocket launchers. Plus it's in fact to heavy for a corvette. And it will need a style check concerning the segmentation of systems, thrusters and armor.

@jonnytaco Oh, a cruiser will definitely be coming, it's in the making. It will use the official cannon mod as I refuse to use those tiny guns on such a large warship.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  28. jonnytaco Apprentice Engineer

You could always make very nicely balanced small grid turrets now that we can lock the rotors w/o overburdening the design with landing gear on each axis. Reloading sequence has really been my only issue with small grid turrets thus far although I've yet to try it out post patch. Pre patch the landing gear were messing with the grids a bit and the script i was using to send the turret to a pre defined location and then turn connectors on for 2 seconds was getting lost so to speak.

Also, if you need some pointers for torp racks/torps and integration into a large grid just shoot my a PM. I've got a few methods I use however everything is far more simple now as you don't need to find room for small grid landing gear and a large grid connector to lock the rack. You also don't need timer block sequences to turn the LG off and on when a missile is fired to prevent a bug that would de power the rack when merge was tripped while landing gear was active.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2016
  29. JD.Horx Senior Engineer

I'm really straightforward concerning most game mechanics. I think in most cases the easiest solution is the best solution.

Custom turrets are nice to have, they are looking good, but I think they have too many issues (reloading, fiddly installing, repairing, manual aiming and firing and so on)
    So I will just put in Keens example cannon turrets as a place holder and wait for the actual vanilla counterpart.

It was already a huge step for me to say yes to ship torpedoes (and I guess it's just because I played some world of warships) and those are already fickle enough.

• Like Like x 1
  30. jonnytaco Apprentice Engineer

No doubt that custom turrets are "finiky" to say the least. They will also really only work on mp when the ship is not moving. I think we're going to have to wait until clients stop fighting each other in terms of grid locations for custom turrets to be viable in mp. Figured I toss the suggestion out there anyway tho :)

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.