Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Inverted controls for piloting.

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback' started by The Churrosaur, Apr 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. The Churrosaur Junior Engineer

Hey everybody.

Not sure if there's already a thread for this, but after being conditioned by so many other flight games to fly with an inverted Y-mouse it feels almost awkward trying to angle a ship with the Y-axis functioning "correctly".

Maybe an option to invert/set mouse controls for piloting separate from the general "invert Y" option would be neat?

Or perhaps this already exists in-game and I'm simply too stupid to find it.

--Thanks.

2. BiggLou55 Apprentice Engineer

Yeah... I've suggested this... +1... :)

3. Lancar Senior Engineer

I don't use this myself in SE, but on console i almost exclusively use inverted viewing controls so I understand your pain. It's hard to un-learn something like that. +1 from me as well.

4. Fus Apprentice Engineer

I am experimenting with the SpaceEngineers.cfg in the user save directory and have enabled a "proper" up and down for my X45 stick.
    Now both Astronaut and ship behave the same.

Have also managed to use Right Alt , the game won't let you map this but it works.

should I post the info in this thread or make a new one ?

5. Tufst1.1 Trainee Engineer

I agree with having an option for inverted flight controls. It's little but it counts. Also Fus how did you get the X45 set up on SE? I would love to know. :D

6. Fus Apprentice Engineer

If somebody can tell me how to embed xml code int the reply then I can tell you.

I tried to paste xml stuff and when I preview the post most of it has disappeared.

7. Captain Snyder Apprentice Engineer

Though I never learned how to use Inverted controls, for those who are used to using it, I believe it would be fairly helpful and not an entirely hard thing to program (Here's how I do fake programming)

if true = invert Y axis
    if false = ignore

There's my false coding today.

8. Fus Apprentice Engineer

I might as well do the full reply in this thread, I noticed yet another "inverted controls" thread has just appeared, wish the moderators would actually do some moderating...
    So, initially I did program the X45 to use keystrokes but that wasn't ideal so don't run the profiler.
    I looked into the SpaceEngineers.cfg in the save directory and after lots of trial and error found a few things.
    I sugest everybody uses a text editor that shows line numbers, like Notepad++.

Line 527 onwards reads :

<item>
    <Key xsi:type="xsd:string">3F8910F730ECF0EC859DC8BF0FFA9366</Key>
    <Value xsi:type="SerializableDictionaryOfStringString">
    <dictionary>
    <item>
    <Key xsi:type="xsd:string">Keyboard</Key>
    <Value xsi:type="xsd:string">H</Value>
    </item>
    <item>
    <Key xsi:type="xsd:string">Keyboard2</Key>
    <Value xsi:type="xsd:string">None</Value>
    </item>
    <item>
    <Key xsi:type="xsd:string">Mouse</Key>
    </item>
    <item>
    <Key xsi:type="xsd:string">Joystick</Key>
    </item>
    <item>
    <Key xsi:type="xsd:string">JoystickAxis</Key>
    <Value xsi:type="xsd:string">JYAxis+</Value>
    </item>
    </dictionary>
    </Value>
    </item>
    <item>

Notice that there is an H in there, that was entered in-game just to show me where to look in the .cfg :)
    JYAxis+ and JYAxis- is what you need.
    NOTE! the next block of code deals with Y minus, I haven't pasted that here. The line to change should be 576.

Other interesting things :
    The game controls screen won't allow you to use certain keys, like ALT-GR but you can edit the .cfg to make it use odd keys.
    I found this so far :

RightAlt is the correct syntax for ALT-GR.
    Extra mouse buttons seems to accept XButton1 and 2, use this for those buttons on the side. If you have more than two side buttons then experiment a bit !

I can't get the throttle to do anything, I need to know what the axes names are ( KEEN DEVS ! )
    JDUP, JDLeft etc is D pad or POV, this works and gives you strafing in four directions.

You don't have to write protect the .cfg but a backup copy when you get it working is recommended. If you try to guess at key names ( like the APP or Menu key ) the game reverts to default settings, don't panic! Look in the SpaceEngineers.txt (log) and it will tell you which key setting caused the problem.

Hey Snyder, I know you're only 15 but, pointless post you made there, no useful input at all.

(Wow, with IE I get all of the usual formatting options, with firefox I get nothing !)

9. Un1ver5al Trainee Engineer

That was a bit harsh Fus. If True/False was applied to the cockpit state then its a sound rule, if a little general. However it would still need to be a toggleable option by the user, as not everyone will find the setup useful.

Good work tracking down the offending code, and I'm pleased to see that this is pretty much a possibility. I now expect to see more progress from the devs in making control customisation available for the majority.

10. Fus Apprentice Engineer

When I have time I'll try to work out if I can get the throttle working, if not then I guess those of us with programmable sticks will have to do just that but at least basic joysticks should work.

The only thing I can't do yet is move forwards or back :(
    I also need to start discovering the correct names for the buttons, none of them do anything yet.

Important !

It seems that you have to use the correct name for your stick. On or around line 25 there is a place to name it, I simply wrote "Saitek X45" and it worked.
    I just plugged in a Saitek ST 290 Pro and it didn't work, then I changed the name and it kind of works ( different axes or something ).

I found the name from 'Devices and Printers' will do ( Win 7 ). I have a Saitek Cyborg Rumble pad too, that didn't work under "x45" :) I'll change the name later and see if I get any response from it.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.