Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Is ME development dead?

Discussion in 'General' started by CptSpaetzle, Nov 9, 2018.

1. CptSpaetzle Trainee Engineer

Ok, what is going on with the ME development? In the last couple of years I got used to ME's development cycle. Getting tiny-winy updates every week was not perfect for me, and many times resulted in me stopping playing for 4-6 months to come back later to see any reasonable progress, but it never felt abandoned. From what I can tell now, there is not much happening since the last update in September. Game is far from being complete, most of it's best content comes from community-based modes, zero input is coming from DEVs on any of short or long perspective plans. Am I missing something here or is this game's development just halted?

2. Ghostickles Senior Engineer

Dunno, doubt it but KEEN has been acting strange of late, who knows. Maybe development stalled because Marek wants glass added but has not decided to make it dirty or clear yet. J/k guys, who knows. There may be more info on other social media channels, dunno, don't use them.
    Keeping my eyes on forum.
    o.o

3. CptTwinkie ME Asst. Producer Staff

When I first read the OP I thought it meant LAST September. I had a real WTF moment. I guess you mean two months ago. Basically, management felt we were spending too much time on the weekly releases and they also don't like seeing bug fix releases. So we only release now when we have a larger set of changes. It takes some time to put together something more significant and polish it up for release. So our scale is now in months rather than days.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. Cetric Junior Engineer

People talking about a game in development being "abandoned" or "dying" or "ruined" - I see them in all projects I am currently attending. Space and Medieval Engineers, Naval Action, especially Mount & Blade Bannerlord...
    Patience is an asset nowadays you don't find on every corner...
    I used to get upset at this sort of comments, because they easily get the character of rumors and spread among the kids out there like crazy, damaging reputation of the studios. People just don't have any idea how long it takes to develop a game if it's gonna be good. And if I, as a fan, become upset, I wonder how developers must feel about their work getting denigrated so easily by flaming talk of ignorant people.
    --
    This is just a general observation. I don't mean to address the thread starter by this content personally.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. ibisgrunk Apprentice Engineer

a building/social game going through early access imho will have this kind of vibe to it. it can be tough to be a builder and lose castles, lose a server, and mostly lose things you spent time on... my metaphor of the chef is still in the kitchen cooking dinner has nothing to do with our hunger!!!! also realize the dev for ME is the tail wagging the dog for dev with SE and a lot of the issues in ME can translate to the other title's improvement imho.

@CptTwinkie - give us a teaser! its good for sales and word-of-mouth recommendation imho. after what i call the Summer of Silence i feel what this thread poster is asking, and we all get the nightmare of trickle-out software creating problems but imho i would talk to your marketing team and knowing how the holiday seasons can boost sales (using Keens own reply that almost all development on ME is financially based) why not toss out some teasers of what is to come in the next 1, 3, and 6 months? proud of this run on sentence... our hunger would gladly eat a shout out "hey guys wait until you see the new Armor Skins coming out this winter..." or "we took everything ibisgrunk recommended and have implemented it causing perfection..." or "that water mod that doesn't really work but still got a massive player base excited about ME again has spawned water for moats" or "wtf are you guys playing rails on an ME server so much?" or

@Cetric, i remember first time i engaged with you i got confrontational and now i absolutely love you as a man, player, and a good citizen of Earth. in the movie The Conclave you would be the Cardinal from Sienna, Aeneas Sylvius Piccolomini, that becomes Pope Pius II. you have my adoration vote... watching that movie is your project for today! when you post it is the gavel of reason.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  6. Cetric Junior Engineer

Huh, don't make me blush under my noseguard! :) Right; seems now I have to watch that movie. With Conclave I tend to connect a DLC of 'Crusader Kings II' (also a recommendation for fans of the Middle Ages, if we are already at it...) before getting that hint.

7. CptSpaetzle Trainee Engineer

@CptTwinkie, thanks for your answer.

Don't get me wrong, the question was not meant to be whiny or impatient. I clearly understand how much work hours it takes to develop a game nowadays and I don't mind the longer dev cycle. What I am missing here is some clear vision or a roadmap if you please, to understand where this game is heading. I think @ibisgrunk is getting my point. Feeling this info is missing, I was thinking maybe it is somewhere around, just in the other channel (like, the forum is less active, devs are using Discord to communicate updates). But it seems like at least some players feel the same vibe.

8. CptTwinkie ME Asst. Producer Staff

There was a teaser during the tournament this past weekend.

Marek Rosa laid out his vision for the game in 2015. We've managed to get a few extras in over time but he's still enforcing his original "roadmap"

9. CptSpaetzle Trainee Engineer

@CptTwinkie there are a couple of threads on this forum asking for roadmap with no clear answer from the devs/PR and the last video on ME Youtube channel is 1 month old, would you care to provide a link to that teaser and Marek's vision you're referring to?

10. CptTwinkie ME Asst. Producer Staff

The teaser was in the middle of the stream somewhere. Xocliw is preparing a version finished version of the stream from our recording. I should be able to provide a link to it once that is ready.

As for Marek's vision... just go back to the original announcements on the forum or read his old blog posts about Medieval Engineers. There was quite a bit of information given out very early on. Just go back to the beginning and you will find it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Thales M. Junior Engineer

12. CptTwinkie ME Asst. Producer Staff

Thanks for the screenshot, Thales! I'm so busy my head is spinning and this helps!

13. ibisgrunk Apprentice Engineer

@CptTwinkie well played sir, well played. asking for a teaser i got a teaser. well played.

decode this:

1. Rxg7+ Kh8
    2. Rxh7+ Kg8
    3. Rbg7#

14. CptTwinkie ME Asst. Producer Staff

That's my go-to move!